XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Convertible storage compartment area lights - Fix Tip

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 AM
JLG
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Convertible storage compartment area lights - Fix Tip

A quick tip regarding the storage compartment area lights in an XJS convertible (at least my 1992 model). This tip may also apply to other lighting applications on other Jag models/years?

I'm willing to bet most convertible owners with storage compartment area lights have experienced (or discovered) broken bulb (plastic) retainers - likely on the negative wire side? When I recently purchased my Jag I quickly discovered both retainers were broken (due to prior bulb replacements - an awkward process at best!) and it seemed the only fix was to acquire new (used) ones - at some ridiculous cost, most likely?

Here's my simple fix: I used fairly inexpensive (~ $15 total; AutoZone), flexible LED lights - as depicted in the first image. These lights are really nice! You can even cut the strip in two if your individual application doesn't need all six lights on the strip. Two light strips come in the box and each strip has a quality 3M tape backing. As further depicted, you simply use one of the two original positive wires and, of course, the one negative wire for proper electrical connection. Just tuck the wired lights into your original light fixtures and you're good to go. They work very well!

Hope this helps someone...take care.

Attached Thumbnails Convertible storage compartment area lights - Fix Tip-image.jpg  
Old 07-21-2015, 11:43 AM
JLG
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The new lights in action...