XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

First try at starting the Jag up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts
Default First try at starting the Jag up.

and 9 of the injectors were dead from rain water. i left the bonnet up the other day with the fuel rail off and it rained.

swapped the new harness all around and the same 3 injectors had fire on every plug.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but YOU'RE KILLING ME.

I think there are more than a few people on this board who are like me, in that we've taken on your car as our own project by proxy. The first thing I do every day is log in to see if there's any updates to your posts so I can see what progress has been made. And then I see a post about "first time starting" and got all excited. I fully intend to drink several beers the day you post that you finally drove it around the block. I should note, I fully intend to drink several beers every day anyway. But I'll be happy for you nonetheless.

Do you know how excited I was when I read about your fuel temp sensor?

And then you left the hood up in the rain.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Exactly how did the rain kill your injectors? I highly doubt it was rain the is your issue. If your wiring is correct try applying 12 volts direct to the injectors. The pintles may just be stuck.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

well, what happened was that i left the bonnet up, and it rained, and i guess i didnt realize that rain could hit a 5/16" hole. so then they sat for a day before i got them back out and drained all the water out of them. im certain theyre all rusted stuck.

i gave each one a couple of good whacks and managed to get about 9 injectors working, but theyre intermittent, like a bad drum beat. im gonna get the battery charged up and try and get it fired up on 7 or so cylinders, and then wind it up and see if a fast enough pulse will bring them back to life.

Don't take this the wrong way, but YOU'RE KILLING ME.

I think there are more than a few people on this board who are like me, in that we've taken on your car as our own project by proxy. The first thing I do every day is log in to see if there's any updates to your posts so I can see what progress has been made. And then I see a post about "first time starting" and got all excited. I fully intend to drink several beers the day you post that you finally drove it around the block. I should note, I fully intend to drink several beers every day anyway. But I'll be happy for you nonetheless.

Do you know how excited I was when I read about your fuel temp sensor?

And then you left the hood up in the rain.
if you think that sucks, you should try my shoes. its been 2 months today since i bought it, and ive been working on it at least a few hours a day since.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM

I would rig up a 12 volt supply and activate them yourself a bunch of times. If not then contact SD Faircloth.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

how many amps? should i just go straight from the battery to the injector? thatll probably be too much wont it?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 PM

battery to injector. Click it on and off a bunch of times. Don't leave it connected for long. The shock is what you need to free things up. Spray a little penetrating oil in them too.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

ok. thanks for the info, and for the contact. i cant find anyone in my area that cleans injectors.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

and itll be needing 12 more spark plugs.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:53 PM

Jaguar Fuel Injector Service.

Good guy from what I hear. I personally have not used his services. Was going to but then found an NOS fuel rail with injectors. Still have it sitting in the garage as I have not had time to install it yet.

Why not just clean the plugs?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Why the new plugs? Shouldn't be fouled, right?

Running on 7 cylinders is probably better than it ran before!

What did you end up doing with the fuel temp switch anyway? Replace or bypass?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

What did you end up doing with the fuel temp switch anyway? Replace or bypass?
i just eliminated the circuit altogether.

Why the new plugs? Shouldn't be fouled, right?
i just put plugs in it before i shut it down and rebuilt the top end and did all the electronics. theyre pretty foul, and i cant get it started, even with starting fluid.

Why not just clean the plugs?
because once you get past #2 on each bank, they start getting really hard to reach. wish i would have done it when i had the intakes off. also, i heard that once theyre foul, cleaning them just doesnt really do it. apparently the only way to get them clean enough to reuse is sandblasting, and i dont want to risk damaging the valve seats with any grains of sand that dont get cleaned out.

Was going to but then found an NOS fuel rail with injectors. Still have it sitting in the garage as I have not had time to install it yet.
where, when, and how much?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

well i cleaned all the plugs up and still no start. its really trying hard, but just wont.

i can smell fuel, and the plugs were wet with it.

gonna try some starter fluid tomorrow.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 PM

Do NOT use starting fluid. It can cause more grief than good. You car is flooding. Are you sure your coolant temp sensor is reading correctly? That is most obvious cause of flooding cold. Was your distributor out for repairs? If so do you have it installed correctly?

Have you done a compression test?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

i had the Dist. cap off. thats it.

havent done a compression test yet.

coolant sensor is supposed to be brand new. im gettin spark and plenty of fuel. the injectors are still messed up though.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Sounds like plenty, as in too much fuel. Have you ever had this running? You can disconnect the coolant temp sensor and install a resistor in it's place. Also when you test it you need to measure at the sensor and again at the ECU.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

i drove it 155 miles home. yeah. and then once i started splicing in good wires and troubleshooting, it just ran worse and worse. also, i know the resistor trick, but i never did get the info i needed on what value resistor i need to make it work.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM

a 2,000 ohm resistor will simulate approx. 25 deg C

Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

im gonna try a touch of starter fluid. its trying harder to start with the throttles closed, the WOT switch engaged, and the TPS pot at WOT. i think its too lean. either that, or cleaning the plugs didnt do jack.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 193 Likes on 161 Posts

Try unplugging the main connection to the injectors and see if it will start. That will help clear out the excess fuel by shutting down the injectors. It will usually run for a few seconds which should help get those plugs cleaned out too.

Quick Reply: First try at starting the Jag up.