XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

bunch of random questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default bunch of random questions

Hey everyone, I own a 77 xjs. I'm looking to build my car into a singer Porsche inspired jaguar. It'll be a slow process but being my first jag and first actual build I'd like to do it right first with advice from you guys.

so in regards to questions, I bought a set of corvette rims, they are 15x10" rims. However, they are the unilug wheels with the multi lug pattern. They do fit physically on the jag, but the nuts don't fit. I know with the unilugs they require a special nut, but I think the xjs' studs are a wider diameter than what the corvette would have had.

so will they fit with modification? Smaller diameter studs? Machine the bore of the rim to fit? Or simply they don't work.

other notes, I'm looking to put the cat on a diet. I'm looking to ditch the ac pump and whatever is attached, but I'm not sure what hoses I can get rid of. Any help? Anything else in the engine bay that I can chuck that is not NEEDED to lighten it up?

Old 05-15-2017, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Condenser, drier, smog pump if fitted, smog pump system, ...

Old 05-16-2017, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Condenser, drier, smog pump if fitted, smog pump system, ...
AC radiator, and fuel cooler.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by JigJag
AC radiator, and fuel cooler.
AC radiator is the condenser

Old 05-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

give you something to shoot for!

my 1978 XJS weighs in at 3375lbs!!

Attached Thumbnails bunch of random questions-jag-strips-10-22-2012-003.jpg  
Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 PM

Can you put a new style grille on an old jag? Are they compatible? I have the old style with the v12 in the center, and looking on ebay to put the black one in with the chrome thick top bar from the early 90s

Old 12-30-2017, 06:45 AM
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey FatCat those Singer Porsche are beautiful and a great inspiration. What are the plans for your car?

You will need bigger rims if you want bigger brakes. XJS wheels are hubcentric ate the corvettes?

Weight off the front, headers to replace exhaust manifolds, aluminum radiator, new brake calipers (existing are 15lbs etc).

Old 12-30-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by LongJohn
Hey FatCat those Singer Porsche are beautiful and a great inspiration. What are the plans for your car?

You will need bigger rims if you want bigger brakes. XJS wheels are hubcentric ate the corvettes?

Weight off the front, headers to replace exhaust manifolds, aluminum radiator, new brake calipers (existing are 15lbs etc).
hey John, it'll be a like 10 year plan to get it there, as I just had a kid, wife on maternity and I'm young so it'll take time to find money.

but nevertheless it'll go as follows. Interior will be redone in a dark chocolate brown colour. Redo the door panels dark as well with some bronze or black accents instead of the chrome. Engine I'll be using megasquirt to power it with a coil on plug from toyotas. Down the road it'll be independent throttle bodies from a BMW m3 with the intake going through the v to the front grille and get rid of the compressor and any other usless hoses and weight.

Exterior maybe a slight widebody with 3 piece rims. Right now I have 18x8 and 18x9 xkr rims that I need to get the spacers bored in the middle to work. Headlights and tail lights converted to LED. Lowered and a manual transmission and I think that'll complete it for me. Also I'll be painting all the chrome black. Millennial here and I don't like all the chrome. I prefer the lister xjs with the bezels and window trim blacked out.