XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

British Diagnostic - V130/V131 Mongoose and all that

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts
Default British Diagnostic - V130/V131 Mongoose and all that

Hello All...

Crazy me... The neighbor who has a problem that involves compulsively buying Jaguars and Porsches on auction offered me a beautiful (looking) 2003 XKR at a price that is nearly a give away.

I just spent the day reading thru a thread (revival of a flooded Texas XKR) that describes a device and software ( British Diagnostic V130/V131.03 ISD and SSD kit) ​​​​that would allow me (I think) to hunt down and purchase various control modules and electri-cals (guided by the cars VCat charting) to diagnose and replace damaged components and reprogram them...? Is this true?

Is there anyone who can offer me any guidance on getting myself one of these diagnostic tools? Past experience? Do and DON'T do's?

For now, any sort O breakdown would do,,, and,
as always,

I am super grateful, more appreciative of any and all guidance, wisdom and experience offered by y'all....

I need to save this car!

Old 12-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Why are you starting another thread???????

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sd-ssd-226342/

This is the sort of thing that does not help at all!

Old 12-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Why not? There are a group of people that I have worked with here, on my XJS, as well... Do you,,, disapprove? What's the matter?

Old 12-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Why are you starting another thread???????

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sd-ssd-226342/

This is the sort of thing that does not help at all!
Doesn't help, what? My Mama always told me that 2 heads are better than one...

In my experience (short as it may be) folks here are knowledgeable, experienced, friendly and and and...

Old 12-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Your questions have already been well answered in your original thread.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Your questions have already been well answered in your original thread.
So I'll ask you again...
Will I be able to basically refresh "new" (if I try my best to match modules I find on eBay - for instance) control modules with the British Diagnostic device and software, enabling them to talk to the original equipment (ECU/ECM) in this damaged XKR?

Does the British Diagnostic device have that capability, and what exactly do I need to purchase as one of my first steps at approaching my problems? For instance,,, the transmission control module...

I have the computer (laptop) part down...I think.

My friend,,, I was a high school chemistry teacher for years and if my students weren't "getting it",,, I never blamed them. Jus say'n. I wouldn't try to impress them by using term, modes of thought, complex descriptions etc just because

Old 12-04-2019, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Who is trying to impress anyone.

I think you are way out of your depth.

Good luck you are going to need it!

Old 12-04-2019, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Who is trying to impress anyone.

I think you are way out of your depth.

Good luck you are going to need it!
Lol,,, that's the whole point! I am out of my depth... It's exactly why I'm seeking and asking for help... I know this. I'm learning here. It's why a LOT of us come to the forum... Jeeeeeze Louise

Old 12-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,519 Likes on 1,181 Posts

British Diagnostic device is junk.

I bought one a few years ago. Worked for a few months, then stopped.

Although they initially had good customer service, helping me to get it to work initially, but once it stopped several months later, I was never able to get them to respond to any requests for help.

Its a knockoff of the Mongoose. Either buy that, or find a real VCM or WDS.

You’ve been warned.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
British Diagnostic device is junk.

I bought one a few years ago. Worked for a few months, then stopped.

Although they initially had good customer service, helping me to get it to work initially, but once it stopped several months later, I was never able to get them to respond to any requests for help.

Its a knockoff of the Mongoose. Either buy that, or find a real VCM or WDS.

You’ve been warned.
You mean the 500dollar cable?

Hoping you'll forgive my ignorance... Can you show me an example of the VCM or WDS? I don't know what they are and,,, why are they better than the mongoose cable or are they just a whole different thing?

Also,,, if it's cheap and gets me close to where I need to be,,, dealing just once with the modules in this BEAUTIFUL car,,, I can live with that loss.

Can I reprogram used modules with it is a real question too... Does the v130 software allow me to reprogram the x100 xk/xkr range vehicles

Old 12-04-2019, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,088 Likes on 2,048 Posts

On the X300 forum I have heard that basically anything other than the genuine Mongoose from Drew Technologies is a crapshoot. If a cheap knockoff cable fails during a reflash or programming of a module, you just turned the module into a door stop. Not worth it to me and I spent the $600 on the genuine thing. No problems for what I needed it to do.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Not worth it to me and I spent the $600 on the genuine thing. No problems for what I needed it to do.
Yeah,,, Thanks Jag,I've,,, been hearing the same... Hmm. Right now the whole (I'll say damn BeaUTifulll) car is a door stop... I'll take some photos of it and put them up on Saturday...

