XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Hell For Leather!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default Hell For Leather!

Being a bit 'Old School' ever since I passed my 'Test' I had always been brought up, to wash my Car by using a Sponge and after dry it with a 'Chamois Leather'

As I remember one of these was always included as a present from an Uncle or Auntie on Christmas and Birthdays, which was always well received as they can be expensive to buy.

The only downside being that you do need to look after them, as otherwise they will only dry out or otherwise end up rotting, especially trying to keep one moist inside a plastic bag.

Its one of those Car essentials, that you cannot do without, when you need something to wipe away a build up of Condensation on the Windscreen.

Except that this Winter I got caught out in an unexpected Snowstorm and didn't have my 'Chamois Leather' with me, which was needed urgently as the Windows had steamed up!

As luck would have it I found myself opposite one of those massive DIY stores, so I pulled into their Car Park, in the hope they might sell 'Chamois Leathers'

Which I was just about to buy until I got into Conversation with one of their Assistants, who recommended using a 'Micro Fiber Cloth' as in his opinion they were so much better than a Leather.

Having heard it all before with products I have bought, I have to say that I was not convinced but as I'm always willing to try out new Stuff, I bought them both.

Price wise they were almost the same at around £6 (UK) but the Microfiber Cloth was huge and measured around 2ft square.

Since the Leather was New and Unused and therefore full of 'dressing' I opted to wipe the Windows with the Microfiber Cloth and was amazed!

As it just sucked the Water off the Windscreen, leaving it bone dry, with none of the water streaks that you sometimes get when using a 'Chammy'

So I couldn't wait to try it out, next time I washed the Car, first by using the 'Chammy' and then by using the 'Microfiber Cloth'

The difference was amazing! and in my opinion 'No Contest' as while the Leather seemed to need constant wringing out, the Microfiber Cloth sucked up the water, leaving the Paintwork bone dry and streak free!

I'll never use a Wash Leather on my Car again! the Microfiber Cloth just seemed to ace it on all fronts and doesn't require looking after in the way that a Wash Leather does.

So what do you use to dry your Car after washing? are you in the 'Chammy Camp' or a 'Microfiber' Convert like me?

Microfiber Vs Wash Leather

Name:  Polish%20003_zpsho1qfyka.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  85.5 KB

Although She was Garaged and Covered during the Winter, as you can see She was covered in dust and as such in need of a Wash!

Name:  Polish%20001_zpsibpwokzt.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  87.0 KB

Yes I know I shouldn't use Washing Up liquid but its never given me a problem.

Name:  Polish%20004_zpsippknv8q.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  91.1 KB

After drying with a Wash Leather She's covered in streaks of water, so lots more work to do!

Name:  Polish%20005_zpsx4k9lqvj.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  85.5 KB

The Microfiber did it in one! and left a streak free finish, so no more Wash Leathers for me!

Name:  Polish%20006_zpsqpmqikhn.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  68.9 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Polish%20001_zpsibpwokzt.jpg (87.0 KB, 70 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Mkii250 (03-12-2015), paulyling (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 04:22 AM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Being a bit 'Old School' ever since I passed my 'Test' I had always been brought up, to wash my Car by using a Sponge and after dry it with a 'Chamois Leather'

As I remember one of these was always included as a present from an Uncle or Auntie on Christmas and Birthdays, which was always well received as they can be expensive to buy.

The only downside being that you do need to look after them, as otherwise they will only dry out or otherwise end up rotting, especially trying to keep one moist inside a plastic bag.

Its one of those Car essentials, that you cannot do without, when you need something to wipe away a build up of Condensation on the Windscreen.

Except that this Winter I got caught out in an unexpected Snowstorm and didn't have my 'Chamois Leather' with me, which was needed urgently as the Windows had steamed up!

As luck would have it I found myself opposite one of those massive DIY stores, so I pulled into their Car Park, in the hope they might sell 'Chamois Leathers'

Which I was just about to buy until I got into Conversation with one of their Assistants, who recommended using a 'Micro Fiber Cloth' as in his opinion they were so much better than a Leather.

Having heard it all before with products I have bought, I have to say that I was not convinced but as I'm always willing to try out new Stuff, I bought them both.

Price wise they were almost the same at around £6 (UK) but the Microfiber Cloth was huge and measured around 2ft square.

Since the Leather was New and Unused and therefore full of 'dressing' I opted to wipe the Windows with the Microfiber Cloth and was amazed!

As it just sucked the Water off the Windscreen, leaving it bone dry, with none of the water streaks that you sometimes get when using a 'Chammy'

So I couldn't wait to try it out, next time I washed the Car, first by using the 'Chammy' and then by using the 'Microfiber Cloth'

The difference was amazing! and in my opinion 'No Contest' as while the Leather seemed to need constant wringing out, the Microfiber Cloth sucked up the water, leaving the Paintwork bone dry and streak free!

