XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Head Lights needed for 92 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Head Lights needed for 92 XJS

Hi all
Is there a specific place on this forum where one can look at parts offered for sale by members?
Anyway, I recently purchased a 92 XJS which has the Euro type headlights that barely show me anything.
I actually use the spot lights to see the road!!
One funny thing is that it has one headlight with only one double filament bulb, and the second headlight has two bulbs, one for low and the other for the high beam.
What I am looking for is either a complete set of the American type of head lights (two headlights each side) but provided these come using bulbs and not sealed beams.
Alternatively a pair of the two bulbed headlights that are in good condition.
This way I can put higher rated bulbs for clearer lighting.

Cheers
Farouk

Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

look up towards the top of the site and you will see a blue toolbar. There is a marketplace drop down that lets you navigate to classifieds forums.

I have euro lights and they work fine, they should be a single bulb. The issue is mostly that the reflective coating inside comes off over time. Look inside, if its a red/orange color instead of shiny mirror, that would be the reason. I would investigate putting the right bulbs in though.

Check around ebay and craigslist for parts cars too though. Good luck finding something, personally i think the american lights ruin the look of the car and they look incredibly cheap.

there is a pair of euro lights on ebay right now for $300. You may find something cheaper on your side of the pond, most of the members here are from America. just watchout if you are putting LHD lights in a RHD car, they are usually aimed differently and the high beams can blind people

Last edited by sidescrollin; 10-14-2014 at 11:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Challenger_7 (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

If you decide to remove the lights... i need some lenses (not reflectors) for my UK import... i'd be willing to pay for transport to Germany!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
look up towards the top of the site and you will see a blue toolbar. There is a marketplace drop down that lets you navigate to classifieds forums.

I have euro lights and they work fine, they should be a single bulb. The issue is mostly that the reflective coating inside comes off over time. Look inside, if its a red/orange color instead of shiny mirror, that would be the reason. I would investigate putting the right bulbs in though.

there is a pair of euro lights on ebay right now for $300.
Thanks a bunch for your guidance. I am looking within the website for offers.
What baffles me is the fact that one of the headlights comes with 2 bulbs and is therefore more effective than the other side which comes with only one bulb.

I too prefer the Euro lights but was thinking of the US type just for clarity of the lights.
If you say they are good for you, I will investigate again.

Thanks again for your response.

Cheers
Farouk

Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Daim
If you decide to remove the lights... i need some lenses (not reflectors) for my UK import... i'd be willing to pay for transport to Germany!
OK buddy, lets see what I end up doing on my car.

Cheers

Old 10-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Can you possible post pics? I honestly have zero idea what you are talking about. With the two bulbs. The only ones I have ever seen, which are the same as mine, have a spot for a single dual filament bulb. I am wondering where you second bulb even goes.

Does the inside seem red/orange like I said?? It is possible to remove the lens and refinish the inside for a more reflective surface.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:27 AM

On the single bulb one, the bulb is fixed on the upper side of the light where the lens is more difficult to see through. It is a normal halogen type of bulb.
On the other, ther is one in the same position, and a second bulb on the lower part of the light.
The upper bulb is covered by a small round reflector covering the bulb, sort of twice the size of a Dollar coin, and in a way a bit similar to old Jaguar lights where they have the triangular metal stands to hold this round metal bit.
The bottom bulb is just stuck in there with no covers.
The reflector behind the upper one cannot be seen due to the structure of the glass.
On the lower part, yes the reflector is faded out towards orange.
If you are saying that this is the first time you hear about to bulbs, I wouldn't be surprised if this modification was carried out here?
Anyway, as you suggest, and also for me to understand these lights more, I will try to go to my garage tonight and strip them off.
I need to anyway as one of the lights is taking water into the lens.

Thanks for your follow up.

Cheers
Farouk

Old 10-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Could 1 of the bulbs be the 5w sidelight/parking light... In the US/ Canada this is included in the indicator as a 21/5 w bulb , not in the headlight as else where.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

The small bulb is the parking light. If the other headlight doesnt have a place for it than it might be a euro light.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d
Could 1 of the bulbs be the 5w sidelight/parking light... In the US/ Canada this is included in the indicator as a 21/5 w bulb , not in the headlight as else where.
do you mean the "euro lights" in US and canada are different from the ones in europe?

