XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Headliner detachment

Old 03-25-2016, 01:44 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Headliner detachment

1993 XJS

Just noticed when I lowered the sun visor on the drivers side that the headliner has detached.. So far only an area of one sq ft has loosened. I have never tackled headliner repair and solicit your advice. I have no idea on how the at headliner is attached, if there is a board or just foam under the cloth. I would like your opinion on what to do.

The only experience I had was with a Lotus Elite that had no headliner and I glued carpet tiles directly to the top. Looked great and stop some of the drumming in the car. The only problem was that when the sun hit the roof sufficient heat was generated to melt the glue. Driving to work with carpet tiles raining down was rather embarrassing. Just another great idea with a tiny glitch

Old 03-25-2016, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

The headliner is a one-piece cardboard-like thing with the liner you see glued to it. It is fixed in by the side pieces above the doors (they just pull out towards the centreline of the car as they are held in by spring clips, which reveal clips underneath holding the liner); by the sun visor fixings and by the mirror fixing and centre light nearby. The C pillar covers also pull off (you may have to undo the seatbelt mounting if your rear belts are attached there). Then the rear is just held up by the rear screen rubber that it pokes underneath. Removing the passenger seat makes it easier to get the entire thing out of the car.

The problem is getting it out in one piece, as the cardboard stuff crumbles very easily. Some have managed it, I did not! If you do manage it, they can be relined with modern new lining stuff as long as the old stuff is completely removed down to the cardboard. Use 3M high temp spray glue to prevent the Lotus problem! The lining drops because the thin foam backing between the liner and the cardboard crumbles to dust. Aftermarket new liner shells lined and ready to fit are available, and have fibreglass backing material. I have one of these and it is really good. One important tip though, glue some 1/4 inch foam to the roof steel inside before fitting the fibreglass new one. This prevents the fibreglass shell from bonging on the roof when you go over bumps, shut the doors etc.
Greg

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
afterburner1 (03-25-2016), JJS- Florida (02-21-2024), orangeblossom (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 07:13 AM
Received 569 Likes on 364 Posts

Greg, who makes a good aftermarket shell/liner?

One of the older Wheeler Dealer episodes shows Edd changing an XJS headliner. Some good info there.

The following users liked this post:
afterburner1 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by jal1234
Greg, who makes a good aftermarket shell/liner?

One of the older Wheeler Dealer episodes shows Edd changing an XJS headliner. Some good info there.

I got mine from these people
JAGUAR XJS REPLACEMENT HEADLINING BOARD | eBay
They do various levels of kit, eg, headliner only (above link), headliner, side pieces and C pillar covers:
JAGUAR XJS REPLACEMENT HEADLINING KIT (COMPLETE SET) | eBay
Shipping may be expensive depending upon where you are, as the item is awkwardly shaped.
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
afterburner1 (03-25-2016), orangeblossom (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,905 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I bought a kit off ebay and it took me about 1/2 an hour to do it on my own, it really isn't that difficult.
The hardest part was drilling out a corroded screw from the mirror.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
afterburner1 (03-25-2016), orangeblossom (03-25-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner1
1993 XJS

Just noticed when I lowered the sun visor on the drivers side that the headliner has detached.. So far only an area of one sq ft has loosened. I have never tackled headliner repair and solicit your advice. I have no idea on how the at headliner is attached, if there is a board or just foam under the cloth. I would like your opinion on what to do.

The only experience I had was with a Lotus Elite that had no headliner and I glued carpet tiles directly to the top. Looked great and stop some of the drumming in the car. The only problem was that when the sun hit the roof sufficient heat was generated to melt the glue. Driving to work with carpet tiles raining down was rather embarrassing. Just another great idea with a tiny glitch
Not a hard job, i did mine with a new leather type material from the fabric shop. Any weak areas i fiberglassed......which worked really well. The old holes for mirror and visors were all bore out so fiberglassed and redrilled. Just spent the extra money for the 3m good spray glue......only thing id done different would be to (since its out) lay down a jaguar image about 1/4 deep in foam. So when the new material is glued on youd have a really nice raised leaping jaguar in the headliner..........just sayn

afterburner1 (03-31-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 11:00 PM

