XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Lynx Eventer clone!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 490 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Lynx Eventer clone!

I've started my plan-a Lynx Eventer clone!! I got the idea to buy an Eventer a few months ago and then saw their prices-approaching $100k! So I thought I'd clone one. My plan is to use a hatch from a Datsun 280Z and still figuring on the side windows.

Pics below:
Name:  IMG_1028.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  265.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1034.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  217.7 KB

Last edited by bullittandy; 06-07-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

That's a very cool project! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Mark

Old 06-09-2015, 04:38 AM

I had an interesting email exchange with the head of the Lynx Eventer society after I asked about purchasing a pair of side windows for my project. Turns out that the Eventer society is not at all enthusiastic about my project and won't sell me any parts.

So, back to original plan of using a cut down windshield for the side windows.

More updates soon...

Old 06-09-2015, 05:20 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

maybe the word ' Clone ' should be replaced with ' replica '

then there is no intention of duplicity ??

BB

Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by bullittandy
I had an interesting email exchange with the head of the Lynx Eventer society after I asked about purchasing a pair of side windows for my project. Turns out that the Eventer society is not at all enthusiastic about my project and won't sell me any parts.

So, back to original plan of using a cut down windshield for the side windows.

More updates soon...
Many years ago I worked in a glass shop so I have a little bit of experience with this.

Most side windows on cars are tempered safety glass, not laminated safety glass that is used for windshields.

From looking at photos of the Eventer I believe that the original side windows are flat and made from tempered glass. I believe that the rear window is also flat and is tempered glass.

This would make sense because having curved glass manufactured is very expensive and would not normally be use on a low-volume car. It would only be done for the windshield.

Any good glass shop can cut and grind tempered glass to the exact dimensions you need. If you can get the measurements from an original Eventer then you could make exact duplicates.

Mark

Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Hey Mark, I may be back to ask some more questions about glass. (Nice to have an inside man...)

Turns out that the side windows of the Eventer are curved in two dimensions, top to bottom (just like door glass) but they are curve around the back of the body in a slight boat tail. I am still determining if the right look can be achieved with flat glass because if it can then all of my problems are solved.

Good point about clone versus replica. I think I've modified too many types of cars because I forget the loyalty some makes create.

I dont have any intention of trying to deceive anyone (though that would be hard since there were 67 made)-just love the shape.

http://avtoindex.com/upload/old/medi...er_1983_30.jpg

Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by bullittandy

Good point about clone versus replica. I think I've modified too many types of cars because I forget the loyalty some makes create.

I dont have any intention of trying to deceive anyone (though that would be hard since there were 67 made)-just love the shape.
here in the UK ( possibly where you are as well ) a ' Cloned ' car is a term used for a stolen car given another cars identity for illegal reasons ,

and i am in no way suggesting that this is your intention , but when you contact people saying you want to ' clone ' an Eventer , this may raise some suspicions in some markets......

a ' replica ' will always be seen as an ' homage' to a rare or unusual car, and though some may not like that, will be accepting of what you are doing

strange how one word can cause problems.....

i would contact the Eventer group again ,

keep the pictures coming

BB

you could always turn her into a flatbed truck........

Last edited by Brake buster; 06-09-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Brake buster
here in the UK ( possibly where you are as well ) a ' Cloned ' car is a term used for a stolen car given another cars identity for illegal reasons ,

and i am in no way suggesting that this is your intention , but when you contact people saying you want to ' clone ' an Eventer , this may raise some suspicions in some markets......

a ' replica ' will always be seen as an ' homage' to a rare or unusual car, and though some may not like that, will be accepting of what you are doing

strange how one word can cause problems.....

i would contact the Eventer group again ,

keep the pictures coming

BB

you could always turn her into a flatbed truck........
That is a wonderful insight, I had no idea of the connotations of the word "clone" in the UK. In the States, the word "replica" is most often used to describe a copy of a car and it can mean anything from an exact replica to something similar in spirit. (I'm a psychologist and languor fascinates me)

I think I'll start a new thread with the title "XJS Shooting brake"