XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Any enthusiast made products out there to fix common XJS problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any enthusiast made products out there to fix common XJS problems?

I'm considering picking up an 85 HE and assuming it runs fine when I go to look at it, I may trade my car for it and bring it home with me. I know Jaguars have always been plagued by problems, and I know it's mostly from crappy electronics, rubber/plastic parts, and placement of components rather than the actual engines themselves, so I know once any of those problems arise and are dealt with, I would potentially have a pretty reliable car. But by reading the Experience in a Book novel this guy has written, and the page with the guy with the 78 I believe it is XJS and how he fixed his problems, I should have enough know how between those, this forum, and my friend who's a Jag master mechanic to fix anything short of a blown motor that would arise.

Now on to my question...

I've been doing some reading on the XJS and the v12 and it seems some of the problems the v12 suffered from initially were solved in the HE model, but not all. Things like bad wiring harnesses, oil leaks, all that stuff are still present. I'm just curious if anyone knows of people in the Jag community that make their own products to sell to other enthusiasts that fix common ailments? I saw on the guy's 78ish XJS where he rebuilt his own fuel rail and injector harness, and where the guy with the book mentions a guy that build aluminum half moon seals to fix the common leakage problems. I'm just looking to see if anyone has a list of people who have made products to fix common XJS problems.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've not found any that do, but my list of fixes/needs may be different than yours. There are parts interchanges a jag # that crosses to something else more available and usually cheaper.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I'm just looking to see if anyone has a list of people who have made products to fix common XJS problems.

Not quite sure what you're getting at. As you know many XJS owners have made up their own wiring harnesses, throttle bushings, etc. Are you asking if anyone sells any of their home-brewed fixes?

If that's the question, no, I haven't heard of anyone.

There ARE aftermarket suppliers, though, who sell upgraded replacement parts.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I've been reading of those aftermarket parts. I come from the Datsun Z community and there are soooooo many products made to fix/upgrade the Z cars whether it be a guy who does it on the own at home after work, or actually small companies making parts for enthusiast vehicles...just thought I'd see if there were any people like that in this community.