XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Going Back In

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Going Back In

Off to the junk yard again this weekend. Temps will be much warmer. At least one car is still there so I'll be coming out with that headliner at the very least. Won't run the risk of losing out such a great piece of luck right in my own backyard. I'll get a few other minor parts off the motor if I can find the other car. The one I located is the engine fire car. Everything else is secondary to the headliner at this point.

After the headliner is installed its on to replace all the oil and filter, coolant, and brake fluid along with new brake line hoses. Then its on to the road test in stages. With luck she'll be singing effortlessly at 90 mph in just a few weeks.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-12-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 06:06 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:31 PM

Victory!.. Took my time. Was very careful. Removed the passenger seat for easier maneuverability. Headliner is now in the living room. $17.00. I could use it just as it is and it would look good but am going to try to find some kind of resin to "paint" on the back side to give the fiber board more strength. Then I'll remove the headliner (it looks as if it may have been replaced once at some point) and install Limestone color headliner material. My door panel trim code of CEM indicates that is the correct color.

It is a complete fallacy that you have to remove the windshield to take the headliner out. It can easily be done thru the passenger side door. Removing the passenger seat, 4 torx bolts, makes it easier but not essential. I couldn't even open the door fully due to the car next to it and still had no trouble at all.

I also got two FPR's for $5.00. Whoever is the numbskull who designed these should be flogged in public. First off you have to bend the bracket a bit to fit a wrench in to loosen the retaining bolt. Second, the retaining nuts are different sizes. 22 mm on the "A" bank and "24" mm on the "B" bank. Talk about overthinking an issue.

The only piece I need now is a body side molding end cap, flat ended, not sloped or beveled. I stupidly broke one of mine.

And finally although not Jag related the business had a whole row of tires and wheels for sale that looked like they came of some fairly new cars recently; Mercedes, BMW, etc... I bought a nearly new set of 18" wheels with tires that look nearly brand new off a Ford Mustang GT for $450.00 Tires alone would be about $200 each, if not more.

The following 2 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Greg in France (02-12-2017), orangeblossom (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 02:00 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Well done.

The nut size is deliberate, as the RH and LH are NOT interchangeable.

The RH can be deleted if you so wish. The LH is the "real" FPR, the RH is a pulse damper of some such, and is problematic at times.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (02-12-2017), orangeblossom (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 03:53 AM

I suspected as much to prevent putting on the wrong side. I always assumed they were interchangeable but now understand they are distinctly different.
I was not able to find the gold car so definitely made the right decision to press ahead and get what I could (headliner) off the other one even though that car is in worse shape. If I find the gold car at some point there are a few parts I'd still like to get as spares but nothing is in the "need to have" category.
I bought a can of Polyacrylic (sic) sealant to paint on to the back of the fiber board to increase its strength and rigidity. Hopefully that will prevent the board from crumbling at some point in the future. I'll do that before attempting to remove the old headliner material.
I am so relieved and grateful to actually have a headliner in my hands and to have gotten it for so cheap. Especially compared to what I was facing cost wise to get a replacement from England.

The following 3 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Grant Francis (02-12-2017), Greg in France (02-12-2017), orangeblossom (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I covered the back of mine in fabric before removing the lining. Mine was badly damaged so I had to make a new one, but the fabric held the old board on one piece.

To do this I wet the back of the head liner with polyester resin then laid fabric over it. I used heavy fabric but you could use a light one if the liner is in good nick.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon
I covered the back of mine in fabric before removing the lining. Mine was badly damaged so I had to make a new one, but the fabric held the old board on one piece.

To do this I wet the back of the head liner with polyester resin then laid fabric over it. I used heavy fabric but you could use a light one if the liner is in good nick.

That's a good idea. I've already given it a good coat of polyacrylic finisher and it soaked it right up. I put it on extra heavy around the edges, where is curves inward, and around the visor and dome light holes. I don't want it too thick so I'll go with a thinner piece of fabric.
Did you have any trouble with the headliner sticking to the aluminum tape I see in your pictures?

Old 02-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BradsCat
That's a good idea. I've already given it a good coat of polyacrylic finisher and it soaked it right up. I put it on extra heavy around the edges, where is curves inward, and around the visor and dome light holes. I don't want it too thick so I'll go with a thinner piece of fabric.
Did you have any trouble with the headliner sticking to the aluminum tape I see in your pictures?
The reason for the kitchen tin foil is I made a new fiberglass biscuit. I covered the whole liner in tin foil which aided in release of the fiberglass from the old biscuit.

The new biscuit is about 1/2 the weight of the original and much stronger.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
BradsCat (02-13-2017), orangeblossom (02-13-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 07:27 PM

Everything in the trunk is almost completely reassembled. Just have to reconnect the gas tank retaining straps, the fuel pump and the trim panel for the wiring harness on the top left edge. I took the time to detail all the pieces and clean up any discoloration. Look like new. I even got the fuel filler neck retaining bracket to line up correctly.

Getting closer to completion. Hope to have the headliner ready for installation next weekend and then do the fiber optic wire replacement in the center console. A bit tedious but doable.
Still need to fix the wire wheel center cap. Some JB Weld to hold the bolt securely in the center cap should do the trick. Will put a small drop on opposite sides of the center cap along the grove just in case the bolt fusion ever fails. had to go this route due to determination that attempting to Tap the center cap would likely cause the wall to break rendering the thing essentially useless.
Assuming she fires up with new gas I'll be down to three issues not including the fluid replacement servicing I will do shortly. Cruise control, A/C, and need a body side molding end cap, flat.
The anticipation and excitement to actually be back on the road in a fully working Jag again is exhilarating.

orangeblossom (02-13-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 07:41 PM

That's is an incredible restoration project you did. My compliments. You are immensely skilled and talented. It's gorgeous.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon
The reason for the kitchen tin foil is I made a new fiberglass biscuit. I covered the whole liner in tin foil which aided in release of the fiberglass from the old biscuit.

The new biscuit is about 1/2 the weight of the original and much stronger.

Update: The Polyacrylic finisher seems to have worked very well. The headliner is much stiffer now. I am going to take Warrjons advice and glue a piece of cloth to the back (top) as well for added strength before I begin to remove the actual headliner material from the underside.
The material may have been painted. It is a limestone beige/grey except on the edges and underneath where the sun visors rest that is biscuit colored. Kind of strange.
Obviously going to be very careful with the removal of the headliner material. Plenty of acetone on hand to dissolve the glue in the places where it won't peel off easily.
Getting the headliner off is much more of a concern than putting the new material on. It is vital to keep the fiber board backing in one piece. I think that process will be much easier. Although not absolutely necessary I will remove the passenger seat to facilitate installation when the time comes...which hopefully is as early as this coming weekend.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

I had a lot problems getting the old fabric off, the biscuit de-laminated and broke, even though I was careful. Mine had been replace previously as there were repairs on the biscuit.

If the biscuit cracks you can tape it with masking tape on the rear. If it de-laminates you can apply polyester resin then fill the voids with polyester body filler and re-shape with sandpaper.

good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
BradsCat (02-13-2017), orangeblossom (02-14-2017)