XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Gear Selector Oddity

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts
Default Gear Selector Oddity

Recently I've noticed that when I shift into Reverse, the lever doesn't notch over into it's slot. So sometimes I think I'm in Reverse, but when I take my foot of the brake it's clear I'm not.

Once you take it out of Park, you can go back to Neutral and it will notch in, and it's fine in all the gears. I just have to feel it engage Reverse rather than it going into the slot.

Any ideas?

Old 04-08-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

I think if you will inspect the shift mechanism, you will find that there is no "notch" so to speak, for reverse. The shape of the shift plate only "traps" the shift lever into PARK. When you move the shift lever to the right, and pull back, you can allow it to follow the mechanism without actually looking at it. It will come out of park, then without moving it to the right at all, you can pull straight back to reverse, then neutral, then drive, where it will stop again. You can then push it forward to neutral without moving it to the right, (by design), or, you can pull the shift lever back into drive. However, to shift to lower gear(s), you will have to move it to the right to do so. Once pulled all the way back into the lowest gear possible, you have to do nothing except push it forward to go to the next higher gear, drive, or even neutral once again.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by superchargedtr6
I think if you will inspect the shift mechanism, you will find that there is no "notch" so to speak, for reverse. The shape of the shift plate only "traps" the shift lever into PARK. When you move the shift lever to the right, and pull back, you can allow it to follow the mechanism without actually looking at it. It will come out of park, then without moving it to the right at all, you can pull straight back to reverse, then neutral, then drive, where it will stop again. You can then push it forward to neutral without moving it to the right, (by design), or, you can pull the shift lever back into drive. However, to shift to lower gear(s), you will have to move it to the right to do so. Once pulled all the way back into the lowest gear possible, you have to do nothing except push it forward to go to the next higher gear, drive, or even neutral once again.
That's correct, but until recently it would go into the reverse position more... clearly? positively? Not sure what the right word to describe it is.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

I stand corrected. I have owned several XJSs. Currently I have two. A 89, and a 95. The 89 is as I described, yet the 95 is very different. It does seem to go into a reverse "slot" so to speak. At this point, I can only recommend you remove the console trim and investigate further.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,091 Likes on 5,354 Posts

At the rear of the gear selector, once the console is off, you will see the cable adjuster. This can be adjusted a touch to let the selector more exactly hit its détente (ie the selector end of the cable should be moved a bit rather than the gearbox end), if that is the problem. It could also be the détente has worn out somewhat. This pic shows the adjuster.
Greg

Attached Thumbnails Gear Selector Oddity-dscf4694.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Mac Allan (04-11-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Greg!

Had a chance today to pull up the ski slope, and see if a little adjustment would fix the problem.

I wasn't exactly sure how to go about adjusting it, but decided to see if I loosened both nuts, and moved the lever into the proper "R" position, then made sure the transmission was actually in reverse, and retightened. Seemed to work perfectly, and all other shifting works as well.

The adjusting nuts were quite tight so I don't exactly how the lever got out of adjustment or if there is something I should be concerned about.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,091 Likes on 5,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
I wasn't exactly sure how to go about adjusting it, but decided to see if I loosened both nuts, and moved the lever into the proper "R" position, then made sure the transmission was actually in reverse, and retightened. Seemed to work perfectly, and all other shifting works as well.

The adjusting nuts were quite tight so I don't exactly how the lever got out of adjustment or if there is something I should be concerned about.
Great news. Congratulations; as to how it happened? just a little teaser from the Jaguar Gods to keep you up to the mark!
Greg