XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Lets Look into the Crystal Ball - 2015 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Lets Look into the Crystal Ball - 2015 XJS

We all know of car models that have been built for many years (e.g Mustang, Corvette, Camaro etc). Most of these car have gone through generational changes to their styling. Each generation is usually different enough from the previous design that anyone can tell the difference.

The XJS was built for 20 years but never experienced a generation change. The Facelift models made some minor changes but most average people would barely recognize the difference between a 1976 and a 1996.

So here is my question...assuming that Jaguar continued to build the XJS and created a new generation design, what would a 2015 XJS look like?

Would the coupes still retain the flying buttress?
Would the styling become more angular and sporty like a 2015 Corvette?
Would it (God forbid) become a 4-door?
Would the chrome be gone?

In addition to everyone's comments I'm hoping that someone from the forum who has artistic/computer skills could provide a picture of what they imagine a 2015 XJS would look like.

Lets hear your thoughts.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:54 PM

Some might suggest that the XK8 was the next XJS but I think I would disagree.

To my eye the XJ8 is more a successor to the E-type. I'd expect a modern XJS to be a bit more square in shape.

Jaguar is usually a bit conservative when it comes to styling so I would not expect anything wild.

I'm imagining a mix of Jaguar and Maserati. (Astin-Martin styling is to rounded)

Mark

Old 07-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Safari
We all know of car models that have been built for many years (e.g Mustang, Corvette, Camaro etc). Most of these car have gone through generational changes to their styling. Each generation is usually different enough from the previous design that anyone can tell the difference.

The XJS was built for 20 years but never experienced a generation change. The Facelift models made some minor changes but most average people would barely recognize the difference between a 1976 and a 1996.

So here is my question...assuming that Jaguar continued to build the XJS and created a new generation design, what would a 2015 XJS look like?

Would the coupes still retain the flying buttress?
Would the styling become more angular and sporty like a 2015 Corvette?
Would it (God forbid) become a 4-door?
Would the chrome be gone?

In addition to everyone's comments I'm hoping that someone from the forum who has artistic/computer skills could provide a picture of what they imagine a 2015 XJS would look like.

Lets hear your thoughts.

Mark

This XJ two door concept was neat / I'd own in a heartbeat.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oJrwc_ywGv...guar-B99-2.JPG

I think it did solider on exactly on theme with the XK, and being the floor pan is a variation on the XJS and the DB7 (the former of which was to be the replacement for the XJS but Ford decided the design was Aston not Jaguar as to not interfere with internal competition).

The last gen XK is a gorgeous car, does everything it should in direct lineage with the XJS, save the exotic motor option.

When / if the XK either comes back or is replaced I expect great things..

I don't believe X100 XK8's will ever be collectable however. The XJS I think is going to surprise the market, and untouched convertibles / early coupes will prevail.

My two sense.

Jeff

Flint Ironstag (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

That Bertone concept is truly fantastic. I wonder what the designer could do with an XJS!

The buttresses and orange segment rear window would HAVE to stay, along with the low, sleek profile, hood, high belt line and narrow windows. Keep the general shape of the original tail lights, too.

I could see the headlights with something similar to the Bertone concept linked above.

No photoshop experts here want to give it a go?

When I have a few minutes I'll see if I can find out who did the Bertone concept and ask them if they have any XJS sketches to share.

Last edited by Flint Ironstag; 07-17-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Safari
[...]
Would the chrome be gone?[...]
Mark
Based on the direction of other High End makers, not only would the chrome be gone, it would be replaced by "chrome foil" that lasts about 3 years before it blisters and starts to fall off revealing cheap ugly plastic components underneath.

There *might* be leather, but it would be only Inserts in the center of the seats, and of inferior quality compared to Yesteryear; with more plastic than wood, digital gauges and an all around cheap imitation feel about it.

In short, it would be Ruined!
(';')

Flint Ironstag (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Well in my mind if the XJS were to be released today as a new model it would have to retain the low wide stance of the original with the long hood. What comes to mind is the look of the new Mercedes-AMG GT S.

To be honest I have never really given a great deal of thought to what a modern XJS would look like but after seeing how cool the new E-type Growler looks I must admit it does make me wonder what could be done with a modern XJS look. Just never know about these retro cars as the newer T-bird retro just did not hit all the bells for me.

Does seem like in general the big GT cars are getting scaled down so not quite sure how that would translate with a XJS redo. I guess I am afraid it would be like the mid 80's Grand Prix compared to the early 70's Grand Prix look-they share the name plate and that is about it.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Based on the direction of other High End makers, not only would the chrome be gone, it would be replaced by "chrome foil" that lasts about 3 years before it blisters and starts to fall off revealing cheap ugly plastic components underneath.

There *might* be leather, but it would be only Inserts in the center of the seats, and of inferior quality compared to Yesteryear; with more plastic than wood, digital gauges and an all around cheap imitation feel about it.

(';')
Sadly this could be the case in order to keep costs down. Seems like you have to go upwards of $200k to get the best, no compromise materials these days. Although I have to say Mercedes is consistently impressive with fit, finish, and performance in the S, SL, & CL series (think twin turbo V12 and every single conceivable amenity in all of these). Jaguar's current lineup looks okay, but strip the badging and you'd be hard pressed to identify any of them as a Jaguar - not distinctive at all. They should have hired Aston Martin's designer.

If someone were to modernize the XJS, I would recommend keeping the current proportions, going with a twin turbo V12, and losing the back seats. Oh, and do something with the ungainly bumpers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Flint Ironstag:
Bc xj (07-19-2015), LnrB (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB

(';')
+1

LnrB (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
They should have hired Aston Martin's designer.
They did, Ian Callum designed the BD7 (built on the XJS platform) and the Vanquish some years ago.

