XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jump starting Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

I think this is jumping the gun a little here.
First, you're asking "Do you still think it's a good idea to keep a Portable Jump Start Power Pack in the Boot/Trunk of your XJS or Your Home or Garage/Shop?"[I] and then you state "I was charging the Battery of my Hedge Cutter in the Kitchen and the Charger that comes with it...." . What does a jump start pack have to do with charging the battery of your hedge cutter? Totally different devices with uncommon parts inside. You're talking apples and oranges there.

Also, you state: "especially on an XJS because with many Power Packs, you are connecting 'Hot Leads' to an already discharged battery".. And, how is that "especially XJS already discharged battery" different from other cars discharged batteries? I did not know that..

Besides, a hedge cutter and its charger form a lighter duty device and have absolutely nothing that even closely resembles a car lead acid battery and a modern jump starter with built in, non-spillable and re-chargeable lead acid battery. BTW, chargers do not have a battery inside, they don't need it.... although it is my understanding that some of the later power packs jump starters feature a battery charger, as well. Man, that'll be nice...like have your cake and eat it, too.

Either your hedge cutter or its charger simply failed in an ugly fashion and I'm sorry that this happened to you inside your house, but it is not reason to scare away from using or storing the car battery chargers and/or jump starter packs that are so popular today because they are convenient and prove to work just fine and safe, as I don't hear routine explosions stories from neither shops nor individuals using them.

It doesn't matter how ugly that posted picture looks because it has nothing to do with the heavy duty car battery handling devices used today by millions. I just want to clarify this issue because your statements may unfairly convince fellow members here not to consider acquiring tools/devices that clearly have nothing to do with your unfortunate experience. Myself, I've been using them for a good while and with no incidents of any kind and I certainly know many other enthusiasts who use them successfully.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ditto!!!!

1. Batteries of differing design.

2. A simple transformer, no more, no less.

Lithium Ione, or merely a simple lead acid or NH/MH?

Carl

Old 02-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Research and thinking required....