XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help removing front seat of my 1995 xjs

Old 02-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help removing front seat of my 1995 xjs

Hi,
I purchased a pair of custom made Sheepskin seatcovers for my xjs and removed the 4 bolts from the floor holding the seat and unplugged the electric seat connection but still can't remove because the flat strap that I'm assuming is wires appears to be pop riveted in. I may be wrong about that but there is absolutely no room between the floor and the seat frame.
I did manage to get the drivers seat cover on but when I tried to move the seat it would not move rearward fully as if something was stopping it which I assume is the straps of the seatcover.
Has anyone installed covers before who may be able to advise me how to go about it ? It is a 1995 xjs convertible.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Russell Rout,

A couple of thoughts:

-If you're trying to unplug the electrics from the seat then naturally you have to unplug the seat ribbon cable from the ecu which is under the metal cover that you have to remove in front of the seat. I assume that's what you mean when say that you have unplugged the electric seat connection?

- If you really need to fix something under the seat (the seat cover straps?) then removing the seat and frame from the floorpan of the car won't really help much. I would suggest that you either fit the straps under the seat (yes, not much space!) whilst the seat is in the car (that's the way I did it) or else remove the seat from the seat runners themselves (That seems an awful lot of work when it's almost just as easy with the seat in the car).

- I don't know what type of cover you have bought but, as you've realised, there's only just enough space to get two straps under the seat. If done carefully, it is possible, as I fitted some lambswool covers a few years ago. Is the cover that you've bought specifically designed for an electric seat XJS?

Good luck

Paul

Old 02-22-2016, 05:59 PM

Paul,I unplugged the wires from the plug but the ribbon seems to be permanently attached to the bottom of the seat. I will look at it again and see if there is a place to unplug the ribbon that I may have overlooked.
It is extremely tight under the seat and the sheep skin covers I had made were custom to this car so I'm assuming they knew about the electric seats. I have a total of 4 straps to get under there, 3 back to front and one side to side. I got it on but the seat would not move all the way back and forth so something has to be impeding the movement.
Thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate it.
Russell

Old 02-23-2016, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Russell,

If you've unplugged the ribbon cable from the ecu (plus the other 2 wires) and undone the four torx bolts holding the seat and runners to the floor then you can remove the seat (attached to its runner frame). The ribbon cable is a part of the seat electrics so is integral to the runner frame.

I would then turn the whole assembly over and try and fit the straps under the seat (but above the runner frame). If you can't do that, I would then remove the seat from the runner frame, fit the covers and then fit the seat back to the runner frame before re-installing in the car.

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Jonathan-W (02-23-2016), Russell Routt (02-23-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:34 PM

Thanks Paul,
I didn't realize that there was a metal plate under the carpet that I could remove and unplug the seat there also. I really appreciate your help.
Russell