Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about seat control module removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Question about seat control module removal

Hello,
I have an issue with the recline mechanism on the 2002 XKR that I am purchasing and have been researching the potential problem.
It looks like it could possibly be an issue with the seat control module.
In order to test this, I have read that swapping the module from the other seat may diagnose whether this is the problem. So I have just a few questions on the procedure:
1. Do I need to remove the seat(s) to swap the control module?
2. Do I need to disconnect the battery before removing the seat control modules?

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Just raise the seat as high as possible and undo the two bolts which retain the module.

It is always a good idea to disconnect the battery when plugging and unplugging electronic modules in the vehicle to reduce the chances of electronic damage. Note that you will need to reset the windows after reconnecting the battery.

It is very likely your problem is a broken printed circuit trace at the edge of the circuit board. Often it is a hairline break and you need a 10x loupe to see it.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-27-2016 at 08:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
stingray71 (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray71
I have an issue with the recline mechanism on the 2002 XKR. It looks like it could possibly be an issue with the seat control module.

Do I need to remove the seat(s) to swap the control module?
You are right, most likely an issue with the seat control module. Most likely fixable, too. Typically, the board rubs against the hard plastic case and wears out. This is resolved by soldering bypass wires. Lots of us have repaired modules in our car.

The module can be removed with basic hand tools. There are 2 10mm nuts, one on each side of the module. The module is under the seat cushion, very far forward. It's "right there", a hard plastic box in battleship grey. Once the nuts are removed (technically, one can be left in place once loosened as the module bracket has slots), the module is loose, and the electrical connectors from the back need to be removed. They are the "modern" connectors that stay in place with a tab. Make sure you depress the tab to pull the connectors back. I would not use any tool for this.

In case you find yourself with a badly broken control module cover, they are available from Jaguar, and are somehow very inexpensive.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
stingray71 (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the fast response. I found the links to the DIY repairs to the circuit board if this is the problem.
I notice that you are located in Arlington. Do you have a local shop that you use and recommend?
I try to do as much maintenance and repair on my own to cut costs and I (usually) enjoy working on cars. I am totally new to Jaguars, and this forum has been very helpful while researching during the process of finding an XKR.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 AM

Thanks fmertz.
I hope to repair (instead of replace) if this is the actual problem. Since this is a 2002, I've seen that there can be programming issues if replacing with another unit as with the PECUS D error in this attachment.seat module programming error.pdf

Old 01-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray71
Thanks for the fast response. I found the links to the DIY repairs to the circuit board if this is the problem.
I notice that you are located in Arlington. Do you have a local shop that you use and recommend?
I try to do as much maintenance and repair on my own to cut costs and I (usually) enjoy working on cars. I am totally new to Jaguars, and this forum has been very helpful while researching during the process of finding an XKR.
Top Line Jaguar in Alexandria, London Auto in Falls Church and English Auto in Odenton MD are all good indies. The dealers in the area are capable, but will drain your wallet in a hurry.

None of the above will do circuit board level repair on a module however. Contact me on my website below, and I would be happy to fix it for you in a few minutes at a mutually agreeable time if you come by on a weekend.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the offer!
I am planning on picking up the car this weekend, so it will be a few weeks before I will get a chance to diagnose it (depending on weather). If it turns out to be the problem, I'll probably take you up on that.