XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Kirby book in .mobi format for Kindle

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Kirby book in .mobi format for Kindle

Yesterday, while screwing around on google looking at stuff for the kindle, I came across this:

calibre - E-book management

It's some software used for formatting e-books for the kindle. I had originally downloaded it to use as a news-fetcher, it gets the text from different newspaper websites, formats them to work on the kindle and then emails the files to you. I haven't been able to get that to work, yet.....however,

One of the things I disliked about Kirby's book; "Experience in a Book" was that it was in PDF format. I don't have a kindle, I use the kindle app on my android. Been a long time, but I seem to remember that the kindle would display the pages, but it would not change the word-wrap. So, if you zoomed in enough to read the text, you had to pan the page back and forth to read it. Zoom out to get all the text on the screen and you needed to bring a microscope with you to read it. Maybe it's better on a real live big kindle, but it sucks on my phone.

So, since this bit-o-kit was supposed to reformat PDF files to .mobi files, I ran Kirby's book through it. Took all of yesterday afternoon and overnight to to it, but I have an old Pentium III computer here in the garage....mileage may vary with newer hardware.

Loaded the resulting file into my kindle folder on my android and it seems to work pretty good so far. The clickable table of contents are a bit of a mess, only shows the page numbers. Magnifying and word-wrap seem to work as they should.

Dunno the legalities of sharing the file. Don't want to go stomping all over someones toes by emailing it to others or (gasp!) posting it for download. But, I don't think there'd be much harm in pointing folks to the bit-o-kit used to format it.

calibre - E-book management

howlinowl

Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just tried the word search, works too.

howlinowl

Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Why not contact Kirby and send him the .mobi file? If he wants to share it he will.