XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jags with sunroofs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Jags with sunroofs.

ive never seen an XJS with a sunroof. ive never likes sunroofs either. the one im looking to buy has got one.
my personal experience with domestic cars is that the regulator generally breaks, they leak etc etc. bad news bears.

what is the JF's opinion on the Sunroof XJS?

also, the speedo, windscreen wipers, and fuel guage doent work in this old thing. anyone know what the fix is?

Last edited by M90power; 01-29-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 87 XJS has a SKY-TOP sunroof. I found the brand name on the handle for the sliding headliner cover and also on a tag, on the frame, with the sunroof open. A Google search to find out that they are out of business but parts somewhat available. Many have been installed in Jags and other cars since the 60's. I have used it a couple of times.
I was afraid it would leak too. I found that it has a trough on both sides with a couple of drain tubes, each. I left it out in the rain on day and expected to find the interior wet, but was surprised when I opened the door and all was dry. This didn't last long though..I left the house and when I came to a stop sign, all hell broke loose. The water in the troughs had not drained out of the trough/tubes and was still there. I am guessing about a quart on each side dumped on my head and the passenger seat when I stopped. I'm talking a lot of water.
It didn't take me long to put...cleaning out the drain tubes on my to-do list...top priority. I had to return home to change clothes.
Other than that, it's fine...I guess.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

where do they drain to?

Old 01-29-2012, 05:17 PM

Good question...I read the drain tubes go down the four roor pillars...two front and two rear. Mine don't hold water anymore but I haven't seen any hit the ground either..but I guess the ground is already wet from the rain. I figure it's working and not hitting my head anymore, what more do I need to know?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

lol, i hate sunroofs.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by M90power
ive never seen an XJS with a sunroof. ive never likes sunroofs either. the one im looking to buy has got one.
my personal experience with domestic cars is that the regulator generally breaks, they leak etc etc. bad news bears.

what is the JF's opinion on the Sunroof XJS?

I use mine once a year to make sure it works. Otherwise, phfftttt

Of the few XJSs you'll find with sunroofs most will be aftermarket/dealer installed.

The Jaguar parts catalog shows official sunroof parts for pre-facelift car but I *think* those s/roofs were actually port installed kits. Not sure. In any case factory installed s/roofs are rare, if they even exist.

I might be that the facelift cars had facory installed sunroofs.

also, the speedo, windscreen wipers, and fuel guage doent work in this old thing. anyone know what the fix is?
Probably three different fixes. Lots of possibilities. I'd make separate postings for each. Fuses and connections are a good place to start

Cheers
DD

Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I like mine...it was on the car when I got it. I use it all the time, it's quieter than having the windows open on nice days when I want fresh air. If I was any taller though it wouldn't work. I would not put one in the car, but if it is there, and works, I wouldn't (didn't) dismiss a nice car because of it.
Dave

Old 01-31-2012, 10:37 PM
RRT
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Leaks, problems, loss of what little headroom there is on the XJ-S.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by RRT
Leaks, problems, loss of what little headroom there is on the XJ-S.
I am not so sure there is a loss of headroom. My Sky-Top unit is only a couple of inchs thick and the sliding headliner cover, slides above the original headliner. How thick is the original roof? It would have to be close to a couple of inchs to include any support, I would think.
Anyone have an idea?

Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I've always liked sunroofs.
When I was looking for my XJS, I wanted a convertible but everyone I found was in sketchy shape. Then I found a coupe with a factory sunroof ( it was listed on the original factory sticker for 1000 extra) but that car was also in bad shape.
Finally I found a great condition 1988 XJS coupe.
Since I miss the open car feel I originally wanted, I've decided to have a sunroof installed. The original factory unit was supplied to jaguar by wabosto (spelling?) and the one I found is by the same maker (still in business). The new sunroof is light years ahead of the 80's version but basically the same exact look.
It amazes me that it costs 1200.00 installed and warranted, only 200 more than 1988 prices!!
The installer says the new unit will barely affect the headliner. Probably less than one inch.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

IMHO, Convertibles Good, FHC Good, Sunroofs not so good.

Just something else to go wrong.

You remind me that I have one in my DD, I always forget to use it.

Are you going for the full Webasto?

Way back, I had one in a Rover P6, now that was one car I never never should have sold. (Idiot was I)

Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 87XJSCoupe
How thick is the original roof? It would have to be close to a couple of inchs to include any support, I would think.
Anyone have an idea?
The original headliner is fabric over 1/8" foam, glued to about a 1/8" thick fibrous headliner shell. So, it's only about 1/4" thick.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Translator
IMHO, Convertibles Good, FHC Good, Sunroofs not so good.

