XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

coolant sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 08:10 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts
Default coolant sensors

Is this correct? Are there three coolant sensors on the engine? One on each side of each bank and a third on the front of the water pump with two electrical prongs that activates the auxiliary fan? I read that if the one on the "B" bank side fails the engine will shut down via the EMC unit. If that is true is it also true for any of the other coolant sensors?

I am building an emergency travel kit of spare parts to have on hand in the event of road side trouble that will preclude a huge bill due to having to order parts.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by BradsCat
Is this correct? Are there three coolant sensors on the engine? One on each side of each bank and a third on the front of the water pump with two electrical prongs that activates the auxiliary fan?
Correct, but perhaps not complete

Depending on year/market/spec some also had additional water temp sensors for emissions equipment and vacuum advance systems

I read that if the one on the "B" bank side fails the engine will shut down via the EMC unit.

That's the one that controls cold fueling. The more common failure mode is skewed readings resulting in mixture problems, not ECU shutdown.

If you unplug the CTS the engine will flat-out die. Some say this is because the mixture becomes so rich that the engine, essentially, floods out. Others have said it's because the fueling is cut-off entirely. I dunno which is true. In my experience the engine dies *instantly* which suggests fuel being cut off entirely. A gross over-fueling would result in a few moments of stumbling, I'd think

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
BradsCat (02-19-2017), orangeblossom (02-19-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:48 PM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Doug is right.

The one on the LH or "B" bank will ruin your day, but a hair clip bridging the terminals in the plug will get you home safely.

The RH side is the Temp gauge. Not an engine stopper.

The front is the Auxillary fan on the LH side of the radiator, wont stop the engine.

Being an '87, its as strong as they came, so FAITH mate, just drive it.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Doug is right.

The one on the LH or "B" bank will ruin your day, but a hair clip bridging the terminals in the plug will get you home safely.

The RH side is the Temp gauge. Not an engine stopper.

The front is the Auxillary fan on the LH side of the radiator, wont stop the engine.

Being an '87, its as strong as they came, so FAITH mate, just drive it.

I'm getting closer. Progress continues on the headliner. Using a hairdryer to loosen the glue to remove the old headliner. The polyacrylic finisher did a great job stiffening and strengthening the pressed fiberglass board.
I hope to have it installed next weekend.
Finishing up with the gas tank retaining straps and details in the trunk later this weekend. New coolant fluid as well. New LH mirror and stainless door sills from the blue '89.
Yesterday I went back to the junk yard. Still no sign of the gold '89. I did get the LH tail light, RH was broken, off the blue one - the one that had the engine fire. Someone else is into that car. They have removed all four wheels, the headlights, the steering column and wheel, the glove box, gas tank, and both outside mirrors. Looking very sad.

Only need one more replacement part. Body side molding end cap, flat. I broke one. I have several of the other beveled or rounded styles but need the flat end style. After that it is just down to the cruise control and A/C and everything will be correct appearance wise and working.

The following 2 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Grant Francis (02-19-2017), orangeblossom (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi Brad

This is a Photo of the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) on 'B' Bank.

You could get a Spare out of one of those Cars at the Scrap Yard.

Did you manage to get the Sports Steering Wheel off?

I would have walked on Broken Glass to get that, if I hadn't got two already.

The CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) on 'B' Bank. (It's the one with the Injector (like) Plug on.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:24 PM

I did get the coolant sensor off the blue car. I also got the headliner, both FPR's, lots of fuses, the LH tail light lens. Someone else got into the car in the interim and took both outside mirrors, the entire steering column and sports wheel, the instrument panel, the gas tank, all five wheels, the glove box.

I still haven't been able to locate the other one. They have it in some private lot but I haven't located it. I would like to get several things off it including the starter, the wiper motor, the steering wheel, and the windshield. They are moving cars all over the yard rearranging it so maybe it will reappear at some point. They have over 3500 cars in the yard.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-20-2017)