XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

If Jaguar were redesigning the XJS Today what suggestions would you like to make?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

The body design is fine, except for a hood louvers, A MUST ! Another priority is a vent to bring outside air into the cabin . Other than that there's just not enough room to list all the engineering blunders Jaguar "engineers" made on this engine, starting with the idling and cooling system and ending with the IRS and 10 bolt Dana.
Lawrence

The following 2 users liked this post by 44lawrence:
Greg in France (04-28-2016), orangeblossom (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,778 Likes on 7,111 Posts

Originally Posted by 44lawrence
Other than that there's just not enough room to list all the engineering blunders Jaguar "engineers" made on this engine, starting with the idling and cooling system and ending with the IRS and 10 bolt Dana.
Lawrence

There are no engineering faults on these old Jags. Anything that appears to be an engineering fault is really just "an interesting design feature".

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (04-28-2016), Jagboi64 (04-27-2016), orangeblossom (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,927 Likes on 1,670 Posts

What's wrong with the IRS?

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,941 Likes on 1,960 Posts

I think that the modern incarnation of the XJS as a high-performance GT in Coupe or Convertible form is the 5.0 supercharged runout version of the XKR-S.

Therefore, I'm thinking more about all the improvements that were quite feasible and could have happened by the end of the XJS life in 1996 if Jaguar had felt that it was profitable to do so. So, in no particular order:

- compulsory fitment of ZF manual gearboxes on both 4 litre & 6 litre models
- AJ16 supercharged engine fitted in 4 litre models
- lower hood stack when lowered
- separate rear window switches
- cupholders in front part of centre armrest (as fitted on x300)
- standard heated, lumbar adjustment & height adjustable front seats
- straight-through centre exhaust pipes on all models
- compulsory sports suspension on all models
- ability for front centre vents to blow hot air
- twin lights inside the standard ovoid glass units

All possible, all desirable & many already fitted by some owners!

Paul

Old 04-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Oooh, Steve, touche. I would like one the same as now but re-engineered to modern standards, instrument quality, loom quality, and so on. But would I love it? probably not...

However, guys, and this is interesting, none of us has said, "Why not just buy a modern XK8"? Whereas in the 1960s, everyone would have said (on the Bakelite telephone naturally, having waited 7 days for a phone connection to Australia/USA etc etc) "Forget the XK150, buy an E Type". What that tells me is that modern cars have FAR less glamour/appeal/beauty/kerb appeal than the XJS.
Greg
When the XK8 first came out I hated it, specifically as compared to my XJS. However, as time went by, I started to change my attitude towards that model, I guess that I started to look at it for what it was on its own, rather than super imposing my XJS over it and I came to realize
how superior the car really was over the XJS, as a machine in every aspect. And that big wood veneered dash is the best I've ever seen, including Rolls and Bentleys. Then, the so-so later XK design makes those early XK8's look even better. I wouldn't mind to own one along with my XJS, but hey! The XJS would always be the boss around here.

Cheers,

Old 04-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Having read all that I need a drink, oh no, I gave that up.

I would have my '85 as it was AFTER I spent all that time sorting most all of what has been said in here.

It is what it is, and that is an awesome CRUISER, and a traffic stopper in the city, and NOT because the damn thing "failed to proceed".

As Jess mentioned, that GM400 boat anchor would go. A 5 speed ZF of suitable torque spec would sit in there just nicely.

Power in mine was more than I needed.

The early seats, weeeeeell, maybe a touch up here and there.

Rearview issues, WHO CARES where ya been, look out the front, thats the bit that will bite ya at 160KPH.

OH yes, and a LEAPER, like the REAL S Type had. BIG and BOLD, and ANGRY.

Then I will need 2 new legs so I can bend and get in the damn thing, but then if that was possible, I would still have the Red Devil, and all that typing above would be pointless.
Grant remember that Sad Picture I sent of the Radiator Cap off my Merc, I've just found something even Sadder than that!

So get the JD ready and prepare to fall off the Wagon (I'll PM you a Pic.)

Grant Francis (04-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
I think that the modern incarnation of the XJS as a high-performance GT in Coupe or Convertible form is the 5.0 supercharged runout version of the XKR-S.

