XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Terrific job on the cross panel OB. Congratulations. I am glad it is all coming together. The belts will not take too long, just soak all the adjusters with some mixture for a day or two before. The car lokks great and the cross member underneath the rad is amazing.

Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks, I've just got to put some hammer paint on the Fan Shroud and Clean and Paint the Top up Tank for the Rad, then renew all the belts and hoses, put in a new main Radiator.

Connect up the wires and pipes on top of the Rad Top Closing Panel (Thanks for the photos of how to do that by the way)

Then Try and find the ignition Key!!!

I'm going to leave the Spoiler off until I get her running, just in case the Oil Cooler has corroded and developed a leak.

If I threw it altogether, I could probably do it in a couple of days but I'm going to take a bit more time, so when I've got it done I'll know its right.

How do I know if She has Mirelli ignition? Its probably staring me in the face but I don't know where to look.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Bit by bit, step by step... I know how you feel when something looks great in the end or better than thought. As I removed my Jags waterbottle I was expecting to find a rust hole and loads of rot... Not a bit! Luckily my Jag hab been leaking oil from day one as it seems, as the engine bay has not rust anywhere. Wiped with a cloth: brand new paint beneath

Keep the good work up!
Hi Daim

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm actually getting quite nervously excited, every little thing I do, is a big step closer to success.

There is a temptation to rush this, which I am managing to resist as its so close now I can taste it.

I was also thinking, of spraying inside the engine bay with clear Waxoil, what do you think?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,126 Likes on 5,372 Posts
Default Marelli or not

If you have one huge distributor cap with 12 HT leads in a single circle coming out of it, and a black box about the size of a large cigarette packet on the top cabin end of the B bank intake manifold, you have a Lucas ignition car. If not, and the dizzy cap has two sets of six coming out at different levels, it is a Marelli.

FWIW, I say do not waxoil the inside of the engine bay. This is not a bad rust area, and all the dust sticks to the wax and soon the engine bay looks shabby.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

If you have one huge distributor cap with 12 HT leads in a single circle coming out of it, and a black box about the size of a large cigarette packet on the top cabin end of the B bank intake manifold, you have a Lucas ignition car. If not, and the dizzy cap has two sets of six coming out at different levels, it is a Marelli.

FWIW, I say do not waxoil the inside of the engine bay. This is not a bad rust area, and all the dust sticks to the wax and soon the engine bay looks shabby.

Greg
Being a 1990 it will have the Marelli ignition.

I also agree on the wax. Just was and wipe clean. Maybe use an antistatic polish if needed...

orangeblossom (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

Greg
Hi Greg

I will have another look at the Distributor, now I know what to look for.

Also I agree about the Waxoil, as I was really in two minds about which way to go.

The Engine Compartment is Rust Free, and should stay that way as long as I keep it well Polished.

If I coat it with Waxoil, then dirt and dust is going to stick, as you say.

Though I think I will put some Waxoil on the Radiator Beam and also pump it full of Waxoil as well.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Being a 1990 it will have the Marelli ignition.

I also agree on the wax. Just was and wipe clean. Maybe use an antistatic polish if needed...
Hi Daim

You and Greg are right, I will just keep the engine bay clean and polished.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Though I think I will put some Waxoil on the Radiator Beam and also pump it full of Waxoil as well.
Protecting the beam under the rad is essential. As you say, waxoil inside and out. Also waxoil the insides of those under bumper corner pieces and the panel that joins them.

If you have a air-fed wax sprayer thingy with a long probe, (or buy an bilt hamber 750mil areosol can with a long probe) it is a very good idea to spray inside the bottom chassis leg each side. This is the bit of chassis that runs along the bottom inside of the wing, backwards from the cross member. There are holes in it all ready.

Greg

orangeblossom (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member

Protecting the beam under the rad is essential. As you say, waxoil inside and out. Also waxoil the insides of those under bumper corner pieces and the panel that joins them.

If you have a air-fed wax sprayer thingy with a long probe, (or buy an bilt hamber 750mil areosol can with a long probe) it is a very good idea to spray inside the bottom chassis leg each side. This is the bit of chassis that runs along the bottom inside of the wing, backwards from the cross member. There are holes in it all ready.

Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks, that's a great idea!

