XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

gps speedometer ronbros and anyone else whos done this

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Default gps speedometer ronbros and anyone else whos done this

i want to mount a gps speedometer in my car because the stock one wont work with my transmission (5 speed swap) and it is nearly imposible to get the sending unit out without taking the trans out ( dont want to do that again) so does anyone know a gauge that would fit in the dash or come close to fitting without a problem?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

not sure if this is the right size or not: GPS Speedometers Gauge, Revolution Gauges Series by SpeedHut

Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

You can use whatever gauge you want as long as it's electronic/set up to recieve a pulsed signal. It's the sending unit that is special.

Intellitronix sells a GPS speedo sending unit for around $100.

Details here: Intellitronix Corp.

I'm still waiting on pics or info on your body kit.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

alright ill look into it! and yeah i just posted a forum with the body kit on it

Old 09-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyhunter2k
You can use whatever gauge you want as long as it's electronic/set up to recieve a pulsed signal. It's the sending unit that is special.

Intellitronix sells a GPS speedo sending unit for around $100.

Details here: Intellitronix Corp.

I'm still waiting on pics or info on your body kit.
Here's the updated link for the GPS speedometer sender:

GPS Speedometer sender kit

It's $120 and it's made in the USA. I haven't ordered one, but am considering it. My speedo isn't working, and my odometer and trip computer also don't get a readout of distance or speed, so I'm thinking this might be an inexpensive fix.

I'll post to this forum if I try it and it works out well. My biggest concern regards the signal:

Will it drop out on a short underpass? What about a short tunnel (say 1/4 mile)? I'm almost certain it will lose the reading in any long tunnel, and probably in indoor and underground parking garages too. I think that would be bit unnerving to me, and especially to my wife. Still, for $120 it may be a good solution to fix my speedo problem.

Does anyone know if the output from this would power the trip computer and the speedometer? I know that the speedo has it's own sending unit, so I guess the answer depends on whether this signal would be fed INTO the speedo sending unit, or hooked up to replace the signal coming out of the unit.

P.S. -- I know this is an old thread, but it seemed appropriate to post here, since this thread mentioned the GPS unit, and has been inactive for about 5 yrs, so I figure I'm helping that conversation along, rather than hijacking someone's thread. I apologize if my judgement is off on that. I'm not trying to be rude.

-Philip

Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Hi Cal. actually my GN Buick used an early Garmin unit GPS, a little old by todays standards. 9yrs ago.

it had a small antnnea wire taped to the top of dash, under a carpet piece.

other than that it came online when powered up with ignition on, i liked it all gages light up blue, tach would sweep full and back to zero, Garmin would give location and cordinates + map, and when moving start a digital read outs in etheir MPH/KMH.

the small square button pad in middle for changing program.

it would give you warning of impending speed zones,with a quick beep and red light flash. speed adjustable or turn off notifications.

times have changed the whole GPS industry has changed for that matter, i do like what Jameyxj6 has done , at least for a Jaguar round gage.

Attached Thumbnails gps speedometer ronbros and anyone else whos done this-buick-cute-dogs-003.jpg  
Old 09-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The only problem I see with GPS speedo is - Sydney has a lot of tunnels with speed cameras and GPS does not work in these tunnels - easy speeding fine.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

good to know , altho i dont know of any tunnels around Texas or Fla.

if there are any probably be short and not effect GPS , BUT!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I come from the 'seat of the pants" driving era.

Now, in the present world not as good. But, still ok.

Around town, I seldom check the speedo in either of my old critters.
I know the lumped Jaguar speedo is optimistic. I thought I knew just how much. Noted from the cop Radar trailers. Indicated 49 was a "real" 25!!!

Then I got the idea on this forum to try GPS. I do have an ancient Tom
tom. No longer supported, but it works. Aha it does read off MPH.

But, my back up was and is the tachometer. Good in garages, but who looks there? Good in tunnels, for sure. But just SOP fine there. "seat of the pants".

Yahoo, Super Tomahawk fix is going OK. Corrosion on the spring loaded idler !!!! Busted a screw. I know how to deal with that.

Carl

Old 09-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was looking at some GPS heads up displays on ali express. They are made in china (sometimes, only when ordered) and then shipped to the us. There were a couple that are less than $20 plus $1.17 shipping. It can take up to 30 days. The device sits in a non-slip rubber cradle on top of your dash, and reflects the speed onto your windshield. If the reflection isn't clear, they give you a filter to attach to part of your windshield, which is supposed to help. The device also has a light sensor so that it automatically calibrates the brightness. For less than $22, I think I'll give one a try. Although the use GPS, they also speak of a speed calibration procedure for the device if the reading is off. I guess I'll use my phone's gps as the reference point.

If anyone else gets one, make sure you truly get a GPS unit, rather than something that either plugs into the OBD II port (which we don't have) or something that uses bluetooth to connect to your phone for data.

-Philip