XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Deep pits in thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Deep pits in thermostat housing

Good morning,

Once again, I seek your advice.

As many of you have read, I am trying to get this car ready for our first 800 mile road trip in five weeks. I have been patiently going through the cooling system in hopes of having the trip go uneventfully.

Well, while replacing the radiator, thermostat, belts and hoses, I found the thermostat housing very corroded and heavily pitted.

I ordered a new OEM thermostat housing but when it finally arrived, the packaging label was mislabeled (part inside was wrong). Now I may be facing yet another delay in getting the car back together.

However, since placing the order for the new housing, a Jag specialty shop has seen the old housing and said it could be reused. They suggested one of the three following measures:
1. Coat the hose contact area with tire bead sealer, let is set for a few minutes until tacky, then put on the hose and clamp
2. Coat the hose contact area with Permatex #2, let is set for a few minutes until tacky, then put on the hose and clamp
3. Use two hose clamps, side by side

Attached is what the housing looked like after removing all the corrosion.

I know I am not the first to come across this situation, so I would like to hear your opinions.

Do I need to wait, to get the correct new part (from somewhere) or do I use the old with a method described above?

PS: Don’t blame me for not changing the coolant regularly. I only bought the car two year ago.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

Old 05-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Scott,

Either will work.

That is NOT bad, trust me.

I have refurbished many a lot worse than that using JB Weld, the standard long dry stuff, NOT the fast dry junk, and a when dried (24 hours) sit down with a file and reshape it. The filing will depend on how good you are at applying the putty. The smoother the application, the less filing is needed.

Clean all those pits with a solvent and a toothbrush, and whatever you use will "stick" good and proper.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 05-04-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling still sucks
Old 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you Grant. I feel better after climbing the mountain and seeking the guidance of a true Jag Guru like yourself!

Scott

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

+1 on JB Weld, "The Mechanic's Best Friend".

Over the years I've repaired many thermo housings and other aluminum castings just as Gran described.

Cheers
DD