Based on the screenshot of the brit diagnostic web site,,, I still don't know if the the doggone software (or any v130/131 software) can reprogram xkr modules,,, from seats, to alarm systems, to TCMs to ECMs...

Will this/these devices reprogram important replaced modules on these amazing machines? It's what I need to figure out... Before I can do anything.

The BD website doesn't answer and I get different answers in much of what I read

Old 12-04-2019, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

You should be able to find DVD's of the SDD software with a working password on Ebay for not a lot. The expensive part is the cable to communicate with the car. On my X Type it can configure some of the modules, such as the radio for example, I could change it from European to North American frequency ranges, I could change the DRL's from on to off and vice versa, but if a module was toast it can't reload a factory default program onto it. For some things it is possible to change, but you need a one time use factory code to do it, like reprogramming the odometer, and you have to be at a dealer to get the code.

To be pedantic, you can modify, but not reflash a module. If what is there now is corrupt, you're not going to be able to bring that back. You might be able to buy new modules for the same year and market and emission spec and then get that working (possibly) but I don't think it's possible to load a new factory program onto a dead module.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

I don't intend on trying to save damaged modules... For the number (don't know how many) that are damaged, I want/need to purchase "new" modules, paying attention to MY, VCats and suffix codes and reprogram the modules that are not plug and play... If that is possible? I want, need and am hoping to learn if that's possible... I've gotten both yes and no answers to this question.

For me,,, I love this ****,,, not a source of worry or fear. I resist the fear thing... I'm going to take a slow look at the car this weekend. Dash lights up, no water in oil, engine spins super smooth,,, but I know there are issues. Radio looked funky. I will find a high water mark somehow, pull a few modules and open them and see what's cooking inside, excuse the pun.

If things don't look toooooo bad, I will get me a good steady source 30 - 40amp battery charger, the software and clone cable - being as careful as I can be and WORK to get as familiar with the software before ever plugging it into the car... Then, plug it in and start taking readings. It's the only option in can see at this point.

I can't let the car rot, I have a space to work on it for months if need be, and the guy will let me do that before I pay him a dime. I'll get into a $15,000 car and possibly lose $150 in gearing up for the work - BUT I have another XK8 I can use the diagnostic on, I néed a good battery charger - what the heck, and software won't hurt, to have...

Sorry for using you all to vent and process, lol. I appreciate your response and for listening to me dribble, lol... I was just hoping for some clarity before a dive... What's under the waterline, so to speak.

We'll see what happens!
Peace

Old 12-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

I've been watching lots and lots of FORD IDS system descriptions from walk throughs of the IDS system itself to flashing, programming and reprogramming examples - lots of things... I will continue. It does not seem all that difficult once familiar with the IDS diagnostic systems itself....

I know Ford is not exactly Jaguar,,, but would/should I expect a lot of similarities between the two IDS systems??? - of course abbreviations will be different (and other things). But is the IDS menu and command system/layout basically the same,,, in y'all's experience?

Without being tied into the internet and actually communicating with JLR server,,, I really don't think i will have access to the post flash data codes I will need to reprogram a module/component. BUT if I am familiar enough with the IDS system,,, I can get myself right to the POINT where I am ready with my module repairs and then RENT some time from the JDS server???? It expensive, by the hour, but if I am prepared I can really cut down on the time I am on the TOPix JLR server and just be inn and out fast.

What I've seen in vids where they are reprogramming entire ECUs (PCM in the case of Ford I think was the acronym) they enter all of the information about the car,,,, including the OLD ECU part number to be flashed and reprogrammed with the ignition off. The IDS system prompts and reprompts to turn the key to the on position to continue. Once the key is turned on it TRICKS the IDS system into flashing the foreign non original part,,, then 1, 2, 3 times it begins rewriting or over writing the old programing on the new foreign module. Me,,, I'm wondering if that would be the process with the say,,, ca body control or security modules in a Jag???

Thoughts???
I'm all all all ears...

PS... I've gone ahead and ordered a battery charging system that will stream a constant 30amps not allowing the battery to fall below the DANGER threshold...

This is getting fun.