Steve M
What is the website where you purchased the headliner kit? Would like to have the kit on hand before I removed the old one. In fact, I would rather have the pattern for the board and would be willing to buy it and then donate it back to the forum

Old 03-30-2016, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member

I got it via an eBay search which took me to Myrtle products.
JAGUAR XJS REPLACEMENT HEADLINING BOARD FACELIFT MODEL | eBay

I had a pre-facelift one which also came with extra material to cover the cant rails and rear 3/4 panels; if you just change the main board then it will be nice and new compared to the scabby old bits on the rest of it.
It was a very good fit and pre-drilled for mirror/lights.
I would disconnect the battery when you do it so as not to short out the wiring for the internal lights.

afterburner1 (03-31-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 PM

Had found that site, but thought you were talking about a USA site. The price of GBP 175.00 Approximately US $249.64 is a little steep., particularly when you consider shipping. Duplication of the headliner should be easy since all lines are straight and thin material, trim spray to attach foam backed cloth. Then
final trimming and holes made when the original headliner and board are removed..
I can see why QGREG said it was easy
How do you say it? Piece of pie; easy as cake!

Last edited by afterburner1; 03-30-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
I bought a kit off ebay and it took me about 1/2 an hour to do it on my own, it really isn't that difficult.
The hardest part was drilling out a corroded screw from the mirror.
Hi Steve,
I have fibreglass backed headliner for my facelift model, had it for over 12 months because I believed that it needed an assistant and several hours to remove old headliner and refit the replacement.

Are you serious that you managed to replace it by yourself in 30 minutes ?

Old 03-31-2016, 09:36 AM

PAUL_59
Paul, if is at all possible and not to much trouble could you provide the two outer dimensions of the fiberglass headliner. No holes, just the outer dimensions. I would like to construct the headliner insert before I remove mine from the car. I'm concerned, from what I have read, that the headliner board will crumble before I can get proper measurements

Old 03-31-2016, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Paul, yeah, maybe a bit longer.
Move seats forward and fold backs down as far as they will go.
Disconnect battery to prevent shorting interior lights.
Remove steering wheel; mine is non airbag so quite simple.
Remove sun visors and rear view mirror.
Remove front pillar covers.
Remove cant (side) rails; use a large flat bladed screwdriver to carefully prise them off, there are 5(I think) push clips each side.
Remove rear 3/4 panels (disconnect lights).
Prise open the metal (4) tags holding the board in, drop the board, disconnect the lights and wiggle it out; there is enough flex in it to get it through the door.
Reverse the above to fit the new one.
Simples.

Last edited by Steve M; 03-31-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Missed a bit.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:42 AM
Banned

PAUL_59
Paul, if is at all possible and not to much trouble could you provide the two outer dimensions of the fiberglass headliner. No holes, just the outer dimensions. I would like to construct the headliner insert before I remove mine from the car. I'm concerned, from what I have read, that the headliner board will crumble before I can get proper measurements
No problem.
See attached photo with dimensions
53 inches (front to back at side)
51.5 inches (front to back in centre)
42 inches (side to side at front)
38.5 inches (side to side at rear)

Last edited by Paul_59; 04-01-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:16 PM

PAUL_59
Thank you so much, it was much more than I expected. I noticed in the picture that there were provisions for the sun visors. I think I will do them with additional foam. I assume that 1/8" fiber glass would be sufficient to do the Job

Although I am not going to do it on my XJS, the carpet tiles I put in the Lotus looked and worked very well. My problem was the adhesive. I used 12" tiles and only had to trim on the borders over the doors and windows. Went very fast and for a minimum outlay of cash

Again, thank you, for the dimensions they are sincerely appreciated!

Old 04-02-2016, 08:05 AM
Banned

PAUL_59

Again, thank you, for the dimensions they are sincerely appreciated!

Your welcome.
It seems to be about 1/8 inch. Also forgot to mention that there are cutouts on fibreglass side for sunvisor mounting.

Last edited by Paul_59; 04-02-2016 at 08:07 AM.