Therefore, I'm thinking more about all the improvements that were quite feasible and could have happened by the end of the XJS life in 1996 if Jaguar had felt that it was profitable to do so. So, in no particular order:

- compulsory fitment of ZF manual gearboxes on both 4 litre & 6 litre models
- AJ16 supercharged engine fitted in 4 litre models
- lower hood stack when lowered
- separate rear window switches
- cupholders in front part of centre armrest (as fitted on x300)
- standard heated, lumbar adjustment & height adjustable front seats
- straight-through centre exhaust pipes on all models
- compulsory sports suspension on all models
- ability for front centre vents to blow hot air
- twin lights inside the standard ovoid glass units

All possible, all desirable & many already fitted by some owners!

Paul
Hi Paul

I've found plenty of X300 Armrests but they don't appear to have any Cup Holders in?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Aston-style AJ6 headed Jaguar V12, OB, and it's a deal!
Greg
Hi Greg

Are you saying that you can get an Aston Head to fit on the existing V12 power plant?

If so what sort of money are we talking about and what sort of figures (approx) for HP 0-60 and Top Speed?

Old 04-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,107 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Greg

Are you saying that you can get an Aston Head to fit on the existing V12 power plant?

If so what sort of money are we talking about and what sort of figures (approx) for HP 0-60 and Top Speed?

Alan, concentrate! I am saying that two cylinder heads from a Jaguar AJ6 engine, as fitted to all 3.6 litre XJS and other Jaguar saloon cars, will fit straight onto the Jaguar 5.3 litre V12, PROVIDED one of the heads is cut and welded to get the cam drive and the exhaust and intake in the right place, and various other mods that need to be done such as cam drive chains, pistons, etc etc. Hence big money.
But is has been done and the thing makes huge power, because, and only because, the cylinder head on the AJ6 is a far better design, having 4 valves per cylinder, a far better combustion chamber shape, and better induction manifolding etc etc.
I am not repeat not, recommending any Aston bits whatsoever. Just mentioning that the Aston V12 is a good engine because it shares much design similarity with the AJ6 - as does just about every other modern petrol engine with 4 valves per cylinder, twin cams and a pentroof combustion chamber - which is most of them including the Ford Zetec 4 cylionder twin cam and the Ford 2.5 litre V6! This configuration could easily make 450 BHP in an ordinary road-going state of tune.
We are talking 50 or 60 thou GBP possibly 100, plus shipping from Oz, plus somehow getting it into the XJS - hence my desire to re-engineer the front end!
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (04-28-2016), orangeblossom (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

IRS ?? First off for the guy that don't fully work on his XJ-S (not me)! Every try to get the inboard brakes worked on, shop to do it, $price$. Don't forget these cars are over 20 years old, how many Jaguar tech's still work @ the dealer that remember inboard brakes. Second, I THINK or @ least this can be made into a semi hi performance sports car via 5sp, gearing, engine mods, whatever, for this person that likes to "bang a shift", "see what it will do", etc . Yes the four rubber mounts are a weak point. Ten bolt diff's in the XJ-S vs a 12 bolt ,9in Ford, type etc, in a hi horse/torque sense has is no argument at all. Even though a "?few know of 700HP? XJ=S's that hold up fine.......
IMOP the stock Jaguar IRS is designed and meant for the "Blvd Cruiser" type ready to pay big buck for inboard brake work. Driven NORMALLY in acceptable weather the well maintained STOCK IRS & 10 bolt will probably last a long time. A little off the subject, just my answer/opinion to a question
Lawrence

Old 04-27-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Alan, concentrate! I am saying that two cylinder heads from a Jaguar AJ6 engine, as fitted to all 3.6 litre XJS and other Jaguar saloon cars, will fit straight onto the Jaguar 5.3 litre V12, PROVIDED one of the heads is cut and welded to get the cam drive and the exhaust and intake in the right place, and various other mods that need to be done such as cam drive chains, pistons, etc etc. Hence big money.
But is has been done and the thing makes huge power, because, and only because, the cylinder head on the AJ6 is a far better design, having 4 valves per cylinder, a far better combustion chamber shape, and better induction manifolding etc etc.
I am not repeat not, recommending any Aston bits whatsoever. Just mentioning that the Aston V12 is a good engine because it shares much design similarity with the AJ6 - as does just about every other modern petrol engine with 4 valves per cylinder, twin cams and a pentroof combustion chamber - which is most of them including the Ford Zetec 4 cylionder twin cam and the Ford 2.5 litre V6! This configuration could easily make 450 BHP in an ordinary road-going state of tune.
We are talking 50 or 60 thou GBP possibly 100, plus shipping from Oz, plus somehow getting it into the XJS - hence my desire to re-engineer the front end!
Greg
Hi Greg

Got it now!

