XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Calling the Blasphemous: Lump owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling the Blasphemous: Lump owners

I am about to remove my engine and transmission pretty soon and What I want to do first is
go to Andrew with Jaguar Specialties and get the basic kit installed then simply put in a engine transmission and such. Just those first two steps. What I want to know from you guys that have done it is there anything that I should look out for at this step? Just removal of old setup and install of the basic kit engine and transmission. I know I will need a new drive shaft also.

I was going to keep the old transmission setup and get the adapter but well Andrew said it would be best to upgrade the transmission in the process also. I was going to keep my original engine but since I really feel dumb when looking into why it is not getting fire with a very detail manual I decided not to. I would like to spend the initially infusion of money on a sure bet. So any advice will help guys.

Oh on a side note I have a free tranny and engine in the for sale section...LOL!

edit: Found our why the car is not getting fire......looks like a field mouse went to town on the ignition wiring even on top of the injectors.

Last edited by Rayjht; 06-11-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:27 PM

Here is a video clip of the car turning over....found two mouse nest one in the V valley of the engine where wires had been cut and to the right side of the motor where it had snipped some there and two on the left by the driver. Answers my question about why the car wasn't getting fire. Also I was mad because the guy told me the driver window worked and I thought it did not. Shot some WD-40 on the switch and ooops it does work.

I may go looking in the local parts yard for wiring harnesses I guess it is not waisting money if I do that ....?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I think you ought to consider finding out if you can get it to run (just my opinion). If you can it would save you an awful lot of time, work and money.
Even if you just put crimp-connectors onto the wires to see if it works I think it's worth the effort.
If you weren't so far away I'd be happy to take the motor off your hands though!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:08 PM

Yea I know that sucks but as you said I am willing to through $200 at trying with DIY stuff but no more. I will go to the parts yard this weekend and get all of the damaged wiring and see if that helps. I think your right it is worth a try....I will post updates.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayjht
I am about to remove my engine and transmission pretty soon and What I want to do first is
go to Andrew with Jaguar Specialties and get the basic kit installed then simply put in a engine transmission and such. Just those first two steps. What I want to know from you guys that have done it is there anything that I should look out for at this step? Just removal of old setup and install of the basic kit engine and transmission. I know I will need a new drive shaft also.

I was going to keep the old transmission setup and get the adapter but well Andrew said it would be best to upgrade the transmission in the process also. I was going to keep my original engine but since I really feel dumb when looking into why it is not getting fire with a very detail manual I decided not to. I would like to spend the initially infusion of money on a sure bet. So any advice will help guys.

Oh on a side note I have a free tranny and engine in the for sale section...LOL!

edit: Found our why the car is not getting fire......looks like a field mouse went to town on the ignition wiring even on top of the injectors.

You will also need to replace the front springs, as the car will sit very high in the front. I did an XJ6 with a 350 in it a few years ago and needed to lower the front by 1"

DO NOT cut the springs as this will have the front very stiff and will jigger there are springs on eBay King are a good brand

JAGUAR XJ6 SERIES CHEV 350 FRONT LOWERED KING SPRINGS | eBay

BTW I will buy your engine if you will assist me in shipping to AUS Where in the US are you located?

cheers

Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

If you can get that V12 running you'll be addicted. It just puts forth seemingly limitless power and acceleration from 40mph + and with the transmission gear kickdown is a dream. I've only been brave (or stupid) enough to rev mine to 6000 rpms but oh man, it's sweet. The stock exhaust in my opinion (others would disagree) is wonderful. You can't hear the engine at all when driving normally, but when you smash the pedal the sound is awesome. If all that is wrong with the engine is the wiring, in my opinion I would stick with the 12. Just my 2 cents. If your heart is set on a chevy though, make the car a car you will enjoy

Old 06-12-2011, 11:15 AM

LOL yea I will try the wiring once I get time to check a few parts yards for it. Today I'm going to chase down where all the lines are cut so I know exactly what I need. As for shipping to AU while I would not mind that it would cost a fortune. Now when you speak of the car being silent till you get on it really appeals to me. Sounds like what one of my Northstar powered cars was like. Silky then if you mash it a Corvette comes out.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Keep at it Rayjht, if all you have got is a bit of chomped wiring this has to be cheaper than replacing the whole drive train.

+ the car seems to spin freely enough on the starter.

Get the thing running before taking out a second mortgage.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:59 PM

OK she is getting fire from the coil but it is not coming out from the distributor to the plugs. Not to mention once I started cleaning out his little nest in the V of the motor by the distributor I found this:

Two of the plus had been chomped straight though....and why did Jaguar hide everything in that obstructed little valley. I guess part of my inpatients is the fact that we are experiencing 100 degree weather in Houston and I get frustrated fast in it. Still I am encouraged by you guys and I will keep at it.

Last edited by Rayjht; 06-12-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Damn I was hoping for the engine - But seriously if you can get the V12 running you will fall in love with almost endless torque.

As I had said a couple of times in threads I originally bought my XJS to Lump it but after driving the V12 fell in love and would never swap it out now.

If the wiring in V is totally shot might be a good time to upgrade to distributorless ignition. Injection harness you can make the connectors are the same as GM and BMW use

Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Please elaborate on that distributor remark...

Old 06-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rayjht
Please elaborate on that distributor remark...
It involves upgrading the ignition to coil packs and removing the distributor. There are a number of ways this cam be accomplished. There is a guy in South Africa who has engineered dual Ford EDIS-6 ignition driven from a Mega Squirt ECU, here is his website Home Page

I bought his module in readiness to upgrade my V12

cheers