XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

At Last - My XJS.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ooh, ooh - just thought of a question that I keep forgetting to ask....
My interior is grey leather with grey carpets.... should the roof liner and panels be beige? want to change them to grey? is there anywhere that i can get the original color combination for the interior?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice car.

If the headlining is not sagging then maybe wait unitl it is!!
Or get some fabric spray to recolour it.

If it's sagging then material is available from the likes of Woolies-trim but the biscuit or board is fragile and maybe beyond repair. In which case there are glass fibre replacements on ebay AFAIK in the correct colours, albeit expensive.
The best approach may be to remove the headlining, strip off the material and see what the condition of the biscuit is.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,766 Likes on 7,107 Posts

Originally Posted by mefoote
ooh, ooh - just thought of a question that I keep forgetting to ask....
My interior is grey leather with grey carpets.... should the roof liner and panels be beige? want to change them to grey? is there anywhere that i can get the original color combination for the interior?

It's in the parts catalogs.

My "January 1987-on" XJS catalog says that Savile Grey Leather interior (code LDY) should have a "Limestone" (code ND) headlining and cantrails, "doeskin" (code XE) A-B pillars and visors, "smoke grey" (Code XA) carpets.

Limestone is a very bland doesn't-conflict-with-anything color....sorta light grey/light tan, hard to describe. I've seen only a very few 80s vintage Jags with anything different and on those I recall the color being a bit heavier towards "grey" than tan/beige. Can't swear to that, though

Cheers
DD

Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 AM

Headlining already out, but the foam back and biscuit seems to be secure enough (not taking it out yet until I get a couple of days off). On reflection, thik I will keep the limestone / lighter linings and rails - adds a bit of contrast.
This weekends jobs - rheostat re-wire. switchgear check and clean. Bushings and bearing checks..... oh and a bloody good polish....

Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Okay, headliner done - to a fashion..

Problem. notcied that the fuse for instrument binnacle and indicator lighting (gear shift, cigar lighter etc) blowing every time I turn the lights on. Have tried connected to the rheostat and completely disconnected. No go.

One other thing (scared the bejesus outta me) - since having the car I havce only trundled around so decided today to put foot down.. Man does she shift, along with clouds of smoke!!... Temp went slightly higher than N, but now back to normal. Tried again an hour or so later, no smoke.... Is this what they call an italian tune? The car has been sitting for 8 months to the best of my knowledge before I bought it.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:55 AM

I might suggest adding the best gas you can find to the tank along with a can of Sea Foam fuel treatment. Once the tank is used, replace the plugs with Bosch Platinum +2. I had success with this formula.

Good Luck!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanks Denver,

Added fuel treatment and seems already to be running better.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Italian tuneup - I'll paraphrase the owner's manual as I don't have it in front of me:

After extended periods of low speed driving, at high performance levels, you may experience a brief period of detonation, along with blue smoke from the exhaust. This is normal as carbon deposits are being burned from the valves.

Something very close to that. So yeah, drive it like you stole it :-)

Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the advice - engine alreaqdy running a lot better and no smoke on start up.
Not really had the chance to abuse the big cat yet as my confidence in the steering isn't great (see first post) - however parts are ordered - along with bushing removal tool so thats a job for the weekend!