I've got one of those compressed air gadgets, with a long probe, so I will spray Waxoil inside the chassis legs and do the same with the 'grey one'

Old 08-16-2014, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member

Ideal! And here is a photo of a Lucas ignition:
Name:  IMG_1891_zpse28bb92e.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  130.7 KB

Also, if you have the time, slather on the wax/chassis black stuff on the wheelarch where the shock absorber strengthener is, water gets behind it and rusts out the wing underneath it. You can just see it in this photo
Name:  DSCF3677.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  68.1 KB
Greg

Old 08-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Ideal! And here is a photo of a Lucas ignition:

Also, if you have the time, slather on the wax/chassis black stuff on the wheelarch where the shock absorber strengthener is, water gets behind it and rusts out the wing underneath it. You can just see it in this photo

Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks, Great idea!

When I squirt Waxoil into the Chassis Leg, does it just stop at the 'Bulkhead' or also go into the Sills.

Or do you have to Waxoil the 'Sills' as a separate item.

Also looks like I have 'Marelli' ignition on this Car and hope that this would be the system of choice.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,960 Posts

OB,

You'll need to rustproof the sill sections separately.

Also remember that on convertibles, the sills were strengthened by putting a big tube that fills almost the whole sill cavity. So to do the job properly, go in from the rear wheelarch and spray the length inside the tube. Then also drill a few holes around the end of the tube ((you can easily see from the pressings in the closing panel in the rear wheelarch where the tube is located) and spray the full length of the sill section. You'll need quite a long extension pipe to spray the full length but it's the only practical way to do it on a convertible, because of how the tube fills the void.

Good luck

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (08-16-2014), orangeblossom (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

@ OB

I wouldn't sod around with waxoil in the engine bay, because of this:

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12-dsc_0588.jpg
Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12-dsc_0597.jpg
Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12-dsc_0660.jpg

These areas are behind those, mentioned by Greg. Pictured aren't my XJ-S' areas but those of a 1990 model I bought (partly dismounted) only for the rims

I was shocked by the rust in those areas and instantly checked on mine - luckily totally rot free... At least in those areas

If you use any "binding" fluid, materials which catch on the waxoil stuff, can draw water resulting in rust before you expect it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Daim:
Greg in France (08-16-2014), Jonathan-W (04-15-2020), orangeblossom (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

@ OB

These areas are behind those, mentioned by Greg. Pictured aren't my XJ-S' areas but those of a 1990 model I bought (partly dismounted) only for the rims

I was shocked by the rust in those areas and instantly checked on mine - luckily totally rot free... At least in those areas
Great point Daim. Those rust patches are a known XJS weak point, and they are almost invisible, engine in the car. OB, in Daim's shot, these are the places I was referring to in my post earlier. Water gets behind the shock absorber strengthener in the wheelarch and rots through the wing that is behind it,as shwon in Daim's photos. If you look carefully at my shot at the opposite side, you will see the patches where I have welded this area of the wing in the engine bay side. Close up here:
Name:  DSCF3681-1.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  58.8 KB

There is absolutely fantastic stuff called Aqua Steel that you paint onto bare steel to protect it. If you ever do any welding Daim or OB, it is incredibly effective against rust. The grey paint you see in my photo is zinc chromate-type paint over Aqua Steel over the welded metal.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 08-16-2014 at 02:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Daim (08-16-2014), orangeblossom (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip Greg! I'll remember that stuff!

Those rust areas I pictured really shocked me as I saw them. My first thing to do was to rush over to the garage my XJ-S was stored in and to check them. From inside the engine bay and inside the wheel wells. Those areas (on my XJ-S) had been well preserved. The owner had flooded all openings etc. regularly with wax or so... Just some small patches spread over the entire body (I'd say about 5 patches with a total area of about a €5 note).

But those pictures stayed in my mind... Weren't the only rust spots you couldn't see! I worked on the rear getting the axle off (I decided to sell it a few weeks ago) and hit my head on the body after the arch broke off...:

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12-dsc_0729.jpg

That really did hurt! Luckily it isn't my good car!

Old 08-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

You'll need to rustproof the sill sections separately.

