XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Headlights

Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,902 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Default Headlights

1986 XJSC V12 with quad headlights.
One sealed beam unit went and rather than spend loads of money on a single unit I spent a bit more on a complete set of new ones with a Xenon upgrade (£65 all in).
The lights now don't work properly at all so I am wondering if I fried a relay somewhere.
On sidelight, all the sidelights come on except the offside one.
On dipped beam all the sidelights come on except the offside one - nothing else.
On full beam everything comes on except the offside sidelight.
Anybody got any ideas?
Is it likely to be the main relay (the big silver one on the nearside inner wing) or is there another one somewhere?
Where can I get the big silver relay from?
Is there a headlight control module fitted to this model that could be at fault?
Is fitting Xenon bulbs likely to cause such an increase in current draw that something got fried?
There was a link wire fitted between the dipped beam contacts for some reason.
The car is a bit of a shed at the moment and there are wiring problems but the lights were working normally (if pathetically) before.
All help gratefully received.
Steve

Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
On sidelight, all the sidelights come on except the offside one.
On dipped beam all the sidelights come on except the offside one - nothing else.
On full beam everything comes on except the offside sidelight.
Anybody got any ideas?
Is it likely to be the main relay (the big silver one on the nearside inner wing) or is there another one somewhere?

The headlight relay....there is only one.... provides supply voltage to the headlights only. The sidelights have their own supply circuits, separate from the headlights.

HOWEVER, the headlights and sidelights share common ground/earth points and my gut feeling is you'll find all evil rooted in them. Check them for security and cleanliness. They're easy to find. Look at the extreme right and left ends of the radiator mounting panel. You'll see 'em.

Where can I get the big silver relay from?

I'd think most any jag supplier will have one or can order one for you, but buy nothing without first checking all relevant earths and connections

Is there a headlight control module fitted to this model that could be at fault?

No, no control module

Is fitting Xenon bulbs likely to cause such an increase in current draw that something got fried?

I dunno how much increase there would be. Is anything marked on the packaging?

There was a link wire fitted between the dipped beam contacts for some reason.

Can you describe this in better detail? Was this actually at the lamp itself or?

In any case, I'd begin with something free and easy---like checking the earths ! :-)

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Steve M (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,902 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Thanks Doug.
There was no lettering on the packaging as they came pre-fitted.
The link wire is just a wire jammed in one dipped beam socket, running across the front of the radiator and jammed in the other dipped beam socket.
If it ever warms up enough to hold onto the AVO meter for more than 10 seconds I'll have another go at checking the supply voltages as that is what appears to missing on the dipped beam supply. As I said, everything comes on when full beam is selected (apart from one side light); that is why I was suspecting the relay. I tried David Manners and he said that I was the third person that day to call for one and they hadn't had any for over 12 months! Breakers again I suppose.