XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The d--d door is jammed totally

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The d--d door is jammed totally

hi guys!

First, the drivers side door wouldn't open from the outside. I changed the small linkage clip that held the arm on Place - the plastic Peace had gon missing in the clip. This one: part number BD44650 - number 12 here: Door Handle, Lock and Solenoid-From (V) 148782 - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Well - the passenger door started to feel like the other one - so I was supposed to do the same procedure on that door - but the car owner managed to jam the b---y door totally! He tried to get the door working by opening and closing it repeatedly until it jammed... Do not ask me why he did that...

So - instead of just doing what I did on the other door - now I don't even know how to get the door open!!
I have not seen it myself but the owner told the door was totally jammed.

Ideas anyone?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

what do you mean unjammed by opening and closing it? If it is jammed how is he opening and closing it?

im not totally sure what your definition of "jammed is". There is a very recent thread going through the inards of the mechanism if that helps you at all.

MY experience is with the door handles themselves getting stuck in the "squeezed" position and not opening the door. This always happens if the handle is squeezed when the doors are locked and can be fixed by locking the car again and pulling the handles back out.

My drivers handle has totally failed before where the arm on the handle sheared off. After I put a new handle in, it didn't work, if you squeezed all the way the door would no open. After adjusting the linkage to max i still needed more room, I ended up drilling out the door mechanism and relocating the linkage to give me more room. The handle was a rounded type from a different year XJS.

not sure if you just mean it won't open when you say jammed, if the handle isn't working, or if when you operate the handle nothing happens. But we will probably need a bit more detail to help you out further

Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One cannot open the door from outside or inside - anymore.

Before that happened there was same feeling to the lock as when the linkage clip was broken on the other door.
My quess is that linkage arm fell out from the clip that holds the arm in position AND something else above that happened - during the time the lock still worked - even if not properly.

My problem is that I cannot get the inside panel or door card off if the door is closed =O(

Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

go back to the XJS forum and read a few down, someone else just had a similar problem and had to do a work around to get the panel off.

the trouble is the panel hooks onto the door, so it won't just pop off a bit. The challenge is mostly getting the metal panel on the end that hits the door switch off.

It sounds like either the lock got out of sync and the door was attempted to be forced open, which just stressed the plastic pieces you mentioned. Or something else could have broken.

Just because it is simple, I would try removing the door mirror to get access to the linkage or at least observe the interior door handle to see the lock and handle linkage are functioning. If that doesn't work you probably need to investigate removing the panel with the door in place, like in that other thread.