XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Conidering a 1995 XJS w/6

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:31 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Conidering a 1995 XJS w/6

Jag brethren,

I am considering a 1995 XJS with 95,000 miles on its six cylinder power plant. I have owned and loved a 2001 XJS. I would keep both.

I'd like to know the most common issues with the XJS.

It drives well. It was been lovingly maintained but most of the systems -- elec, PS, water/thermo, tranny are original. A/C was redone. Usual wear items replaced. Fuel pump was replaced.

Asking $5,500 but needs leather work, brake bleeding, maybe stuck shutter in air vents - blowing cold at top, and heat at feet.

All thoughts welcome or references to forum entries on learning more about this vintage.

Thank you.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

2001 XJS? Doesn't exist. Maybe you mean an S-type or other XJ

The later face-lift cars seem to be enjoyed for their added luxuries and various updates. I don't see any posts about issues with them, except the pain in the butt fuel pump access in the convertible.

new seat covers are available, as well as most other standard parts. They don't really suffer from anything in particular, just old things that go out on any car. If you really want to get the seats re-done, shop around. Is the cost of new seat covers + installation more or less than the cost of just buying a different XJS?

You may be able to reach in and manually close the vent thats putting out heat for now. Idk if the later cars remained the same, but there is typically a valve that shuts off coolant flow to the heater core unless heat is called for, so it shouldn't really be hot anyhow.

Brake bleeding is an easy job, but I wonder why effort was put in to replace a brake component, but no effort was put into bleeding the brakes? How good of a job was the repair then?

Old 01-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Apcar
Jag brethren,

I am considering a 1995 XJS with 95,000 miles on its six cylinder power plant. I have owned and loved a 2001 XJS. I would keep both.

I'd like to know the most common issues with the XJS.

It drives well. It was been lovingly maintained but most of the systems -- elec, PS, water/thermo, tranny are original. A/C was redone. Usual wear items replaced. Fuel pump was replaced.

Asking $5,500 but needs leather work, brake bleeding, maybe stuck shutter in air vents - blowing cold at top, and heat at feet.

All thoughts welcome or references to forum entries on learning more about this vintage.

Thank you.
I have just bought a 95 Convert 4.0 as well. I am curious as to which car/posting you are looking at. I had looked at a few, not in person but through Craigslist and AutoTrader ads. I am just curious if yours is one of the ones I was looking at for sale. Did you buy it already or still contemplating?
I almost pulled the trigger on one from CA but was a V12. Didn't get it due to having to pay for the shipping and would have been sight unseen.