Just a bit over excited at the prospect of an Aston Martin-esq powered XJS.

It sounds like it would be cheaper to take a V12 out of a 'Scrap Aston' and go from there.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,069 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Every try to get the inboard brakes worked on, shop to do it, $price$.
Rear disks rarely need replacement, but even then it's not particularly difficult or time consuming to do, compared to outboard brakes. Only key piece of equipment is a frame type hoist, but any major shop will have that.

Replacing rear pads is no more difficult than any other car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Greg in France (04-28-2016), orangeblossom (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

It sounds like it would be cheaper to take a V12 out of a 'Scrap Aston' and go from there.
I think the electronics part would be much more difficult than the mechanical part of doing an engine swap. Depends upon how integrated the Aston's electronics are with the rest of the car.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Hi Greg

Lots of interest in that Aston Engine, would one of those drop straight in, I've never actually seen one, so maybe someone would put up a Pic.
JDM Import Aston Martin 5 9 V12 Vanquish Complete Motor Transmission 2001 2005 | eBay
engine and trans with a booboo manifold.... cpu's too
lots of pictures

it looks better undressed
?dap Aston Martin 2012 DBS 6 0L V12 Motor Engine Block and Heads 4G4E 6015 Ad 1 | eBay

it will fit... just look here... have a bucket ready for those with weak stomachs...
http://jalopnik.com/5819712/your-cha...-aston-martin/

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 04-27-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,941 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Hi Paul

I've found plenty of X300 Armrests but they don't appear to have any Cup Holders in?
OB,

You could get them with or without the cupholder section. Fit straight on an XJS with some modification to catch, I believe. I think the same applies to x308 cupholder armrests. Jaguar even have some of them in limited colours new.

Paul

Old 04-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
JDM Import Aston Martin 5 9 V12 Vanquish Complete Motor Transmission 2001 2005 | eBay
engine and trans with a booboo manifold.... cpu's too
lots of pictures

it looks better undressed
?dap Aston Martin 2012 DBS 6 0L V12 Motor Engine Block and Heads 4G4E 6015 Ad 1 | eBay

it will fit... just look here... have a bucket ready for those with weak stomachs...
Your chance to purchase a Ford Mustang with the V12 heart of an Aston Martin
Thanks for posting that, very interesting and it doesn't seem too expensive in the Scheme of things, although I wouldn't know where to start with putting that in.

So as for me I would probably be best to stay with the Engine that I have got.

Though if I ever win the Lottery, then who knows. anything is possible providing you've got enough Cash.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

You could get them with or without the cupholder section. Fit straight on an XJS with some modification to catch, I believe. I think the same applies to x308 cupholder armrests. Jaguar even have some of them in limited colours new.

Paul
Hi Paul

It looks as though I've been finding the ones without Cup Holders, although I did see a new one for over £100!

Maybe I'd better have a look round the Scrapyards.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

It looks as though I've been finding the ones without Cup Holders, although I did see a new one for over £100!

Maybe I'd better have a look round the Scrapyards.
I believe all the X300's in North America came with the cupholder armrest as standard. The mechanism was fairly flimsy, most are broken. That usually means the cupholder part stays open, and won't stay in the latched position. Jaguar did make a repair kit for them.

orangeblossom (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

Got it now!

Just a bit over excited at the prospect of an Aston Martin-esq powered XJS.

A great deal cheaper to buy an Aston V12!
Greg

orangeblossom (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member

IMOP the stock Jaguar IRS is designed and meant for the "Blvd Cruiser" type ready to pay big buck for inboard brake work. Driven NORMALLY in acceptable weather the well maintained STOCK IRS & 10 bolt will probably last a long time.

No good criticising the XJS for not being a Corvette or an muscle car. What you call a boulevard cruiser I call a Grand Tourer, built to do 400 or 500 fast miles in a day and leave the two glamourous occupants feeling fresh, GREAT, comfortable and ready to do it all again the next day!

Ditto the axle, when the car was launched, the best rear axle in the world for that combination of roadholding, grip, comfort, ride, NVH suppression. I agree the "modern dream XJS" of the thread would have something more modern (see my post, for example) but I think to knock the original for not being what it was not intended to be, and not serviced any more by the main dealer is a bit unfair.
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Mac Allan (04-28-2016), orangeblossom (04-28-2016)

Quick Reply: If Jaguar were redesigning the XJS Today what suggestions would you like to make?