I'll never use a Wash Leather on my Car again! the Microfiber Cloth just seemed to ace it on all fronts and doesn't require looking after in the way that a Wash Leather does.

So what do you use to dry your Car after washing? are you in the 'Chammy Camp' or a 'Microfiber' Convert like me?

Although She was Garaged and Covered during the Winter, as you can see She was covered in dust and as such in need of a Wash!

After drying with a Wash Leather She's covered in streaks of water, so lots more work to do!

The Microfiber did it in one! and left a streak free finish, so no more Wash Leathers for me!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/
Yes to microfiber. I have one the size of a bath towel which I use to dry a washed car to avoid water spots due to the hard water in my area. Bigger is better, only takes a couple of minutes to do an entire car.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hi OB,

Microfibre is great for drying but don't use it for washing as the fibres aren't long enough. For washing, use a proper wash mitt and NEVER a sponge.

As regards washing up liquid, I would politely suggest that you buy a decent car shampoo. Washing up liquid contains a huge amount of salt which you are depositing in all the nooks and crannies of your car to eat away unseen at the metal! Stop using it!!

It also contains strong alkalis which are used to cut through grease etc on dirty plates. This is what causes all the streaks on your car when dry.

Get some good car shampoo. Your car deserves it!

Good luck

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
orangeblossom (03-12-2015), tokyodon (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by texasscot
Yes to microfiber. I have one the size of a bath towel which I use to dry a washed car to avoid water spots due to the hard water in my area. Bigger is better, only takes a couple of minutes to do an entire car.
100% Agree on that, Bigger is Certainly better!

But this one measures 2ft X 2ft and is just about the right size, for not only drying the Car after washing but also for keeping inside the Car, should the Windscreen gets dirty.

I was absolutely Amazed! at how quickly it soaked up the Water and left a streak free finish, even on a hot day.

Don't knock it till you've tried it Guys! Microfiber 'Rocks!'

Old 03-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Hi OB,

Microfibre is great for drying but don't use it for washing as the fibres aren't long enough. For washing, use a proper wash mitt and NEVER a sponge.

As regards washing up liquid, I would politely suggest that you buy a decent car shampoo. Washing up liquid contains a huge amount of salt which you are depositing in all the nooks and crannies of your car to eat away unseen at the metal! Stop using it!!

It also contains strong alkalis which are used to cut through grease etc on dirty plates. This is what causes all the streaks on your car when dry.

Get some good car shampoo. Your car deserves it!

Good luck

Paul
Hi Paul

Always good to hear from you and take your point about the Washing Up liquid!

So I will buy some proper Car Shampoo!

Am I ok to use a Sponge for Washing? I've never heard of anyone using a 'Wash Mit' before and cannot say I've ever heard of one!

But Microfiber for Drying really blows me away!

So much better than those 'Old School' Leathers.

That go hard, crack, fall to bits, and generally smell blinking awful if you don't look after them.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hi OB,

Microfibre also excellent for applying and finishing any sort of polish on the car. Lots of differences in price and many suppliers around. You can often find a pack of 6-10 for £10 nowadays. I keep a few in the house for bathroom and kitchen cleaning, a few in the garage and a few in the boot of the car. Sometimes modern technology really does change your life! Throw them in the washing machine when dirty but DON'T use fabric conditioner as it stops the absorbency on the microfibre.

As regards, sponges for washing cars? Throw them in the bin straight away! Sponges trap dirt and grit on the surface and then you drag the grit all over the surface of the car! Wash Mitts pick up the dirt but trap in further down in the fibres so you don't then put it back on the car. Car detailers seem to use lambswool ones (£13-£20) but many of us mere mortals use long microfibre ones. You'll pick up a good long microfibre one for about £6-£9. Have a look at the Meguiars ones. You wear it like a glove, so it won't drop on the ground! And being worn on your hand, you can poke your fingers into all the small places. Go buy one, some good car shampoo and some more microfibre cloths. It will transform your (car-washing) life!

Cheers

Paul

The following 3 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Gunner01 (03-12-2015), orangeblossom (03-12-2015), tokyodon (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Hi OB,

Microfibre also excellent for applying and finishing any sort of polish on the car. Lots of differences in price and many suppliers around. You can often find a pack of 6-10 for £10 nowadays. I keep a few in the house for bathroom and kitchen cleaning, a few in the garage and a few in the boot of the car. Sometimes modern technology really does change your life! Throw them in the washing machine when dirty but DON'T use fabric conditioner as it stops the absorbency on the microfibre.

