XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 05:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help Needed

XJS V-12 Classic Jaguar Coup
Hi everyone my name is Julie. I live in Texas. Please be patient with me, as this is the first time I do this.
I am trying to help a friend with special needs whom inherited a 1991 XJS V-12 Classic Jaguar from his uncle, whom originally purchased it in 1991. He has all the original paperwork, it has 38,000 miles, the paint and interior is in mint condition, but it was damaged on the front passenger side, while parked outside. It has a clean and clear Title. Runs good and has no mechanical or structural damage other than the quarter panel and headlight. It was garage kept until last year, but has a cover on it to protect it from damage at present.
This car means the world to him, but due to health issues, he has had to relocate to Texas and has no way of caring for it any longer.
The car is located in Hazlet, New Jersey in the care of a friend at this time.
Sadly we no nothing about these beautiful cars and do not know what it may be worth. Would anyone here be able to give me some kind of insight, as to what it may be worth.
Thank you, Julie

Old 06-06-2018, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Sadly...In that condition, not much. The value of the car is about 8,000 but it needs $3500 in repairs. $1000 in sheet metal, $500 in other parts, and $2000 in labor and paint work. The XJS market in this area isn't great and the car has damage that will cost, perhaps, 1/2 of it value to repair. Was there any insurance on this car?

I suspect someone who would buy such a project wouldn't pay anything over $1500 for this project but you never know so list it on CL and let the craziness begin.

There is a small group of people in this area that buy broken kitties but they know the value and will pounce on the weak.

Good Luck.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Julie

If you know a friend who has a bit of 'initiative' then although I'm not an expert, I would say that it looks like a very easy repair

But first you would need a new Bonnet/Hood or one from a Scrap Yard the Same Color and then let a Bodyshop get to work on the bent bits, which could cost a lot less than you think

So worthwhile going to get a couple of Quotes and then once repaired put her on 'Bring a Trailer'
https://bringatrailer.com/

But this time leave the 'Leaper' off the Bonnet/Hood

What is with the 'Gold Bonnet/Hood' Badge? (leave that on!) that is quite unusual and normally found on Celebration Models, maybe you've got something a bit Special there?

Once repaired then I would say an easy $5,000 on Bring a Trailer

Old 06-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Sadly...In that condition, not much. The value of the car is about 8,000 but it needs $3500 in repairs. $1000 in sheet metal, $500 in other parts, and $2000 in labor and paint work. The XJS market in this area isn't great and the car has damage that will cost, perhaps, 1/2 of it value to repair. Was there any insurance on this car?

I suspect someone who would buy such a project wouldn't pay anything over $1500 for this project but you never know so list it on CL and let the craziness begin.

There is a small group of people in this area that buy broken kitties but they know the value and will pounce on the weak.

Good Luck.
​​​​​​​Thank you for the info, very useful and grateful. Julie

Old 06-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Julie

If you know a friend who has a bit of 'initiative' then although I'm not an expert, I would say that it looks like a very easy repair

But first you would need a new Bonnet/Hood or one from a Scrap Yard the Same Color and then let a Bodyshop get to work on the bent bits, which could cost a lot less than you think

So worthwhile going to get a couple of Quotes and then once repaired put her on 'Bring a Trailer'

What is with the 'Gold Bonnet/Hood' Badge? (leave that on!) that is quite unusual and normally found on Celebration Models, maybe you've got something a bit Special there?

Thank you orangeblossom, I so wish it were possible, but with all his resources gone. Him in Texas and the car in New Jersey, it feels completely impossible, as for the ornament I think it's original, one is the original Medalion, I know that, but Jaguar in the center belonged to his first Jag.
From what my friend Dino told me, his uncle purchased it straight out of the showroom, he said it is a one in 5 that were made that year and on his original Title it has where it states it's the 1st one made that year.
I thank you for all your help and if we see it feasible, we will sure do that. Again thank you for your input. Julie

Old 06-06-2018, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Julie

I would definitely take the Ornament (Leaper) Off and keep it as a 'Keepsake' if you want to, as these were fitted after-market by dealers, Jaguar never fitted them as 'Stock'

A lot of people don't like them, as some say that it spoils the lines of the Bonnet/Hood but as for the round 'Growler' leave that on as that was a Jaguar fitment and a 'Gold one' is very unusual

As I've only ever heard of these being fitted to the Celebration Models and could be a bigger selling point than you might think

Even if you don't have her repaired 'Bring a Trailer' could still be worth a shot

Old 06-06-2018, 05:20 PM

Hi Julie

I would definitely take the Ornament (Leaper) Off and keep it as a 'Keepsake' if you want to, as these were fitted after-market by dealers, Jaguar never fitted them as 'Stock'

A lot of people don't like them, as some say that it spoils the lines of the Bonnet/Hood but as for the round 'Growler' leave that on as that was a Jaguar fitment and a 'Gold one' is very unusual

As I've only ever heard of these being fitted to the Celebration Models and could be a bigger selling point than you might think

Even if you don't have her repaired 'Bring a Trailer' could still be worth a shot
lol, I like u orangeblossom. The leaper, as I said belonged to his first Jag and can be taken off as a keepsake, but the Gold Medallion belongs to it. The car came with it and will not change that for the world. Julie

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 06:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Julie

Very meaningful reply. Not sure if there was any mention of the engine starting and no radiator damage?

It looks like the radiator support and the fans are probably pushed into the engine timing chain cover + WP.

