XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How easy is it to fit a rear Anti Roll Bar and where can I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,597 Posts
Default How easy is it to fit a rear Anti Roll Bar and where can I get one?

How easy is it to fit a Rear Anti Roll Bar and where can I get one?

Is it just a straight bolt on, or is any drilling involved.

How much difference would it make to the handling and would it be worth it.

Does anyone have any relevant Pics that they could Share.

I don't want to go for lower Springs, or anything like that, as I can only just clear the road humps near my house.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
How easy is it to fit a Rear Anti Roll Bar and where can I get one?

Is it just a straight bolt on, or is any drilling involved.

How much difference would it make to the handling and would it be worth it.

Does anyone have any relevant Pics that they could Share.

I don't want to go for lower Springs, or anything like that, as I can only just clear the road humps near my house.
Most cars have the mount studs already in place under car in the area of rear seat back. so you only need bar, bushes and mount plates. Radius arms vary with some having the mount point and some not so you may or may not need to swap them over.

Last edited by baxtor; 06-18-2016 at 08:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 09:45 PM
Received 10,306 Likes on 6,818 Posts

Baxtor is right.

The 4 studs, 2 each side, MAY be fitted to a 1990, my 1985 was.

Go to Grubloggers, get the sway bar. drop inks, trailing arms, "D" brackets.

Mostly PreHE XJ-S had them, but NOT all. Jaguar fitted, removed, fitted, removed, that rear bar at random throughout the early days of the XJ-S.

Makes a difference, HELL YES>

We fitted one to the S2 Daimler, oh boy, what a transformation.

I would NOT mess with aftermarket kits, thats me, no other reason, the Jag set up is good and it WORKS.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
orangeblossom (06-19-2016), warrjon (06-20-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Baxtor is right.

The 4 studs, 2 each side, MAY be fitted to a 1990, my 1985 was.

Go to Grubloggers, get the sway bar. drop inks, trailing arms, "D" brackets.

Mostly PreHE XJ-S had them, but NOT all. Jaguar fitted, removed, fitted, removed, that rear bar at random throughout the early days of the XJ-S.

Makes a difference, HELL YES>

We fitted one to the S2 Daimler, oh boy, what a transformation.

I would NOT mess with aftermarket kits, thats me, no other reason, the Jag set up is good and it WORKS.
Hi Grant@Baxtor Cheers,

In that case Its worth looking into, as it sounds like an easy handling fix to do.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

My experience on my 91 conv with the stock 5/8" rear anti roll bar was fabricating & welding brackets to the radius arms, replaced both arm bushings, dropping the rear part of the exhaust, and I had my springs/shocks off but don't know if that's necessary for bar work, but certainly makes the job easier. I also replaced the front 7/8" anti roll bar with the stock sport 1" to get the full benefit, a whole other installation subject.
I bought my entire stock rear bar assembly used. Buying stock link pins may be a problem along with cost for the entire project. I don't know.
I would only do it again IF I picked up the entire bar assembly very cheap and had the IRS down for what ever reason. IMO I don't think the average driver would notice the handling difference maybe the firmer ride though. Just my opinion.
Lawrence

Last edited by 44lawrence; 06-19-2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: left out word
Old 06-19-2016, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Rear Anti Roll Bar and where can I get one?

Here's a start, but you'll still need a few bits

Jaguar XJS Sports Pack Rear Anti Roll Bar 16mm | eBay

Jaguar XJS Rear Anti Roll Bar 14mm | eBay

Cheers
DD

Old 06-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 44lawrence
My experience on my 91 conv with the stock 5/8" rear anti roll bar was fabricating & welding brackets to the radius arms, replaced both arm bushings, dropping the rear part of the exhaust, and I had my springs/shocks off but don't know if that's necessary for bar work, but certainly makes the job easier. I also replaced the front 7/8" anti roll bar with the stock sport 1" to get the full benefit, a whole other installation subject.
I bought my entire stock rear bar assembly used. Buying stock link pins may be a problem along with cost for the entire project. I don't know.
I would only do it again IF I picked up the entire bar assembly very cheap and had the IRS down for what ever reason. IMO I don't think the average driver would notice the handling difference maybe the firmer ride though. Just my opinion.
Lawrence
Cheers Lawrence

Definite food for thought on that.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Cheers Doug

There doesn't look much to it, except I wouldn't know how to fit it on.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Cheers Doug

There doesn't look much to it, except I wouldn't know how to fit it on.
It's pretty easy, just nuts-n-bolts...especially if your car already has the stud plates in the floor pan.

Maybe this illustration will help:

Anti Roll Bar-5.3 Litre-Sportspack - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

You'll need:

-the bar itself
-brackets and bushings to mount the bar to the body
-end links, bar-to-radius arms
-radius arms with brackets to accept the end links, or weld little brackets to your existing radius arms
-bolts and nuts as needed

That's really all there is to it

Cheers
DD

Cheers
DD

Old 06-19-2016, 12:57 PM

Actually the best suspension upgrade I made was fitting the Harvey Bailey "X" frame in the front in order to control "shuttle shake" in XJ-S Conv's ,(said to be a common problem with the conv.) I don't know if that company is around anymore . It was pretty pricey , around $300.
Lawrence

Old 06-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
It's pretty easy, just nuts-n-bolts...especially if your car already has the stud plates in the floor pan.

