XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Fuel Pump Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Michael

For what its worth don't do it, as its just not worth the hassle at the end of the day and may even devalue your Car by going and cutting holes in it

Yes it is a total PIA job to replace the pump, or to be more accurate getting to the Tank to pull it back enough to do so but having now replaced the Pump for the second time

Its better to 'bite the bullet' knuckle down and just get on with it, as its not the sort of job that you will need to be doing every day, where my mistake was not using the Car enough, or even starting her up on a regular basis

As its almost always a lack of regular use which kills these Cars

Where as a result I've had to fit New Calipers and New Injectors, as well as a New Fuel Pump

Once you've pulled the Fuel Tank back far enough to do the Job, putting a New Pump in is fairly easy to do and I didn't find the need to refer to any sort of Manual

Just DON'T LOSE THE CLIPS That lock the Fuel Pipes to the Tank or it will really spoil your day!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-13-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply, my paranoia is at interfering with the roof gubbins in the boot as it works perfectly and I want to keep it that way.
i did have a poke around last week and I am guessing the pump is located at the front of the tank and the metal shield with all the roof kit needs to be moved ?
is all the work from inside the boot and will the tank need to be drained?

thanks Michael

Old 10-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Michael

The Pump is right in the Top of the Tank it isn't in the Front

The only thing that's in the Front is the Fuel Tank sender, to show you how much fuel is in the Tank via the Fuel Gauge

The Hydraulic Pump needs to be removed as well as nearly all of the Trim in the Boot, including that big Steel Baffle and all the nuts and bolts that hold it in

Well that's the easy bit out of the way and then you have to disconnect the Fuel Pipes from the Tank, which is done from underneath the Car, which is a Nightmare Job in its own right

Then the Fuel Filler has to come out with all the Breather Pipes which are a real PIA to get to and only then can you pull the Tank Forward to get to the Pump in the Top of the Tank

Which is underneath a Locking Ring and the only way to drain the Tank, is to Bale it out with a Nylon type container that won't cause any Sparks or you and your Car will be Toast and also beware of 'Static' which could also Toast your Car

That just gives you a flavour of what is involved but if you want the Full SP of the way I did this, have a look at my 'Cherry Blossom' Restoration Thread on Page:91 and here is a link to that Page with Lots of Photos Replacing the In-Tank Fuel Pump on my 1995 XJS 4.0L Convertible