It looks like a car worth saving with 38 K miles, original and 1 owner. Inserted the sales results from Bring A Trailer auctions for the XJS. Prices are climbing fast for original low mileage.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:39 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Wow. Looks like the same car, double gold leaper/emblems too!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...isited-201747/

Old 06-06-2018, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
Wow. Looks like the same car, double gold leaper/emblems too!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...isited-201747/
actually I just found out thru the owner. It's gold pin strip, as well as the Medallion are Italian Gold. This is the 1st of only 5 that were made that year. The leaper is also Italian Gold but belonged to his first Jag. But the emblem is original and goes to the gold Jag series.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Julie

In that case it looks like you do indeed have something 'Special' a 'Classics Collection' last of the line pre-facelift

Quite possibly one of the most sought after XJS's ever made and so, so, so, worth having repaired!

Where She could be fetching 'Megabucks' on 'Bring a Trailer' where its up to the buyer to do all the work of arranging Collection

If She were a Right Hand Drive and here in the UK then 'I would walk on broken glass to buy her' but would probably have to join a very long queue!

Don't let the fact She's damaged make you think She's worthless, cause She's not and that's a very easy repair for a Body-shop to do

Damaged or not that Car could fetch 'Serious Money'

Alex

Old 06-07-2018, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Don't let the fact She's damaged make you think She's worthless, cause She's not and that's a very easy repair for a Body-shop to do
100% correct OB. That is a new (ie second hand) bonnet and grille (hood) plus either a little work on the wing round the headlight, or a new (ie S/H) wing and a bumper chrome. All are easily available and cheap and bolt on, plus a bit of braising on the wing/3/4 panel join under the bumper corner. I am willing to bet that there is no structural damage, at worst a valence or two needing straightening.
The most expensive bit will be the gold stripe if you have a new wing!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:32 AM

Hi Julie

In that case it looks like you do indeed have something 'Special' a 'Classics Collection' last of the line pre-facelift

Quite possibly one of the most sought after XJS's ever made and so, so, so, worth having repaired!

Where She could be fetching 'Megabucks' on 'Bring a Trailer' where its up to the buyer to do all the work of arranging Collection

If She were a Right Hand Drive and here in the UK then 'I would walk on broken glass to buy her' but would probably have to join a very long queue!

Damaged or not that Car could fetch 'Serious Money'

Alex
oh Alex thank you for such encouragement. I so wish we could fix it but sadly will have to be sold as is. Thank you so much tho. Julie

Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by unimoged
Very meaningful reply. Not sure if there was any mention of the engine starting and no radiator damage?

It looks like the radiator support and the fans are probably pushed into the engine timing chain cover + WP.

It looks like a car worth saving with 38 K miles, original and 1 owner. Inserted the sales results from Bring A Trailer auctions for the XJS. Prices are climbing fast for original low mileage.

Hi unimoged, the motor is in perfect running condition and the owner has everything for a tune up in the trunk, always ready to be pampered. No mechanical issues at all only cosmetic. It is 1st of the Gold Medallion Series, in a 5 car series, made for the USA that year. The Medallion and pin stripe, from what I found out is made of Italian Gold. There are only three left, that I believe have survived to date. Julie

Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Julie,
Please post a link to the listing when you post it. We will all watch with anticipation and perhaps someone here may be interested as well.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by JigJag
Julie,
Please post a link to the listing when you post it. We will all watch with anticipation and perhaps someone here may be interested as well.
My apologies but am new to all of this, what is a link? There is no website, just some pics.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Julie

A link is a 'Clickable Shortcut' to either a Website or a Page of a Website or could be a link to an Advert on the Page of a Website (just a few examples)

So wherever you advertise your Car, if you decide to advertise it

Then you could copy and paste the 'Shortcut Link' to your Advert on this Forum, so that anyone interested could go direct to your Advert without having to 'Trawl Through' loads of others

(Q) Where do you find the link?

(A) When you place your advert, the page that its on will be displayed in the Browser Bar at the Top
Left Click and drag the Cursor right to left to Highlight it

Then Right Click on the Line you Highlighted (while it is Still Highlighted) and then Right Click 'Copy' in the drop down box

At this point you have Created a Shortcut Link 'That you cannot see!' because it is on an invisible thing called 'The Clipboard'

(Q) How do you add this invisible link to a Post on this Forum so that we can all see it?

(A) Left Click on the Globe Symbol with the Chain 'Link' on it (a highlighted http://) will come up, so hit backspace to remove it

Then Right Click in the box where you just removed the Highlighted (http://) and then Right Click on Paste in the Drop Down Box

And the Link will appear in your Post wherever you left you Cursor

This 'Link' will appear in your Post in 'Blue'

Then when we click on this 'Blue Link' it will take us Straight to your advert or the page of the Website on which it appears

Example: This is a 'Link' to 'Bring a Trailer' https://bringatrailer.com

Old 06-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,905 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Just a cautionary note here; the oil cooler and radiator/condenser will probably be toast but an easy fix.
What may be problematic is the fact that bonnet (hood) has popped at the back; if the hinges have transferred any damage to the bulkhead then serious work is involved to straighten it otherwise the bonnet will never line up.
Hopefully that hasn't happened and it will be a simple fix.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

The bulkhead will be fine Steve.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Steve M
Just a cautionary note here; the oil cooler and radiator/condenser will probably be toast but an easy fix.
What may be problematic is the fact that bonnet (hood) has popped at the back; if the hinges have transferred any damage to the bulkhead then serious work is involved to straighten it otherwise the bonnet will never line up.
Hopefully that hasn't happened and it will be a simple fix.
Hi Steve thankfully the bulkhead is fine. It's only cosmetic, no serious injuries. Purrs like a kitten upon start up and still runs like new. Julie

Quick Reply: Help Needed