Maybe this illustration will help:

Anti Roll Bar-5.3 Litre-Sportspack - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

You'll need:

-the bar itself
-brackets and bushings to mount the bar to the body
-end links, bar-to-radius arms
-radius arms with brackets to accept the end links, or weld little brackets to your existing radius arms
-bolts and nuts as needed

That's really all there is to it

Cheers
DD

Cheers
DD
Cheers Doug

That doesn't sound too bad and so I'll start looking round for some parts.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Actually the best suspension upgrade I made was fitting the Harvey Bailey "X" frame in the front in order to control "shuttle shake" in XJ-S Conv's ,(said to be a common problem with the conv.) I don't know if that company is around anymore . It was pretty pricey , around $300.
Lawrence
Hi Lawrence

I've never heard of one of those before, so I'll check it out.

Many Thanks.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I agree with Grant, DO NOT by an aftermarket one unless you get a guarantee it will fit. I bought a Pedders rear SB kit and there is NO way I can get it fit so its been sitting in the shed for 6 years.

orangeblossom (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
I agree with Grant, DO NOT by an aftermarket one unless you get a guarantee it will fit. I bought a Pedders rear SB kit and there is NO way I can get it fit so its been sitting in the shed for 6 years.
Ok Warrjon

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:25 AM

I have a Driven Man (DM) front & rear bar's on mine. Everything was in the kit & fit perfect but must mention the DM rear bar is thicker and a thicker front bar really should be considered. I was impressed with the billet link pins & bushings, but had to use big washers on all four bushing sides to make sure they stay in the link's. One bushing fell out and getting a new one off DM was a big DEAL. His rear bar included the radius arm (RA) to bar brackets that should be welded on if the car was not factory fitted you must fabricate & weld . Welding without r&r the rear RA bush could melt the bush rubber. In any case it was good time to restore the radius arms.

Last edited by 44lawrence; 06-20-2016 at 07:37 AM. Reason: forgot y on the word they
orangeblossom (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Driven Man (DM) front & rear bar's on mine. Everything was in the kit & fit perfect but must mention the DM rear bar is thicker and a thicker front bar really should be considered. I was impressed with the billet link pins & bushings, but had to use big washers on all four bushing sides to make sure they stay in the link's. One bushing fell out and getting a new one off DM was a big DEAL. His rear bar included the radius arm (RA) to bar brackets that should be welded on if the car was not factory fitted you must fabricate & weld . Welding without r&r the rear RA bush could melt the bush rubber. In any case it was good time to restore the radius arms.
Cheers Lawrence

That's useful to know.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

Maybe a controversial view but I wouldn't bother if I were you. I agree that it might tighten things up even on a Sportspack model, but remember that Jaguar deleted the rear anti-roll bar on late XJSs.

I think that money is better spent making sure that you have good quality springs and adjustable shocks. That will give you a perfectly acceptable rear end. If your ground clearance is low, it might be that your rear springs and shocks are already somewhat worn and a rear A/R bar is just going to slightly mask a bigger problem.

With my revised springs and shocks, and radius arm bushes fitted as per JaguarSport, I have set up the rear end on mine to what I consider is really quite an acceptable level.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 06-20-2016 at 03:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (06-21-2016), orangeblossom (06-21-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

but remember that Jaguar deleted the rear anti-roll bar on late XJSs.

Penny pinchers !

Yes, Jaguar deleted it on the HE cars but perhaps realizing their mistake, re-introduced it on the 3.6 cars and, later, on some of the 5.3 Sportspack cars. Later still (as I recall) it was standard fit on the last couple years of 4.0 coupes (but not convertibles)

So Jaguar was certainly not too terribly opposed to using a rear bar.

But, you're right in that there are many other ways to get the improvements we're fater.

Cheers
DD

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 06-20-2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: hit 'reply' too soon !
Old 06-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Doug,

It wasn't fitted at all on even Sportspack cars for the last few years of production. I agree that it was all to do with money vs performance. So it seems sports springs and shocks were deemed more important than a rear A/R bar.

Paul

Old 06-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Doug,

It wasn't fitted at all on even Sportspack cars for the last few years of production. I agree that it was all to do with money vs performance. So it seems sports springs and shocks were deemed more important than a rear A/R bar.
My opinion is that as the XJS become more 'personal luxury car' oriented rather than 'performance oriented', Jaguar simply felt that not many people would notice the difference or even care...but then changed their minds a couple times along the way

Anyhow, I've yet to hear from anyone who has installed the rear bar that wasn't delighted with the improvement even if Jaguar couldn't quite make up their minds whether we should have it or not !

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 06-20-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: How easy is it to fit a rear Anti Roll Bar and where can I get one?