My lights have one bulb in them and when I switch my lights to daytime running, nothing happens with my headlights. It illuminates the front bumpers lights and rear running lights.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member

Yup........There are a few differences.
In the North America models they have 1 bulb, the park/side lights are amber and are in the indicator lights as you describe. Other markets they are white and are in the headlights. Also the light pattern, don't forget that RHD (UK) lights dip/low into the 'wrong' side, as into the oncoming traffic, for LHD cars.

Last edited by malc4d; 10-17-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Can you possible post pics? I honestly have zero idea what you are talking about. With the two bulbs. The only ones I have ever seen, which are the same as mine, have a spot for a single dual filament bulb. I am wondering where you second bulb even goes.

Does the inside seem red/orange like I said?? It is possible to remove the lens and refinish the inside for a more reflective surface.
Hi again.
I had a go at the car yesterday and managed to strip both headlights, and they both seem originals, but totally different in structure.
The one with 2 bulbs has "Made in France" on it.
Obviously the previous owner had this adapted for him because now there is nothing holding the headlight except for the chrome bezel !!
The bracket to hold the headlight from behind is missing and so are the 2 adjusting cables that adjust height and sideway.
They placed a piece of wood under the glass on the inside of the body to keep the light at the same level as the other one. Some mechanics are really terrible.

I will attach some photos for everyone's amusement, with some comments when I get home.
But the thing is both sides do not have a wide light coverage, and more like a spot. Is this how Euro Lights normally behave?
I can understand the dim light due to the fading of the reflector, but it should still be fairly wide spread??

I will be quite happy to reinstall a good set of Euro type lights if the coverage is good.

Comments are welcome.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Euro style are asymetrical. My UK lights are great. Not really on mainland EU as they point the wrong way but Light the road up nicely... Can't complain...

The following users liked this post:
Challenger_7 (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Daim
Euro style are asymetrical. My UK lights are great. Not really on mainland EU as they point the wrong way but Light the road up nicely... Can't complain...
Thank you, good to know that. This means I will need to change both lights as you will see from the attached photos.
The "L" marked Photos are for the left side and the R for the right.
I believe the L type are the correct one and leave it to you Gurus to figure out where did the R light come about

Attached Thumbnails Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-l-1.jpg   Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-l-2.jpg   Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-l-3.jpg   Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-l-4.jpg   Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-l-5.jpg  

Old 10-17-2014, 02:26 PM

OK, looks like the Photo letters did not come out. anyway the first set of photos are for the left side, now for the right side.

Attached Thumbnails Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-r-1.jpg   Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-r-2.jpg   Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-r-3.jpg   Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-r-4.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 02:28 PM

Maybe the car had quad light system at birth(it is a cat). Of maybe one broke and he got one online and it was different and mickey moused it in.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:32 PM

As you can see from the last photo, I am missing from the car the bracket that holds the light, and also missing the two adjusting cables.

Now to demonstrate what I mean about the lack of coverage, the following photos are of the low beam and hi beam lights, lit on my garage wall.

All contact are well and outside the enclosures the bulbs shine fine.
The one on the right is rated, I think, 65/100 W but cant really remember what I saw on it. But for sure I remember a high wattage.
On the left, there are 2 identical halogen bulbs of 55 W each, similar to the spot light bulbs.

Here we go.
Cheers
Farouk

Attached Thumbnails Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-img_1001-copy.jpg   Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-img_1002-copy.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 05:59 PM

Yep. Those lights suck. Im scrapping a 89 if you meed mounting hardware I can provide. Mine is prefacelift. I dont know if parts are the same. I also have the right headlight and Zi can see if its better if you are interested. PM me.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

WTF... are you saying that some idiot put 100w bulbs onto that Jag light circuit, and you didn't have a fire.......!!! It just about takes the 55/65w bulbs.
I would buy the quad light set up if l was you. better light and easy to get.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

If you have French bulbs, they are probably Marchal and were once yellow to comply with French law

Quick Reply: Head Lights needed for 92 XJS