Jaguar needs to survive and prosper, so it has to pop out the jelly beans that appeal to the masses.

The new cars are bloody fantastic, but to your point, they have few if any curves that date back to the day (save the F-Type - it has some neat throwback). Part of that is on purpose I'd imagine, as timeless goes to frumpy pretty quick if you don't have a modern edge.

It's a funny argument when you think about it as the XJS design is (was) about as far as away from a traditional Jaguar design as a VW beetle would have been.

Jeff

Old 07-19-2015, 01:10 AM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

It just so happens that I'm a car design student, and this is a challenge I would LOVE to take on. I'll try to work up some sketch proposals tomorrow, you all can give me feedback when I've got 'em finished and then I'll do a digital or vellum rendering of my final direction.

The following 5 users liked this post by Dymaxxion:
ccfulton (07-19-2015), Dave1109971 (07-19-2015), Flint Ironstag (07-19-2015), LuvmyXJS' (07-19-2015), Paul_59 (10-29-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dymaxxion
It just so happens that I'm a car design student, and this is a challenge I would LOVE to take on. I'll try to work up some sketch proposals tomorrow, you all can give me feedback when I've got 'em finished and then I'll do a digital or vellum rendering of my final direction.
Oh hell yes Looking forward to seeing them!

Old 07-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Keep the buttresses. It's what makes the XJS an XJS

Old 07-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dymaxxion
Excellent! I was hoping that someone with the right skills would take a shot at this.

I do have an ulterior motive. If I see a design that looks promising then I'm going to build it!

Something to keep in mind...if I was to build it it would be easier to start with an existing XJS. Keep the wheelbase and chassis unmodified. Just change the skin.

The other option is a completely new car with no design limits. It would take much more time to build but would be worth it to achieve the style.

Two other things to include...should have both a coupe and convertible model (I would build the convertible first) and must have room for a V12!

Hummm....just thinking....if I had to build a new chassis then I think I would forget about an IC engine and go with full electric power. A modern Jag should have modern propulsion.

Good luck!

Mark

Flint Ironstag (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not aware of an exotic electric equivalent to a V12. Flux capacitor maybe? Go twin turbo V12!!! Hell, stick a Mercedes drivetrain in it, but lose the back seats, and make it a transaxle design for better weight distribution.

Agreed 100% the buttresses MUST be kept!

Update the headlights & tail lights, make the glass flush, maybe round out the wheel well openings. I don't know...

Dymaxxion, you might check out the Porsche 928 as a timeless design. Had Porsche continued its evolution, I bet today it would definitely be identifiable with its '78 forebear.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:54 PM

Bear with me as I'm afraid I'm having difficulties with my scanner. I have several convertible sketch proposals ready, but only one really captures the feeling of an XJS in my opinion. Will upload as soon as possible and you all can give me feedback/tell me which one I should develop further and render. I tried to keep them all production ready and in the same proportions/packaging as the XJS.

Last edited by Dymaxxion; 07-19-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:44 AM

Got a few scanned in. The first one is the proposal I'm most fond of. My understanding was that you were looking for an updated XJS, not just a modern Jaguar Grand Tourer. Hope I did it justice. Coupes are to follow. Let me know which direction to develop further, or if you folks would rather I just take another crack at it in general. I've included an image of a facelift convertible for side-by-side comparison purposes. I figured I'd pull most of my inspiration from facelift cars as they indicate the direction the XJS was taking. Please keep in mind that these are just very rough preliminary sketches and that the direction that is selected will be more refined.

Proposal 1

Proposal 2

Proposal 3

Last edited by Dymaxxion; 07-20-2015 at 01:51 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dymaxxion:
Dave1109971 (07-21-2015), Flint Ironstag (07-20-2015), paulyling (08-15-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member

Holy cow! You nailed the grille and bonnet above the headlights PERFECTLY in the first one. From the windshield back reminds me of the new BMW 6 series convertible. Not a bad thing, but not distinctively XJS.

Bring on the coupes!!! Can't wait to see the buttress and tail light treatment. For ****'s Sake, don't base it on the facelift models!

[edit] Also loving the shortened overhangs.

[edit] and no leaper

Last edited by Flint Ironstag; 07-20-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:14 AM

Thank you! The reason the A-Pillar back doesn't particularly scream XJS to you is because modern cars without exaggerated rear shoulders (and some with) have "Wedgy" Rising belt lines, and full rear wheel arches. If I'd left the XJS' original belt line angle the deign would look very dated. The light catcher above the rocker takes some of the visual weight out of the car. I'll probably give skirting the rear wheel a shot, but leaving the suggestion of a round opening, as well s extending the rear overhang. The coupes will follow after a direction has been established. Don't worry, I have big plans for the buttresses

Flint Ironstag (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 AM

I too like #1 very much. Is that a leaper on the hood? That will have to go!

I look forward to seeing your ideas for the rear end and the tail lights.

Looking good!

Mark

paulyling (08-15-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I really like the first drawing also. Man that leaper looks great on the hood. Cannot wait to see the coupe version also.

Don't forget to shows us two rear versions with the older out dated tail lamps and the newer more modern face lift tail lamps which will really cap off the look of this soon to be released sleek " Big Cat ".

I cannot wait to see the first drawing in color-red of course!!!!

Spikepaga (07-26-2015)

Quick Reply: Lets Look into the Crystal Ball - 2015 XJS