XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Brake Failure XJS V12 Advice on Parts needed please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Brake Failure XJS V12 Advice on Parts needed please.

Hi

After my recent loss of Brakes, due to a 'Stuck Caliper' XJS V12

I can get a Service Exchange Caliper for £74-00 and I may as well put new disc pads in, while I am about it and these cost about £20

Should I just buy the Standard Pads or some other type?

Is Dot4 Brake Fluid the Stuff to use? How much will I need?

Should I just put new pistons in the Caliper or get a re-manufactured one?

Is 'Pagid' a good make?

I can get all this from Europarts.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:25 AM
Received 10,296 Likes on 6,814 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi

After my recent loss of Brakes, due to a 'Stuck Caliper' XJS V12

I can get a Service Exchange Caliper for £74-00 and I may as well put new disc pads in, while I am about it and these cost about £20

Should I just buy the Standard Pads or some other type?

Is Dot4 Brake Fluid the Stuff to use? How much will I need?

Should I just put new pistons in the Caliper or get a re-manufactured one?

Is 'Pagid' a good make?

I can get all this from Europarts.
OB, my answers in order of asking.

Pads a subjective. I have always ran Semi Metalic in the XJ cars, with no abnormal rotor wear, BUT, mine and our driving style/conditions would be very different to the UK. Mostly 100's of KM's without even touching teh brake pedal, but when ya gotta stop, ya gotta stop.

I run Dot4, my choice, and we sell it at work more than Dot3, so quantity buying means less $$.

You are there and can see the wear/pitting of the caliper, but I would put a pair of reman calipers over messing with rebuilding, again MY choice.

Never heard of that brand.

Additional:

The master cylinder would be a high item on my list, as it is cast iron (as are ALL the calipers), and atmospheric moisture has probably contributed to/caused, all the other issues.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

You still haven't told us which year car you're talking about.

The price of service recon calipers is quite reasonable so, unless you're really interested in doing the work yourself, I wouldn't bother refurbing your own.

As regards fluid, Dot 4 is absolutely fine. You haven't said what state are your discs and pads? I'm guessing that if you didn't get an MoT advisory, then they must be quite good? However, if you do change them, then naturally you need new pads. Again, I'm not sure what mileage you'll do. If it's 3k upwards per year, I'd put in EBC redstuff or greenstuff pads. If it's literally just 1k-2k per year, then I'd probably go with standard Mintex or Ferodo pads.

I would just go to David Manners and buy the whole lot there. Decent quality parts.

If you need a master cylinder, you really need to consider the whole issue. The master cylinder is sold integral with the ABS block on the early Teves ABS system. So, £1000 new and they're not available anymore.

Good luck. It's a nice afternoons work doing discs, calipers and pads!

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 05-17-2014 at 08:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
OB, my answers in order of asking.

Pads a subjective. I have always ran Semi Metalic in the XJ cars, with no abnormal rotor wear, BUT, mine and our driving style/conditions would be very different to the UK. Mostly 100's of KM's without even touching teh brake pedal, but when ya gotta stop, ya gotta stop.

I run Dot4, my choice, and we sell it at work more than Dot3, so quantity buying means less $$.

You are there and can see the wear/pitting of the caliper, but I would put a pair of reman calipers over messing with rebuilding, again MY choice.

Never heard of that brand.

Additional:

The master cylinder would be a high item on my list, as it is cast iron (as are ALL the calipers), and atmospheric moisture has probably contributed to/caused, all the other issues.
Hi Grant

Thanks for your much appreciated help

I think you are right, messing around with a self rebuild, could be counter productive, so I will get a pair of Service Exchange ones and new pads.

Pagid is more than likely the Trade Name of the firm who rebuilds Calipers.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

You still haven't told us which year car you're talking about.

The price of service recon calipers is quite reasonable so, unless you're really interested in doing the work yourself, I wouldn't bother refurbing your own.

As regards fluid, Dot 4 is absolutely fine. You haven't said what state are your discs and pads? I'm guessing that if your didn't get an MoT advisory, then they must be quite good? However, if you do change them, then naturally you need new pads. Again, I'm not sure what mileage you'll do. If it's 3k upwards per year, I'd put in EBC redstuff or greenstuff pads. If it's literally just 1k-2k per year, then I'd probably go with standard Mintex or Ferodo pads.

I would just go to David Manners and buy the whole lot there. Decent quality parts.

If you need a master cylinder, you really need to consider the whole issue. The master cylinder is sold integral with the ABS block on the earley Teves ABS system. So, £1000 new and they're not available anymore.

Good luck. It's a nice afternoons work doing discs, calipers and pads!

Paul
Hi Paul

Although I did say XJS V12 in the 'Post,' Perhaps I should have said that its the Grey one!

The one with the 'Banging Exhaust' which seems to have quietened down a bit, except for the noise that sounds like breaking China.

At the bottom of the 'Down Pipe' there is a Flimsy metal shield and although it doesn't appear to be in contact, I think that it must be at times, which then seems to cause a squeaking like the Springs on a bed.

Which to me sounds more like broken China being stirred up with a Stick.

I noticed on my 'Scrapper' that the Exhaust had been clamped to this shield at the bottom of the 'Down Pipe' So they must have had a very similar problem.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Pagid is more than likely the Trade Name of the firm who rebuilds Calipers.
I know you can't judge by a website but it looks like they should know something about brakes.

Home: PAGID RS - Motorsport and High Performance Brake Pads http://www.pagid.com/

"A comprehensive range
As well as brake pads, the Pagid range includes brake discs, shoes, drums, hydraulic cylinders and brake fluids – in fact almost every component of the braking system. And with parts to fit more than 91% of vehicles on UK roads, you can be fairly sure that the Pagid range has your car covered."

Old 05-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
I know you can't judge by a website but it looks like they should know something about brakes.

Home: PAGID RS - Motorsport and High Performance Brake Pads http://www.pagid.com/

"A comprehensive range
As well as brake pads, the Pagid range includes brake discs, shoes, drums, hydraulic cylinders and brake fluids – in fact almost every component of the braking system. And with parts to fit more than 91% of vehicles on UK roads, you can be fairly sure that the Pagid range has your car covered."
Thanks for that Norri, I will have a look!