XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ha, toggles and switches

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:11 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Ha, toggles and switches

Finding stuff everyday on this car that make me confused and wonder. Has an Aftermarket alarm and wish I could just get rid of it but no clue how it's wired or where and don't want to mess up anything. Today taking out the gauge cluster found a toggle switch and an ejection seat button I think 😄...oh and a box with wires fell from somewhere.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:33 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Oh dear, the secret anti theft stuff Jag trialed way back, and abandoned due to unreliability, HAS BEEN LOCATED.

I seriously doubt TATA will want it at this late stage.

I see some very late nights with a wiring diagram, to get this thing back to standard, is what I would be doing if it were my car.

Mine had a "No Go" system when I took it over, and No Go was the prime condition, and mostly at random, including highway use. Took the plunge, dismantled most of the interior until ALL Non Jaguar wires were removed, and OE stuff rejoined as the car was produced. Soooooo much reliability re-instated.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Did the ejector seat button work............

A lot of older car alarm/immobilisers work on disabling the ignition or fuel pump.

Pull the panel under the dash off and check the ignition wires for splices, hopefully you will find the immobiliser wires spliced into the ignition, this is where mine were.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Oh dear, the secret anti theft stuff Jag trialed way back, and abandoned due to unreliability, HAS BEEN LOCATED.

I seriously doubt TATA will want it at this late stage.

I see some very late nights with a wiring diagram, to get this thing back to standard, is what I would be doing if it were my car.

Mine had a "No Go" system when I took it over, and No Go was the prime condition, and mostly at random, including highway use. Took the plunge, dismantled most of the interior until ALL Non Jaguar wires were removed, and OE stuff rejoined as the car was produced. Soooooo much reliability re-instated.
so this was actual factory equipment? Factory or not I don't want this alarm system on the car. Im not positive but I think it might be causing a parasitic drain on the battery. Wiring is not my strong suit but maybe I can get lucky and find some splices. Ugh just another thing.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by warrjon
Did the ejector seat button work............

A lot of older car alarm/immobilisers work on disabling the ignition or fuel pump.

Pull the panel under the dash off and check the ignition wires for splices, hopefully you will find the immobiliser wires spliced into the ignition, this is where mine were.
ha nope, not when the battery keeps draining. I took the instrument panel out yesterday as the roller gauges don't seem to be working and was trying to get the plastic surround off the steering column(where the switch is underneath) but didn't want to break it. Felt like it wanted to come apart but didn't want to push it.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

NOT STANDARD, just me and waaaaay tooooo much coffee since giving up the JD.

The column surrounds are held on be a series of screws.

3 hold the lower section TO the upper section, which is held to the multi function switch steel frame thingy by 2 screws.

The bottom basically falls off, with a jiggle here and there. The top section should be very simple with the cluster out of the way.

Look carefully at the 2 multi pin plugs you removed from each lower corner of that cluster. There is usually a Green Growth inside those plugs. Get some Lemon Juice, the REAL stuff not the bottled muck, and clean those plugs well, then rinse carefully with a LITTLE water, then WD40 or similar to finish the job.

Most of the splices for alarms etc are usually AT, or very near to, the Igniction switch elcectrical connector, which is about 6" down from the swutch itself.

Electrical is simple, time consuming, HELL YES, and methodically work ethics are key to it. It always follows a plan.

Forgot, I do that now.

Those 5 screws are "slotted head" not "phillips head", and a real PITA to refit. A magnetic screwdriver is a wonderful thing.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 05-03-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I think the scuttle in my XJ is similar. Some brittle plastic posts with threaded inserts for the durn slotted screws busted. I glued them back. JB Weld, I think. And got some Allen headed fasteners to replace the slots. I tossed the slot ones, never to torment me again.

And, yeah, way back, I did find a most primitive alarm. Easy to isolate, remove and toss.

Carl
Carl

Old 05-03-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
NOT STANDARD, just me and waaaaay tooooo much coffee since giving up the JD.

The column surrounds are held on be a series of screws.

3 hold the lower section TO the upper section, which is held to the multi function switch steel frame thingy by 2 screws.

The bottom basically falls off, with a jiggle here and there. The top section should be very simple with the cluster out of the way.

Look carefully at the 2 multi pin plugs you removed from ech lower corner of that cluster. There is usually a Green Growth inside those plugs. Get some Lemon Juice, the REAL stuff not the bottled muck, and clean those plugs well, then rinse carefully with a LITTLE water, then WD40 or similar to finish the job.

Most of the splices for alarms etc are usually AT, or very near to, the Igniction switch elcectrical connector, which is about 6" down from the swutch itself.

Electrical is simple, time consuming, HELL YES, and methodically work ethics are key to it. It always follows a plan.

Forgot, I do that now.

Those 5 screws are "slotted head" not "phillips head", and a real PITA to refit. A magnetic screwdriver is a wonderful thing.
haha ok I was thinking did jaguar really hide toggles under the dash?! I'm going to try and dig around Friday and see what I find. It's such an old fashioned alarm with huge **** foghorns under the hood that take up half the engine bay. Ha

Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 PM

Found 2 wires going from the alarm speaker to a hole in the firewall. And the one wire splitting and going to another toggle under the hood that gets pushed when it closes... I have no idea what's going on. Can I just clip the wires and get rid of the alarm/speaker?

Old 05-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Hey, that sure does look like the one I tossed. Simplicity is a times good. The plunger, center right, in the picture I similar in function to a switch on a door post to activate the interior lights. In is open. Out is closed. Might even be a door switch from some critter.

Logic, Crook gets the bonnet open to hot wire the ignition. The "fog horns" blast.
Effect? Folks, annoyed, but ignore. Thief yanks the wires and either gets the car or takes off.

I merely clipped off the wires at horns and switch, and at the toggle in my glove compartment. I did seek the source of power. Likely at a brown one or terminal. Not found ignored, So far, so good. Done a decade or more ago...

Oh, I kept the "horn'. With a transformer or battery pack. A door bell at my back door?

Carl

Old 05-06-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Hey, that sure does look like the one I tossed. Simplicity is a times good. The plunger, center right, in the picture I similar in function to a switch on a door post to activate the interior lights. In is open. Out is closed. Might even be a door switch from some critter.

Logic, Crook gets the bonnet open to hot wire the ignition. The "fog horns" blast.
Effect? Folks, annoyed, but ignore. Thief yanks the wires and either gets the car or takes off.

I merely clipped off the wires at horns and switch, and at the toggle in my glove compartment. I did seek the source of power. Likely at a brown one or terminal. Not found ignored, So far, so good. Done a decade or more ago...

Oh, I kept the "horn'. With a transformer or battery pack. A door bell at my back door?

Carl
yeah I think I'm just going to clip the wires and remove as long as that doesn't somehow immobilize the car but I doubt it... seems like a crude system