XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Banjo fitting washers on trans cooler hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Banjo fitting washers on trans cooler hoses?

Good morning,

I am replacing the automatic transmission cooler hoses on my '95 XJS 4.0L. When I disconnected the banjo fittings at the transmission case, there was a washer between the bolt and banjo fitting, but not between the banjo fitting and transmission case (same scenario on both fittings).

Isn't there suppose to be one on each side of the fittings?

Attached is the picture from the parts manual and the washers are #4, The parts manual says a total of 4 are required (2 per fitting, right?).

Maybe that is also contributing to the a slow seepage of fluid???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

Attached Thumbnails Banjo fitting washers on trans cooler hoses?-transmission-cooler-line-banjo-fittings.jpg  
Old 06-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Yes both sides of the banjo bolt need copper washers for them to seal, and the washers need to be the correct size and thickness.

If you are not worried about keeping it original I would ditch the banjo and install JIC compression fittings, these are leak proof as long as the mating surfaces are in good condition.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you Warrjon. That's what I thought. I am keeping the banjos at the transmission ends but changing to the JIC type at the radiator (new Wizard Cooling radiator).

Thanks for the input.

Scott