XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

general maintenance questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default general maintenance questions....

Good morning, all.

I'm still working on classy cat... all the interior is more or less gutted out... I'm doing the headliner, floors, etc.

Got me a welder to fix the floors... the more I clean, the more I find rust... this is going to take a while...

I was going to flush the coolant, went to autozone and got a radiator flush kit, but I'm not sure in which hose to install the T; I want to make sure, before I cut anything... any ideas?

Where is the fuel filter?

Has anyone used gabriel shocks? (b.t.w. why these cars have 4 springs in the rear? can they be replaced for 2 "stronger/stiffer" ones?)

I replaced the oil and put full syntetic, but I was wondering... at 167000 miles would it be better to use a high-millage oil? or stick with syntetic?

Thanks gurus.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Rama

Good to see some preventive maintenance going on !

I had my interior out and was down to the metal floors. I was amazed to find how solid it was. Luckily my car has lived its whole life either in FL or CA.

Not sure about the coolant flush kit.....

Fuel Filter is under the floor, infront of the rear axle, on the left hand side of the car. It's quite easy to see and to change out from underneath the car.

4 shock config should be kept, never seen a 2 shock set up

I use synthetic oil on my "daily driver" XJR because I drive it hard, but on the XJS I've just been using good normal oil, and will change it more often. It also leaks a bit, so I don't like to see expensive synthetic oil on my garage floor !

Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SARC
Hi Rama

Good to see some preventive maintenance going on !

I had my interior out and was down to the metal floors. I was amazed to find how solid it was. Luckily my car has lived its whole life either in FL or CA.

Not sure about the coolant flush kit.....

Fuel Filter is under the floor, infront of the rear axle, on the left hand side of the car. It's quite easy to see and to change out from underneath the car.

4 shock config should be kept, never seen a 2 shock set up

I use synthetic oil on my "daily driver" XJR because I drive it hard, but on the XJS I've just been using good normal oil, and will change it more often. It also leaks a bit, so I don't like to see expensive synthetic oil on my garage floor !
Thanks for the good info, SARC.

About the shocks/springs setup... I was just thinking that if the car is so heavy that requires 4 of each in the rear, maybe 2 stiffer would improve the handling and simplify the setup.

Unfortunately my car came from Michigan... lots of salt rust... I was kinda desappointed to see how much rust there is under the nice paint... I bought it knowingly... a project is a project.

Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

convertible and coupe fuel filter placement may be different. my 86 coupe fuel filter is in the trunk behind the spare tire. but it's also pre- facelift.