​​

Old 12-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

There goes the "FUN", lol...

All around that machine today, all day, and not much accomplished... I need a fully charged battery, for one.

I am a little struck by what seems like a difference in ECU/ECMs... This has a single near square, but rectangular ECU/ECM... One plug... Is the transmission TCM built into one unit? I've seen others online that are flatter, wider and have multiple plugs... I'm sure I need a new unit, which ain't bad, it's the uncertainty about programming....

I compared this to an ECU/M from another XKR and they are the same, same numbers EXCEPT that looooong string of little numbers seen in the photo under the bar code-ish looking thing.

Then, there's the body processing module. Can't tell anything about that. Lots here,,, all of it undiscovered country for me... Might be completely out of my depth here,,, but I'll keep swimming. Not really risking anything,,, YET, lol

This second photo is one (same size and shape) as found on eBay... Different digits... What's with the lay over sticker?

Last edited by JayJagJay; 12-07-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar followed the Ford system of part numbering at the time. The 3W83 indicated the car like ( XK), 10K975 is the part type (ecu) and the suffix (BA) is the particular part or issue. Generally you need to match everything, but not always.

In this case it's possible that BA is the original issue and then there was a later revision or TSB issued and a new version of the software was installed for whatever reason and it became a BE. X300's has that quite a bit there was a campaign for exhaust recirculation revisions, and a new chip was installed which made it a different ECU, so a new sticker with part number was installed. You'd need to know if BE supersedes BA and is interchangeable, or if they are different markets/emission specifications ( 2 or 4 O2 sensors for example) and are not interchangable.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Jaguar followed the Ford system of part numbering at the time. The 3W83 indicated the car like ( XK), 10K975 is the part type (ecu) and the suffix (BA) is the particular part or issue. Generally you need to match everything, but not always.

In this case it's possible that BA is the original issue and then there was a later revision or TSB issued and a new version of the software was installed for whatever reason and it became a BE. X300's has that quite a bit there was a campaign for exhaust recirculation revisions, and a new chip was installed which made it a different ECU, so a new sticker with part number was installed. You'd need to know if BE supersedes BA and is interchangeable, or if they are different markets/emission specifications ( 2 or 4 O2 sensors for example) and are not interchangable.
Nice... Thank you, Jag,,, and good to know. Really! This is what I'm looking at... A really really nice *looking* car.

At this stage,,, source of assurance,,, and reassurance helps A LOT. Comfort with my own bad brains, and super limited knowledge and experience is a tough combination at this stage when thinking about whether to continue... From what you know are the Ford ECUs programmable? Re-programmable? Do they need to be? I mean if I can find one that superceded,,,, is it a matter of just plugging it in?

​​​​​​Maybe the newer ECU design is good news? I can find them online, but before, I'll need to figure out which to buy and the possibility of programming, and purchase of the programming equipment, IF it makes sense. Don't even know if the old one (this one) is bad yet...

Now, I'm in that funny place of,,, proceed or NOT to proceed,,, and I'm NOT close to knowing, yet. As it is now I cannot get my simple odb talking to the ECU... I turn the key and she will go thru the key cycles, all dash lights up but the final click the starter will NOT engage. I hear a little clicking or failure. Sounds like a module or relay failure on the underdash passengers side (LH drive),,, where the key turn electrically sounds to dead end. Then nothing. Starter and motor WILL turn, smoothly, if hot wired but NOT with the key. Sucks. I'm wondering if the "dead end" under the dash includes power to the fuel pump as well? If these problems and others are caused by a fried ECU/M? Anyways,,, long way to go there.

Trans module and electrical IN the trans itself is good news, I think! I am getting a "gear box fault" on pre start "systems check". "D" blinks sometimes, shifter will not move without screwdriver in the hole, and sometimes, the res blinking light. Both D and blinking light will go out.

I need a new and strong battery!

Boot, driver's and passengers door, hood open WILL display on the dash read out when open and closing, which I think is a good BODY Processing Mod sign... Other dash warnings (I can't read DTCs due to not being able to connect to ECU):
- Limiter not Available - I have NO idea what that means, yet.
- DSC Systems Fault
- Low Brake Fluid (brake fluid level is fine)
- Restricted performance
- gear box fault
And that's it I think...

I'm excited!!! I'm crazy, lol