XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cigar Lighter: no power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Cigar Lighter: no power?

I bought one of those mini voltage gauges designed to be plugged in the cigar lighter socket (so that I can monitor the voltage).

Well, I started the car and plugged it in but it did not show anything. (Not because the gauge is bad -- I tested in my Jeep it works.)

I cleaned contacts to remove some rust -- still no go.

Anybody had similar issues with cigar lighter socket not producing any juice?

Old 04-29-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

a bad ground? power goes in thru the big purple wire that seems to sort of twist onto the single post on the bottom of the cigarette lighter. The black wire spade clip on the side is the ground. Maybe you can trace it out and see if the ground connection is dirty/rusty

I am trying to figure out where the cigarette lighter light black wire with single connector plugs into. I don't see any spare wire connectors in there. There is a two point white clip but the round connector seems too big for either hole.

The following users liked this post:
v1rok (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

The fuse is in the auxiliary fuse box under the passenger side of the dash and that is highly likely to have failed. If that is OK, then you can remove the top of the console and check the connections to the lighter. purple is the 12v and the earth is black.

v1rok (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Greg in France
The fuse is in the auxiliary fuse box under the passenger side of the dash and that is highly likely to have failed.
Bingo! It was as simple as the case of a blown fuse! (This little "problem" -- can not even call it a problem, given the other real problems I have been dealing with and will likely continue dealing with -- gave me an opportunity to learn about the locations and setups of both fuse boxes in the cabin )

Other than that, it is kind of spooky how time after time after time people here appear to know exactly what is wrong with my car based on (what to me seemed like) slightest hints, sight unseen. Un-believable. (And, yes, very spooky.) But I am glad as hell to keep learning from the Jaguar wizards!

Greg in France (05-01-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Your little "non problem" also underlines the value of both having, and learning how to use the wiring diagrams & notes specific to your model & year of Jaguar. Use the wiring diagrams to trace all the way from "problem" component (cigar lighter) back to battery . . . noting each fuse and connector along path. The attached notes will locate each fuse; whether connectors are multi-pin or simple in-line bullets, prompting you to check each wire for continuity or short, each fuse for integrity, and each connector for corrosion or disconnection.

Oh . . . and having the support of people like Greg, Grant and others is just like icing on the cake, eh?

Cheers and best wishes,

Ken

Greg in France (05-01-2017)
Old 02-19-2023, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigar Lighter works, but won't charge phone

Hello, my 1996 XJS cigar lighter works, but won't charge my Iphone. I put in multiple phone charges but none seems to work. A mechanic told me he thought all the phone charges I was using were too short to reach the contacts. Has anyone come across this before?