XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Intro and first of many silly questions

Old 02-14-2016, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intro and first of many silly questions

Good afternoon, all

Name's Merlyn- nice to meet you all.

So come about Wednesday, I hope to be taking delivery on a 1989 XJS hard top. She will be my second Jaguar, and my first V12. I owned a 1986 XJS several years ago.

I am a bit excited about it.

On to the silly questions!

According to the seller, the XJS was rebuilt in '05, driven 3-5K miles and then parked in '08 in favor of another car. It's been sitting in a garage since.

I'm going to go over it and make sure it wasn't parked due to mechanical issues, but in the interest of brevity, let's assume for a moment that the current owner is telling the truth, and i'm dealing with a freshly rebuilt car that's been sitting for 7-8 years

My usual process for that kinda deal would be fresh belts, fluids, check the brakes for function, drop a capful of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, check the plugs/wires and check the fuel lines. Then check the tires for dry rot and take her for a spin.

My question is- are there any additional, Jaguar specific, steps I should add to my typical "she's been parked a while" checklist?

Merlyn

Old 02-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlyn
According to the seller, the XJS was rebuilt in '05,

To what extent was is "rebuilt" ? That's pretty vague......

My usual process for that kinda deal would be fresh belts, fluids, check the brakes for function, drop a capful of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, check the plugs/wires and check the fuel lines. Then check the tires for dry rot and take her for a spin.

If not included in "...fluids..." I'd anticipate draining the 7-8 year old gasoline, replacing with fresh, and a new fuel filter.

I'd say you're on the right track with your checklist with the understanding that getting her ready-enough for "a spin" ....an initial shakedown drive for a preliminary assessment....isn't the same as a thorough re-commissioning which he car will surely need.

Personally I wouldn't get too carried away will hoses, belts, etc at this point. Fresh gas and engine oil, top-off other fluids...and see what happens. At this point you wanna just make sure the car and engine are fundamentally OK. if it passes muster you can then roll up your sleeves for some in-depth rehabilitation work.

Be particularly mindful of the brakes, of course ...but you know that

My question is- are there any additional, Jaguar specific, steps I should add to my typical "she's been parked a while" checklist?

The list on long and interesting. I'll scratch the surface

An '89 might or might not have Marelli ignition....the last six of the VIN would help narrow that down, sans a visual inspection....which requires special attention, as a faulty Marelli ignition can bring about serious damage and even a fire. if the car feels low on power, stop driving...immediately.

Leaky fuel hoses are another hot spot.....what you have might suffice for the shake-down ride but plan on replacing them.

The cooling system is ultra-critical on a V12 a requires special attention but for your initial spin just make sure it's topped off with coolant. If the temp needle goes high, or starts going up-down, stop driving....NOW!

If the cars seems fundamentally OK and the engine doesn't make a clattering noise on the short shake-down ride you can then get serious about a bumper-to-bumper going-over.

A well sorted V12 XJS is well worth the effort needed to bring it up to snuff :-)

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Merlyn (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Doug!

I'm quizzing her about the rebuild now, but my impression so far is that it's a full top and bottom end "blown engine" sort of deal. Hopefully I'll get an answer today/tonight.

ON the rest- thanks for the tips! I am REALLY looking forward to getting her home, getting her road worthy, and then getting started on getting her better than new.

I'll post some pictures and details as soon as I pick her up!

Merlyn

Originally Posted by Doug
To what extent was is "rebuilt" ? That's pretty vague......

If not included in "...fluids..." I'd anticipate draining the 7-8 year old gasoline, replacing with fresh, and a new fuel filter.

I'd say you're on the right track with your checklist with the understanding that getting her ready-enough for "a spin" ....an initial shakedown drive for a preliminary assessment....isn't the same as a thorough re-commissioning which he car will surely need.

Personally I wouldn't get too carried away will hoses, belts, etc at this point. Fresh gas and engine oil, top-off other fluids...and see what happens. At this point you wanna just make sure the car and engine are fundamentally OK. if it passes muster you can then roll up your sleeves for some in-depth rehabilitation work.

Be particularly mindful of the brakes, of course ...but you know that

The list on long and interesting. I'll scratch the surface

An '89 might or might not have Marelli ignition....the last six of the VIN would help narrow that down, sans a visual inspection....which requires special attention, as a faulty Marelli ignition can bring about serious damage and even a fire. if the car feels low on power, stop driving...immediately.

Leaky fuel hoses are another hot spot.....what you have might suffice for the shake-down ride but plan on replacing them.

The cooling system is ultra-critical on a V12 a requires special attention but for your initial spin just make sure it's topped off with coolant. If the temp needle goes high, or starts going up-down, stop driving....NOW!

If the cars seems fundamentally OK and the engine doesn't make a clattering noise on the short shake-down ride you can then get serious about a bumper-to-bumper going-over.

A well sorted V12 XJS is well worth the effort needed to bring it up to snuff :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 02-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

In one of the sticky threads at the top of this section is an XJS buyers guide that might be helpful....although you already know much of it, I reckon, since you've been an XJS owner previously

Cheers
DD

Old 02-14-2016, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Merlyn

One of my V12 XJS's sat in my Garage for 14 years, without being turned over and was going to do all the stuff you said, except that it was so close to the wall, that I was unable to get round it.

Which didn't leave much alternative but to put a battery on and turn the Key, which took me about half an hour just to pluck up the Courage, in case it went 'Bang!'

She started on the button, just like I had been using her every day, so now I start her every two weeks just as a matter of course.

It took about 10 seconds for the Oil pressure light to go out but waiting for that to happen, felt more like 10 years, after which I just drove her out of the garage.

One thing to watch out for are Stuck Callipers, as having just passed the MOT the following day a Calliper stuck, the pedal went down to the floor and I lost all the brakes, then having run up on a nearby grass verge, there was white Smoke everywhere and She nearly burst into flames.

Just another day at the office, if you drive an XJS, so in case I forget to mention it get a fire extinguisher and do lots of short trips within walking distance of home.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 02-14-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:28 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Hi Merlyn. Welcome to the forum.
Let me know if you would like a hand with your new acquisition. I have a small shop in Lakewood where I take care of my XJS's and would be happy to help you with your '89.
Mark