XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

eletric fan CFM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts
Default eletric fan CFM?

i need to replace my electric fan or possible repair it once its out....does anyone know what the CFM rating is on it so I don't get one that pulls less air??

thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Received 10,348 Likes on 6,845 Posts

Nope.

Jaguar never gave any actual specs for it, nor did any other OEM manufacturer.

If its the original fan unit, it did NOT blow a whole lot of air by todays fans standard. I replaced the PreHE fan with a 12" Davies Craig asembly, and the actual difference is quite noticeable, the air being moved is visibly higher.

If you go visit a wrecking yard and get an electric fan assembly from near ANY Japanese car, you will be miles in front as far as performance goes, and probably less current draw as a bonus.

Some outside of box thinking will easily have it fitted.

On the HE I replaced the whole set up with a Ford Falcon (Aussie car) twin electric fan assembly, and the fitment was so simple, the thought crossed my mind that the car and this fan assembly were made for each other.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

yeah we don't have falcons anymore unfortunately...

I was actually looking at an aftermarket one that pulls 950cfm and i was trying to figure how that stood. I assume its better and just the fact it doesn't have simply 4 blades spaced way apart probably helps.

Maybe I can find the CFM on a japanese car and compare it to the aftermarket and that will let me know.

How sure are you on the size?? I thought it was a 11"?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:36 AM

HA, any Jap car will be waaaaaaaaay better than that Jag agitator on any day.

I removed the LH assembly TOTALLY, shroud and all, as teh new one came shroud included, and 12" was a juggle, its a Jag, you get used to juggling, or as we say, "holding ones mouth at the correct angle, and not dribbling tooooooo much".

Dont have Falcons anymore, DAMN, they are an Aussie cult car, along with Holden, and we still make em.

I will dig up the part number for that fan assembly and post it tmorrow, and maybe a Ford mob over their can come up with an update part, maybe??.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

yeah the last year we made them was 1970 and the '70s is when they started getting good there right?

i dunno if it shares a platform with something here but even if it does the falcon looks soo much better than the taurus or fusion. im also gonna guess its available with a turbo.
it seems like everything you guys have is available with a turbo which is practically unheard of here even though everyone freaks out about gas mileage.

we also made the equivalent of the commodore SS but it was only produced like 2 years.

so you are saying the shroud was seperate and you put the falcon one on? I thought you were saying the falcon has dual fans and you managed to swap the entire thing over....still sounds alot better though.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:25 AM

Yep.

Toooo much necta, sorry, got confused, or is that "old age", mmmmm.

The PreHE has a 12" and a 16" fan as seperate units, slimline, NO engine fan, much more room up front. The Ford fans will not fit, coz the PreHE has the BIG radiator, by which I mean thicker, and 2 more rows of tubes on the engine side of the radiator, the HE has a thinner radiator (more efficient however), so on the PreHE the Ford fan assemblies hit the P/S pulley etc.

The HE has the Ford assembly, and is not so squeezy, and does give more room for sure.

The part No for the Ford assembly I used on many HE V12's is FEU6010NAV.

Again I have a write up of this upgrade, with photos, but it is also too big for here for some reason, so a PM is the only way I know, sorry.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

hey don't worry about it, i appreciate the offer though. I actually found out the fan runs fine but for some reason when i tested it in the car it wouldn't power up, just unlucky with a bad ground i guess. So now i gotta see what is actually causing the problem, hoping for a relay.