XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Drivers side windows not operative :-(

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Drivers side windows not operative :-(

Hello boys!

The drivers side window on my XJS won't work or sound like it's working. It has been acting slow for a couple of years now, and if I am not mistaken the switch is less than a year old.

What do I need to buy here? I have read posts about regulators and motors...are those two one piece in the facelifts?

Thanks for any help!!

Thanks!!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know you said the switch may only be a year old, but I would start with the basics first, 1. Does the unit get power? and 2. Does the switch work? If you have access to a DVM (volt meter) that you can measure resistance with. Pull the switch and check continuity across the switch leads while operating the switch if the switch is good and you can verify voltage, then check the gnds. Once I found a failure in one of those three areas I would follow it down that path before swapping any parts out.
I recently had a similar issue with my 91, it turned out the switch was at fault. sometimes making contact and others not. I pulled it and checked it with a DVM and was able to recreate the failure, replaced the switch with one I purchased online and it has been working fine since.
just some thoughts, others will chime in with more/better advise as it relates to a facelift model.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

mine slowed and all together stopped working because the gear stripped out and would pop off the worm shaft.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same situation in my 1996 XJS. My drivers side window doesnt go down. My window goes down a little bit. But not very far down. I hit the up and it slowly goes back up all the way. I have been told it needs to be replaced. The mechanics inside the door. I am not a mechanic and its going to be expensive from what I am told. Parts are no longer made for this vehicle so its going to drive the price up for replacement parts. Please drop me a message if you get yours repaired. Thanks! -David

Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

a replacement window motor for your car is like 100 dollars david

Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought my 89 XJS this past summer and am the third owner. The second owner had it for almost 20 years but could no longer afford taking it to the local dealer for repairs and sold it to me. I did drive it home to WV from NJ and besides blowing a tire at too high of a speed on a straight and open part of the turnpike, I was thrilled to have this V12 convertible. I am not a mechanic by a long shot but not afraid to tackle pretty much any job not requiring the administration of techniques of anesthesiology. Although I do lapse into a drink now and again... Anyway, this forum has already taught me a lot.... There are many who have been there, done that and are more than willing to share their expertise and experience with you. I recently removed the rear end of my Jag and it is sitting on a lift stand waiting for the completion of my brake caliper rebuild. I could not have accomplished this task without help and really did not want to remove the rear end, but now see that it really is the best way to solve the problem and the repair. As for the door motor, they are relatively easy to find on line and even through this forum. After you check the switch, removal of the door panel is not that difficult or time consuming and the instructions are on here in the forum. Having the same problem with my driver's side window, after removing the panel, I found that there was some padding that got into the door mechanism and was causing it to bind. Removed that and tested the motor in place with a 12volt converter and it went up and down smoothly. You will have to come to terms with your Jag and decide to learn how to DIY or hire a competent mechanic who is able to do these things for you. Taking a 20 plus year old beauty to a dealership will cost you large and unnecessary funds. This is my opinion and it's worth only what you paid me for it !!!! Good luck.... By the way I invested in a second 89 xjs "parts car" so I don't have to go too far for parts !!!! lol.....

Old 03-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for everyone's replies.

For anyone familiar: do I need just the motor, or the motor+regulator?

What typically wears out?

Thanks !!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

Well I ordered a new motor (no regulator) and switch. Hopefully not too hard to change!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

I have been searching thru the archives and it seems everyone replaced both their regulator and their motor. I just got a brand new motor with no regulator. Are the regulators reusable ??

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

There were a couple design changes in the motor and regulator after 1988 or so. The details are foggy at the moment (on my first cuppa coffee) but you need to use matching design parts.

One of the motor types is hard to find so you have to use the later motor with the matching regulator.

Something like that.

I replaced a window motor on an '89 coupe and the vendor listed a small parts kit to adapt the mtor to the regulator...which worked.

Also, there are some coupe vs. convertible nuances involved.

Someone who knows more or has a better memory witll chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
I have been searching thru the archives and it seems everyone replaced both their regulator and their motor.
And these were late cars?

It dawned on me that you're talking about a 1995 XJS. I really didn't think the motor and regulator confusion included these late cars.

Oh well, don't mind me. Someone will come along who knows.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

I think there was only one motor/regulator combo on the 94-96 era cars, perhaps even all the facelift cars?

Sometimes the window gets stuck, especially if the runners have not been lubricated and the windows have not been used for a while. The motor is not über powerful and can't budge the window. Sometimes you can use you hand to push against and down on the glass while operating the switch to help get it going. If that works then continue to raise and lower the window until it works without assistance. The make sure the runners are properly lubricated and all the plastic guides are in position.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AllanG
I think there was only one motor/regulator combo on the 94-96 era cars, perhaps even all the facelift cars?

Sometimes the window gets stuck, especially if the runners have not been lubricated and the windows have not been used for a while. The motor is not über powerful and can't budge the window. Sometimes you can use you hand to push against and down on the glass while operating the switch to help get it going. If that works then continue to raise and lower the window until it works without assistance. The make sure the runners are properly lubricated and all the plastic guides are in position.
Thanks for the info. They sold the whole assembly with regulator or just the motor. I bought just the motor.

If anyone has taken this apart can they tell me if the regulator is typically salvageable?

Old 03-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Make sure you lube regulators moving joints.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

My "parts" car (89 xjs) has a drivers side regultor ( I am using the motor ) If you need and it will fit, make me an offer and I will send to you... I will bench test before sending .... If it does not work for you, send it back and you are only out the shipping both ways !! ken

Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the offer Ken. I will let you know

Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

The regulator is some really simple metal bits that don't tend to the wear out. The internals of the motors wear out, sometimes the literal motor and sometimes the gears attached to it. As long as the year is right you should be okay.

I got a regulator and motor for m 88 XJS because it has the phantom motor and regulator that noone knows exists and no one makes replacements for. So I got a regulator and motor from a different year.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Oh this is so lame....

Ever since I was a child I have had this terrible habit on asking advise from those most experienced and then not following it.

When the window stopped working I called my grandfather who was the original owner of the car since new and asked what he though. He said "first try a new switch, they go bad"......not satisfied with that answer I asked my Jaguar independent mechanic who deals with these older Jaguars all day long, he said "first try the switch they go bad" .......still not happy I then posted in the forum and the very first reply said "start with the switch".....

Well since my dumb a** would have none of it, I bought both a switch and a motor. Today I installed them, but I decided to start with the motor first since I was convinced it was the motor...after a couple of hours wasted I get the motor in and guess what? Still does not work. Popped the new switch in and up and down she goes. ....I then tested the old motor with the new switch...and it works perfectly fine, not only that but it looks newish. So I call my grandfather back and I asked him if he had replaced it before he passed on the car to me. He said ""yes,I had the window motor changed at the dealership 3 years before I gave you the car, this is why I told you to just buy a new switch !!""...which makes the motor 7-8 years old.

....and yes it works now :-(