As regards, sponges for washing cars? Throw them in the bin straight away! Sponges trap dirt and grit on the surface and then you drag the grit all over the surface of the car! Wash Mitts pick up the dirt but trap in further down in the fibres so you don't then put it back on the car. Car detailers seem to use lambswool ones (£13-£20) but many of us mere mortals use long microfibre ones. You'll pick up a good long microfibre one for about £6-£9. Have a look at the Meguiars ones. You wear it like a glove, so it won't drop on the ground! And being worn on your hand, you can poke your fingers into all the small places. Go buy one, some good car shampoo and some more microfibre cloths. It will transform your (car-washing) life!

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul

Thanks i will do that but never thought of using one to finish polishing off!

I always use 'MER' Car Polish and I use a rough cloth to polish it off when it dries, so Microfiber will be just the thing!

I've also thought of a really great Advert for my 'Thread' 'Your Mother Wouldn't Like It' But need to know the 0-60 of an XJS V12

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-12-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

I hope you'd take any suggestion I made as being done with good intentions and never a criticism of the individual! And my view is never worth any more than your own or anyone else's! Ususally less, in fact!

Anyway, here's my (personal!) suggestion of the 0-60 times for a V12 XJS as tested in the UK:

Pre-HE: 6.9 (Autocar)
P-Digital: 7.6 (Motor)
HE: 6.5 (Autocar)
Cabriolet: 7.7 (Autocar)
Conv: 8.0 (Autocar)
F/ lift Coupe: 7.8 (Jaguar)
F/lift Conv: 8.1 (Jaguar)
6.0 Litre Coupe: 6.6 (Jaguar)
6.0 Litre Conv: 6.8 (Jaguar)

Paul

Old 03-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Agree with the others, a good microfiber towel is the best for drying, I have a couple of, well really large ones I use when drying, and have smaller ones for the windows. as for soap, a good car was specific is the best to use. I use Liquid Glass to polish the XJS and my other cars. It can also be use on the glass (outside only) and repels water better that Rain X IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by daverb:
orangeblossom (03-12-2015), tokyodon (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

I have the same olor on my 84 XJS, only the code for the paint on mine is not marked, do you have it on yours, would like to know what it called. I get a lot of compliments on it

Old 03-12-2015, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Last edited by malc4d; 03-12-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

No-one mentioned the trivet for the bottom of the pail! Another lifesaver, it traps any grit when you rinse your mit.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

I hope you'd take any suggestion I made as being done with good intentions and never a criticism of the individual! And my view is never worth any more than your own or anyone else's! Ususally less, in fact!

Anyway, here's my (personal!) suggestion of the 0-60 times for a V12 XJS as tested in the UK:

Paul
Hi Paul

Of course I take it all with 'Good Intentions' my comment was only intended as a bit of 'Fun' because unlike me! you are always 'Spot On' with giving the right information.

While I just do my best with what I know (which sometimes isn't very much at all!)

As such I am very reliant on all the help that You and others give me, or my Car would be still in the Garage and not on the road.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

Paul
Thanks Paul

I'm really spoilt for Choice now, I'll just have to pick the one approptiate to my Car.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by daverb
Agree with the others, a good microfiber towel is the best for drying, I have a couple of, well really large ones I use when drying, and have smaller ones for the windows. as for soap, a good car was specific is the best to use. I use Liquid Glass to polish the XJS and my other cars. It can also be use on the glass (outside only) and repels water better that Rain X IMO.
Thanks

I must try some of that.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by texasscot
No-one mentioned the trivet for the bottom of the pail! Another lifesaver, it traps any grit when you rinse your mit.
That's a new one on me but it makes perfect sense.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by daverb
I have the same olor on my 84 XJS, only the code for the paint on mine is not marked, do you have it on yours, would like to know what it called. I get a lot of compliments on it
Its probably on mine somewhere but I don't know where to find it, so no doubt someone who does know will come to the rescue!

Though I've got a very good feeling that it could be 'Dorchester Grey'

Old 03-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Hi OB,

I think we all have the same amount of knowledge..only it's about different things! One of my friends says that I'm the person to go to but only if you want to know all sorts of s**t about all sorts of c**p!

As regards your colour, you'll probably find a label on the passenger (LH) B-post under the door catch. this has the colour and trim codes. Dorchester Grey is LDP.

Paul

Old 03-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hi OB,

I think we all have the same amount of knowledge..only it's about different things! One of my friends says that I'm the person to go to but only if you want to know all sorts of s**t about all sorts of c**p!

As regards your colour, you'll probably find a label on the passenger (LH) B-post under the door catch. this has the colour and trim codes. Dorchester Grey is LDP.

Paul
Thanks Paul

When I get Her out of the Garage, then I will have a look.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Microfiber

Use the big waffle weave towels to dry. I usually spray some detail spray on as I dry.

Don't use fabric softener on them or anything else you wash/dry your car. Will dull the finish. May want to invest in some microfiber shampoo it will make them last longer.

Some good detailing info/videos here:

Adam's Instructional Videos (2009) -

Quick Reply: Hell For Leather!