XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How this forum helped me pick a car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts
Default How this forum helped me pick a car.

Just wanted to make a note of this so you all can feel good about yourselves ...

You may notice in my signature that of my two vintage Jags, my '87 XJ6 is up for sale but my '89 XJS is not.

To cut a very long story into something short, we had to get rid of a car this month because of a space and resources issue. My '87 is one of the best examples of a Series III XJ6 I've ever seen. My '89 XJS is a reliable, willing performer, but it needs TLC on some interior details, the A/C doesn't work correctly, the electric seat belts have a soul-level connection to Beelzebub, etc. In short, if you were going to hold onto one of these for collection purposes, you'd take the XJ6.

I took the XJS, and a large part of that reason is this subforum. This is not to be taken as a shot at the S1-3 forum, but rather as a compliment to this one, because the level of helpfulness and willingness to answer questions, no matter how repetitive they can get, is something above and beyond.

I'm reading poor orangeblossom's thread about his engine failure today and all the posts of encouragement and suggestions of possible fixes are something else. So yeah, part of the decision for me to stay in the XJS game rather than the sedan game is the fellowship here. For many years, I've been heavy into the Mitsubishi Starion (Chrysler Conquest) cars for partially that same reason. So keep up the good work, everyone, and keep making us less-talented XJS owner-mechanics feel welcome.

Jess

The following 6 users liked this post by JessN16:
daverb (04-27-2017), Doug (04-27-2017), Greg in France (04-27-2017), Hoppy (04-28-2017), orangeblossom (04-27-2017), that guy (04-26-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:46 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Well done Jess.

Gotta LUV a plan, no matter what the plan.

Went thru similar when I went from 8 to 2, and then the S Types, coz the 2 I kept, XJS, and XJ12, were impossible for me to enter and exit with my handicap. Even looked at Lambo doors on the XJS, but illegal here at that time.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Yep, even the really obvious elementary questions I pose, which are pretty much along the lines of "what are these big round black rubber things that the car sits on?", are answered with admirable degrees of patience and care. Even when I cannot fix it myself, it's still nice to know roughly what it is so I can at least talk to the mechanic without sounding like a total idiot.