Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts
Default how are these mounted

this is a shout out to German XJS owners

how are these mounted...?

any and all help is much appreciated...

parts list on the difference in usa mounting vs german mount

if there is a difference... Hi Greg!

Oh and I hit the big 100000miles

Attached Thumbnails how are these mounted-img_1293.jpg   how are these mounted-img_1294.jpg   how are these mounted-img_1295.jpg   how are these mounted-img_1296.jpg   how are these mounted-img_1298.jpg  

how are these mounted-img_1243.jpg  

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 12-11-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

They literally pop right into a plastic bracket. I have a Canadian car with those, and they are a little finicky. From what I understand, the receivers are no longer available.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I'm betting the difference is that German market cars has motors and mechanisms to adjust headlight level/aim to compensate for vehicle load/ride height.

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

Old 12-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Doug,

Certainly late German exports had the adjustable frames with cable-based adjustment.

Paul

Old 12-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

It looks like you may have some rust inside that bowl, I had a similar problem with mine. The light output was pretty poor. If you hit it with a heat gun that glass lens will pop right off and you could rechrome them. There's a split between the front and back half of the housing too, I used JB Weld to put mine back together.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W

how are these mounted...?

parts list on the difference in usa mounting vs german mount

if there is a difference... Hi Greg!
Congrats on the miles! The headlights in your photo look like pre-facelift ones, or at least pre-headlight-fixings change, which may have been later then the first facelifts appearing. The difference in the pre and post fixings is that post, the headlights were mounted on an oblong plastic frame that itself was fixed to the inner part of the nacelle. If you do have a post-change car, I do not think these lights will go in.

Pre facelifts have a slightly open-triangular-looking rubbishy clip that screws onto the nacelle at three points, and one side of this triangular effort holds a plastic slotted clip with an adjuster built in. To mount the pre facelift headlight, the clips have to be screwed on, then, with great care and difficulty the headlight itself pushed into the nacelle so that the tabs on the headlight sides and bottom click into the plastic bit of the clip. This is very hard to achieve, even with new clips, as usually one of the three seems to be engaged but actually is not. Which you do not find out until you try to use the adjusters and nothing happens. The attached photos show the clips. It can be done, but it is very fiddly and very hard to be sure the headlights are actually in properly.

I actually have in stock a pair of extremely rare LHD "euro" headlights, but I have not mounted them because of the difficulty of doing it securely. I am waiting for inspiration/suggestions about how to do it - several years now. The problem being how to securely mount the adjusters to the actual headlight and then mount the adjuster to the nacelle, as there is basically no room once the headlight is in there! Also it has to have some vibration protection, so solid mounts cannot be used.

Anyway, if you try it, the adjusters are not available new anymore, I believe, but second hand ones are at all the UK breakers. Incidentally, if you DO need the facelift bracket-mounted sort, they are NLA, even for RHD cars. Sorry I cannot be more help.
Greg

Attached Thumbnails how are these mounted-dscf3586.jpg   how are these mounted-dscf3585.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Jonathan-W (12-14-2015), ronbros (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

HEY Greg, would you have a spare Left side chrome surround frame??

need one for my 78 XJS, left side, they must be made of cheap plastic, only lasted 36yrs ,LOL,LOL.

just a hoping.