Also remember that on convertibles, the sills were strengthened by putting a big tube that fills almost the whole sill cavity. So to do the job properly, go in from the rear wheelarch and spray the length inside the tube. Then also drill a few holes around the end of the tube ((you can easily see from the pressings in the closing panel in the rear wheelarch where the tube is located) and spray the full length of the sill section. You'll need quite a long extension pipe to spray the full length but it's the only practical way to do it on a convertible, because of how the tube fills the void.

Good luck

Paul
Hi Paul

Good to hear from you, I never knew any of that!

But when I was 'Black Waxing' the Rear Wheel Arch on my 'Grey' XJS, I seem to remember seeing the outline of a Tube.

I've got one of those 'Schutz' guns with the plastic tube (6ins) and the Wax Jets out of the side of the nozzle rather than the end.

So I recon I can rig it up with a longer tube.

That was a really great piece of advice, Thanks Paul

Old 08-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

@ OB

I wouldn't sod around with waxoil in the engine bay, because of this:

Attachment 93277
Attachment 93278
Attachment 93279

If you use any "binding" fluid, materials which catch on the waxoil stuff, can draw water resulting in rust before you expect it.
Hi Daim

That is 'Frightening!' So thanks for posting those pics.

I will give her a thorough check over, as soon as the Weather improves.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip Greg! I'll remember that stuff!

Those rust areas I pictured really shocked me as I saw them. My first thing to do was to rush over to the garage my XJ-S was stored in and to check them. From inside the engine bay and inside the wheel wells. Those areas (on my XJ-S) had been well preserved. The owner had flooded all openings etc. regularly with wax or so... Just some small patches spread over the entire body (I'd say about 5 patches with a total area of about a €5 note).

But those pictures stayed in my mind... Weren't the only rust spots you couldn't see! I worked on the rear getting the axle off (I decided to sell it a few weeks ago) and hit my head on the body after the arch broke off...:

Attachment 93280

That really did hurt! Luckily it isn't my good car!
Hi Daim

Inside Wheel Arches!

That's another area, that I need to check.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Great point Daim. Those rust patches are a known XJS weak point, and they are almost invisible, engine in the car. OB, in Daim's shot, these are the places I was referring to in my post earlier. Water gets behind the shock absorber strengthener in the wheelarch and rots through the wing that is behind it,as shwon in Daim's photos. If you look carefully at my shot at the opposite side, you will see the patches where I have welded this area of the wing in the engine bay side. Close up here:

There is absolutely fantastic stuff called Aqua Steel that you paint onto bare steel to protect it. If you ever do any welding Daim or OB, it is incredibly effective against rust. The grey paint you see in my photo is zinc chromate-type paint over Aqua Steel over the welded metal.
Greg
Hi Greg

Many Thanks (Telepathy Again!)

I was just about to ask you, what that 'grey' stuff was, so I will check it out.

Preventing the Car from rusting away, is a whole new ball game in its own right.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Default Valuable Asset Sitting In My Scrapper!

As regards the restoration, 'The Jaguar God's' have not been on my side.

Its been too wet and windy to put the bonnet up, so while looking for other stuff I could do, I was considering buying a Wooden Steering Wheel to go on the Car.

Although I know which one I want and also where to buy it, I had a quick look at the price of the Standard Sports Wheel and couldn't believe how much some suppliers were asking!

At which point I remembered, that I still had one inside my Scrap Jag, which I now want to swap for the Standard (skinny) wheel on one of my other XJS's

Its all covered in mould and cobwebs and looks worth about 5p so I want to see how well (or not) it would clean up.

So my questions are, how do I take the Wheel off? without damaging it.

How do I get the Centre Cap off and what will I find underneath?

Will it just be a nut or something that requires a Special Tool.

Once I've undone whatever it is, how do I get it off the Steering Column?

Would I need a puller of some kind, as I'm guessing it won't be that easy to get it off.

Name:  Screen_zps00ce1ade.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  100.8 KB

Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

&#%$ damn that is a fright. Once the restoration is complete, you'll have to post a before and after with the steering wheel at that same angle and all.

Wow. Dare I ask for more interior shots?

YES.

[edit]

Now wait, hold on... you have the original with the radiator adventures, then you bought another which you'll be restoring... nice burgundy color. But you have a 3rd which is strictly a donor car? I can't keep up with all the Jags in your sig!

Last edited by Flint Ironstag; 08-22-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12