XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Headlamps not bright enough to see ahead

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamps not bright enough to see ahead

I have a 1992 xjs convertible with no daytime running lights. Currently my headlights come on but do not have the brightness to show the road ahead of me. They used to work fine but after some fuse issues with another part of the car they stopped casting a bright light. I also have lost high beam/low beam function on the headlights.

I have checked the 2 - 10 amp fuses and they are in good condition. I'm going to start backtracking the wiring to see if there is a problem with the wiring or connections. Hopefully this is something that can be resolved fairly easily, but if it goes all the way back into the wiring and relays I would not be surprised.

Thoughts, comments or suggestions highly appreciated.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 302 Likes on 199 Posts

There should be a largish (larger than a normal relay) black box on the US-drivers side inside fender just before the brake master. It will say something like “Hella logic Module” or “Jaguar Headlamp Logic Module”. Give the plug on the bottom a wiggle with the headlights on. Or, Take the plug out and clean the plug. If none of that works buy a new module. -John

The following users liked this post:
92Cat (11-07-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Is it a low or no voltage issue or a cloudy plastic and poor bulbs?

My Jeep as many other "modern" vehicles suffered from poor lights.

I used a couple of products to clean the plastic lenses. Mine had a cloudy 'clear" coating. the abrasives removed most of it. And one new bulbs made one quite decent at night and the other not so much, but definitely better. The plastic bulb holder and it's retention collar have welded themselves together. More force will bust 'em and I'll have darkness....

Carl

The following users liked this post:
92Cat (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagsandmgs
There should be a largish (larger than a normal relay) black box on the US-drivers side inside fender just before the brake master. It will say something like “Hella logic Module” or “Jaguar Headlamp Logic Module”. Give the plug on the bottom a wiggle with the headlights on. Or, Take the plug out and clean the plug. If none of that works buy a new module. -John
I pulled the module and re-connected it with the headlights on. No change. Still dull, no indication that the hi-beams are working either. I did replace one of the headlamp bulbs with a new bulb. No difference in brightness.

-Kevin