Just something else to go wrong.

You remind me that I have one in my DD, I always forget to use it.

Are you going for the full Webasto?

Way back, I had one in a Rover P6, now that was one car I never never should have sold. (Idiot was I)
I have a 2010 xf and use the sunroof just about every day, weather permitting!
Although I HATE the mesh wind deflector?!?! What were they thinking. I've never seen any thing but metal deflectors. This mesh thing makes more sound with the wind rushing through. And takes constant cleaning as it acts like a screen to catch bugs!!
As I plan on keeping the xjs for a long time, I really want the open roof option. And if I'm putting in a sunroof, I'd like to go as factory as possible. Only thing is if I go with a Webasto, the switch has to go on headliner. Not on center console.

Last edited by philhef; 09-22-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagZilla
The original headliner is fabric over 1/8" foam, glued to about a 1/8" thick fibrous headliner shell. So, it's only about 1/4" thick.
I've looked into that and it seems there's space between the shell and roof panel. Not much but enough to facilitate the sunroof. It will take away a bit of headroom but, for me, it's worth it.
As I've said, I plan on keeping this car for a long time and since I use my XF sunroof a lot, I know I'll use the one on my XJS.
And after looking at countless convertables, I'd miss the buttresses too much. They harken back to the older ferrari and Lamborghini styles from the 70's and 80's.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

If it is an aftermarket roof and it does not work you will most likely not find parts for it. Webasto is still in business. Most of the others are gone. Add on sunroofs were a big business in the 80s into the early 90s. The 80s and 90s were a popular time for dealers to sell rustproofing, SimCon tops, sunroofs and alarms that did nothing but go off constantly. The 90s started the remote starter craze and most cars were available with a factory sunroof by then so the dealership F&I dept found new ways to make money.

I have seen obsolete sunroofs that need parts to stop leaking be replaced. The installer finds a larger model and saws a bigger hole and installs a new one.

I would steer clear of an aftermarket sunroof car unless it is for parts.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

I remember those days well, Greg.

Sales departments sending cars out for all sorts of aftermarket "stuff" while we in service grimaced, knowing full well the 3-5-8 years down the road some repair shop, possibly us, would be struggling to find replacement parts or be spending hours unravelling the mysteries of someone else's ham-handed installation.

I could write a book of horror stories. I'm sure you could as well :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I remember those days well, Greg.

Sales departments sending cars out for all sorts of aftermarket "stuff" while we in service grimaced, knowing full well the 3-5-8 years down the road some repair shop, possibly us, would be struggling to find replacement parts or be spending hours unravelling the mysteries of someone else's ham-handed installation.

I could write a book of horror stories. I'm sure you could as well :-)

Cheers
DD
Do I have stories to tell.

I always thought a car dealer would make a great sitcom. Although unless you worked in one you probably would not believe any of the story lines.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Getting back to sunroofs....

I've never cared for 'em so I never use mine. However, I do try to open/close it from time to time just to keep the mechanicals exercised. It dawns on me, though, that I can't remember the last tme I did so. Now I'm afraid to try ! There's some fragile gadget used in the X300 sunroofs that always breaks.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The Sky-Top is the "factory" sunroof, don't think we ever figured out if they were actually factory or dealer installed. I have one in my parts car. I'd sell it off if I found a way to ship a car roof. I've has cars with sunroofs with mixed results but I just never got it - it's nowhere near a convertible experience but has all the trappings of wind noise and sun blindness. Maybe it's just me.

M90, all the things you mention have wires on them, you know...and your electrical skills are somewhat in doubt given the fact that you're trying to stick a GM motor in place of a perfectly good Jag V12 because of a wiring issue...Camaros have their place too...

Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

From what I've been able to find out, the Webasto sunroof was the factory offered unit. When I talked to a former employee that was around during that time, Webasto actually set up an area on the premise and installed them durring the assembly process. They also did this at BMW and Mercedes according to Webasto home office.

THe unit I'm looking at is a brand new unit with new mechanics and a lifetime warranty. I've seen several of the shops installations, and they look totally factory and work like silk. He has an 80's mercedes in right now and once it's installed, I'm going to take a look at it also. THis shop has installed hundreds of sunroofs and had no issues that I can find. There are several other shops that are cheaper, but I've found several bad reviews on all of them.

Quick Reply: Jags with sunroofs.