XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Home Made Front Wheel Bearing Greaser XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Way back when, I worked at a full service gas station, while working my way through college. Parents provided room and board and I most of the rest. Plus, the family 50 Pontiac when my flivvers were down.

I do have one of those disk affairs for bearing packing. I don't think I've ever used it.

I was taught how to clean the bearings, not spinning them dry. Then working in the long fiber grease by hand. Noting in the cavity between front and rear. Wasteful of product and of no benefit was my tutor's explanation.

I still do it that way, although it's been a while since the last time.

I had the front hubs of the derelict VW buggy. Ball bearings in lieu of the usual rollers. Fair amount of grease on the bearings. Noine in the space between them.

But, the Zerk in the spare grease cap is ingenius. Takes a lot of strokes on the gun to assure enough to the rear bearings.

I had the calipers off My 79 IHC Scout II and 85 Ford F50 4x several times. No issues with pistons. But, each ate rotors!! Same brake set up. Dealt with by use of a drift, BFH and 9/16 wrench!!! Crude!!!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Remember all the extra grease in the wheel hub is in the rotating area of the hub. This will add to an imbalance of the whole rotating mass. When you balance the wheels you are adding weights to counter the imbalance of the wheel assembly not the entire rotating mass. Please remove the extra grease, because no amount of wheel balance will correct for the big blob you just left in the hub, which will change positions often and can not be counter balanced.
Check with your friendly local racing teams and see if they leave extra blobs of grease in their hub assemblies. The current flock of quality wheel bearing grease is formulated to stay in the bearings with a high level of adhesion, similar to what long fiber grease would do to a point.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but if your going to get effective grease into a wheel bearing that wheel bearing needs to be removed and "packed" with grease, I doub't haveing a zerk in the outer cap is going to do much other then making one feel some sense of satisfaction but in the end it's probably not going to do much in the way of introducing grease to the inside of a wheel bearing. That "cap" on the back hubs of my XJS is a good way to drop $ on grease but I can assure you I'm not in any way convinced it's any good to properly introduce grease to the inner and outer bearings. It's not an amazingly hard job to pull the front or rear hub and do the job right and it's not something that even needs to be done very often plus they'll be loaded and adjusted properly in the end and also a good chance for inspection as to the condition of the bearings.
As the Hubs have no Grease nipples, it looks like they are the sealed type that may not need any additional Grease to what is already in there.

I only added some extra grease, as a precautionary measure as the hub got hot, due to a sticking front Caliper, though as there was no sign at all of any grease leaking out, the oil seal in the back of the hub must still be ok.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Way back when, I worked at a full service gas station, while working my way through college. Parents provided room and board and I most of the rest. Plus, the family 50 Pontiac when my flivvers were down.

I do have one of those disk affairs for bearing packing. I don't think I've ever used it.

I was taught how to clean the bearings, not spinning them dry. Then working in the long fiber grease by hand. Noting in the cavity between front and rear. Wasteful of product and of no benefit was my tutor's explanation.

I still do it that way, although it's been a while since the last time.

I had the front hubs of the derelict VW buggy. Ball bearings in lieu of the usual rollers. Fair amount of grease on the bearings. Noine in the space between them.

But, the Zerk in the spare grease cap is ingenius. Takes a lot of strokes on the gun to assure enough to the rear bearings.

I had the calipers off My 79 IHC Scout II and 85 Ford F50 4x several times. No issues with pistons. But, each ate rotors!! Same brake set up. Dealt with by use of a drift, BFH and 9/16 wrench!!! Crude!!!

Carl
Hi Carl

Thanks, You made my day!

It did take quite a few pumps with the gun but I was in no hurry and every time I turned the Rotor, I could hear that satisfying squelch of all the grease going in.

It certainly was a lot easier, than bleeding those brakes all over again, as they were a nightmare to do from the very beginning and I must have used 5 litres of Dot 4 before I got a hard pedal.

Always nice to hear from someone, who does things the 'Old School' way, which is often the best.

As for my Hub Cab idea, it just came out of no where but it really did the job amazingly well.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RonaldP
Remember all the extra grease in the wheel hub is in the rotating area of the hub. This will add to an imbalance of the whole rotating mass. When you balance the wheels you are adding weights to counter the imbalance of the wheel assembly not the entire rotating mass. Please remove the extra grease, because no amount of wheel balance will correct for the big blob you just left in the hub, which will change positions often and can not be counter balanced.
Check with your friendly local racing teams and see if they leave extra blobs of grease in their hub assemblies. The current flock of quality wheel bearing grease is formulated to stay in the bearings with a high level of adhesion, similar to what long fiber grease would do to a point.
Hi Ron

The extra grease does not appear to have affected the balance of the Wheels in any way, as there is no shake in the steering wheel or any kind of vibration and if I let go of the Steering Wheel.

She still runs straight and true, so while I get what you are saying and appreciate that 'tip' I am going to leave things as they are and enjoy the car for the 'Summer' unless She develops a problem.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

The "extra" grease behind the dust cap is centered mass and isn't going to effect wheel balance, it's just not going to do much else but sit there. Like I said it may make you feel good but it's just extra unneeded or unused grease.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
The "extra" grease behind the dust cap is centered mass and isn't going to effect wheel balance, it's just not going to do much else but sit there. Like I said it may make you feel good but it's just extra unneeded or unused grease.
Ok Thanks

Point taken but wherever it went it must have done some good, as the Rotor was making the kind of sound that a well greased component should and that gave me a lot of Automotive satisfaction.

As for a few dollars for grease, even if it was wasted, was just a drop in the Ocean, when compared to the money I have already spent.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I have 1 of these bearing greasers with the two halves and it works like a charm. I bought it to use on my wheel bearings for boat trailer as I greased bearings monthly. I also had bearing buddies which is a center cap with grease nipple on spring loaded piston to keep grease moving into bearings as grease heated up. Never had bearing trouble but it would lesve a hell of a mess on my boat on longer trips as grease would expel at will

orangeblossom (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
I have 1 of these bearing greasers with the two halves and it works like a charm. I bought it to use on my wheel bearings for boat trailer as I greased bearings monthly. I also had bearing buddies which is a center cap with grease nipple on spring loaded piston to keep grease moving into bearings as grease heated up. Never had bearing trouble but it would lesve a hell of a mess on my boat on longer trips as grease would expel at will
Hi That was very interesting, as I used to be into boats myself and could have used something like that.

Many Thanks

For Replying.