XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Low Washer Fluid Warning, Crooked Wiper Grill, Chugging Sound

Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Low Washer Fluid Warning, Crooked Wiper Grill, Chugging Sound

Finally got my beautiful XJ-S a few weeks ago ('91 XJS Classic Collection Coupe, 98K), there's a story behind it (of course) which I'll share in another post.

For now...I've exorcised all gremlins from this car (thanks to this forum) except for three:

1 - The dashboard Low Washer Reservoir warning light won't go out, even though I have filled it repeatedly. Guessing a stuck or corroded sensor. Is there something I can flush the system with to fix, or am I looking at pulling the sensor (or just removing the warning bulb)? I've already pulled all fuses and cleaned all contact surfaces.

2 - The windshield wiper assembly grill doesn't sit flush in its cavity - the LH side sits recessed and tight against the cowl, but the RH side sits a bit high leaving a small gap. I had removed it to repair the windshield washers (replaced a broken plastic elbow with a bit of hosing). Checked and rechecked to see if the wiper system or a hose was getting caught, didn't see anything obvious. Is this normal, or is there something I can do to straighten it out?

3 - There's a low volume but noticeable "chugging" sound (sounds like a train at a distance) coming from underneath the car, seems to be right below the drivers seat. Its frequency varies with speed, both accelerating and decelerating, but only when in Drive. Pitch stays fairly constant. When coasting in Neutral, its gone. Transmission? Differential? Prop shaft bearing?

Thanks!

Last edited by inertian; 02-11-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default One Down, Two to Go

Resolved the second item (crooked wiper grill) with the help of my father-in-law, who noticed that only one of the two smaller bolts (nearest the windshield) supporting the grill had an 1/8" thick washer on it. Duh. Added a matching washer to the other bolt, and all is level again.

While I was in there, I replaced the hose T-connector and remaining end connector that was brittle and cracking. Got an assortment of Ts from a local NAPA parts supply for about $5, and replaced the connector to the washer nozzle with a smaller diameter hose. Now I have full windshield washing functionality back, just in time for a long trip upstate this weekend.

Brought the car to my mechanic to investigate the "chugging' noise. He believed it was something rubbing against a plate of some kind. Apparently is it fairly common and easily (and hopefully, cheaply) fixed.

The washer low fluid warning light is still on, but I don't want to spend the $ to replace it. If I could figure out how to reach it (behind the RH fender wall, right) I could try to clean the sensor, or at least disconnect it. Any advice here?

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,076 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Originally Posted by inertian
The washer low fluid warning light is still on, but I don't want to spend the $ to replace it. If I could figure out how to reach it (behind the RH fender wall, right) I could try to clean the sensor, or at least disconnect it. Any advice here?
THe washer bottle is behind the wheel arch baffle. This must be removed to acces the bottle. Remove the wheel concerned, clean up the area and undo the baffle fixings. On my car the baffle is made of plastic and easily damaged, but a sheet of thermoplastic can easily be cut and shaped to replace a broken one, or a new one bought.

Then take a look at the wiring to the bottle. Maybe the float is not floating, or the contacts are dirty, or a wire shorting, etc etc.

Greg