XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Looking for Drivers Handbook - '89 XJS Conv.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Looking for Drivers Handbook - '89 XJS Conv.

I'm looking for a copy of the Drivers Handbook/Owners Manual for a 1989 XJS Convertible, 5.3L V12.

It can be an original manual, a reprint, a photocopy or scanned and converted into a PDF file. Any configuration is ok.

I'm mostly just looking for the information contained in the manual so a copy that can be emailed to me would be fine.

Please contact me if you can offer a copy.

Thank you!
Mark

Also, If you have an '89 with its original literature please post some pictures of the books and portfolio. All of it was missing from my car so I need to know what it all looks like so I know what to search for.

Last edited by Safari; 10-27-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:23 AM

I could really use the pages that show the operation of the switches (especially the lights) and the heating/AC controls.

I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks!
Mark

Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts
Wink

Lights:
  • Turn rotary switch on LHS of steering wheel one click clockwise for side (parking) lights
  • Turn switch one more for headlights. Pulling LHS stalk to you dips and gives main beam.
  • Pulling LHS stalk flashes headlights when lights turned off
  • Rear fog guard lights, turn switch one more click clockwise. This will automatically force main beams to dip and the column stalk will not put them up to main beam as long as the rear guards are selected on the rorary switch. On some models you have to push in or pull out the rotary switch to get the rear guard lights. A little fiddling in a closed garage will confirm exactly your switch's mode.
Aircon:
  • There are two rotary controls, one each side of the radio. The LHS one sets the required cabin temp and can (in theory) be set and forgotten, as the system should hold the selected temp automatically
  • You have the Delaniar mark III sytem. On this system the LHS rotaary control can be pulled out one click. In this mode it goes to full cooling and the automatic temp control is over-ridden.
  • The RHS control is as follows: pointing to 6 o clock: system off, no fresh air no heating no cooling, no circulation at all. 8 o clock low fan speed only, otherwise system works as if automatic selected. 9 o clock full automatic mode, fans controlled by the system, temp controlled by the system unless LHS contiorl pulled out. 10 o clock, high fan speed only but system otherwise runs in automatic mode. 12 o clock, full demist mode, all heat and aircon at highest fan speed goes to demister slot.
  • The 'slider' control above the radio alters the balance of heat /cold going to the dashboard vents. Towards blue arrow gives more cooler air to dash vents and less to footwells, to twards red arrow the opposite.
If your system does not do some of these things it is because it needs a bit of fettling. Not unusual, but the system does work very well when performing as it should and holds the selected temp very well too. The aircon is always runnign when the system is in any mode except off. The unit works by blending cooled and warm air on a continuous basis. It is impossible to have uncooled/unheated fresh air coming into the car from the aircon/heater unit. (Windows are provided for this )

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
gregh (10-28-2012), Safari (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

This is odd. There is no owner's information at topix. However I am directed to Jaguar Heritage. The Jaguar Heritage Trust (which doesn't have anything that new) or Untitled Page (which doesn't have anything that old).

A quick check on ebay yields Jaguar XJS Owners Handbook | eBay.

I did a quick check on the web, but did not see a pdf.

However, there is this. Not exactly what you were looking for, but no XJS owner should be without it.
Kirby Palm's Jaguar XJ-S Help Book

Old 10-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Hi Greg,
Thank you for the info!

What does the manual say for the operation of the two light switches to the right of the Trip Computer? I know one is a Map Light. What is the other?

Mark

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Lights:
  • Turn rotary switch on LHS of steering wheel one click clockwise for side (parking) lights
  • Turn switch one more for headlights. Pulling LHS stalk to you dips and gives main beam.
  • Pulling LHS stalk flashes headlights when lights turned off
  • Rear fog guard lights, turn switch one more click clockwise. This will automatically force main beams to dip and the column stalk will not put them up to main beam as long as the rear guards are selected on the rorary switch. On some models you have to push in or pull out the rotary switch to get the rear guard lights. A little fiddling in a closed garage will confirm exactly your switch's mode.
Aircon:
  • There are two rotary controls, one each side of the radio. The LHS one sets the required cabin temp and can (in theory) be set and forgotten, as the system should hold the selected temp automatically
  • You have the Delaniar mark III sytem. On this system the LHS rotaary control can be pulled out one click. In this mode it goes to full cooling and the automatic temp control is over-ridden.
  • The RHS control is as follows: pointing to 6 o clock: system off, no fresh air no heating no cooling, no circulation at all. 8 o clock low fan speed only, otherwise system works as if automatic selected. 9 o clock full automatic mode, fans controlled by the system, temp controlled by the system unless LHS contiorl pulled out. 10 o clock, high fan speed only but system otherwise runs in automatic mode. 12 o clock, full demist mode, all heat and aircon at highest fan speed goes to demister slot.
  • The 'slider' control above the radio alters the balance of heat /cold going to the dashboard vents. Towards blue arrow gives more cooler air to dash vents and less to footwells, to twards red arrow the opposite.
If your system does not do some of these things it is because it needs a bit of fettling. Not unusual, but the system does work very well when performing as it should and holds the selected temp very well too. The aircon is always runnign when the system is in any mode except off. The unit works by blending cooled and warm air on a continuous basis. It is impossible to have uncooled/unheated fresh air coming into the car from the aircon/heater unit. (Windows are provided for this )

Old 10-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Safari
What does the manual say for the operation of the two light switches to the right of the Trip Computer? I know one is a Map Light. What is the other?
The light switches control the oblong interior lights, one each side of the back seat, on the C pilllar and one each side of the lower dash by each door.

The interior lights should work as follows:
  • Door open, all four on
  • Door closed, stay on for a bit then go off
  • Door closed, using switches: one switch turns on and off the two rear lights. The other switch turns on the passenger side light only (at least if the engine is running, to prevent any driver dazzle - not very likely!)
  • Interior light by rear view mirror: this swivels on an 'across the car' axis. One position always off, another position always on, third position comes on wth the doors opening, but has no delay when they close.

The following users liked this post:
Safari (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member

Here we are, chap, hit the paypal and you're off! Correct year and everything:

jaguar xjs owners handbook | eBay

Greg

The following users liked this post:
Safari (10-29-2012)