XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Unusual Soft Top Cover XJS

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Unusual Soft Top Cover XJS

While I was Winterizing one of my XJS's I came across this Unusual Soft Top Cover.

I think it may be what they used on XJS Convertibles which were sent out from the Factory on Transporters.

It almost looks like they may have been regarded as disposable, although it seems far too well made for that.

But in any event its just the thing to keep the Cats off my Cat while She's in the Garage.

Maybe someone can expand on this?

Name:  S1030112_zpsjwgibp7q.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  312.6 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
S1030112_zpsjwgibp7q.jpg (312.6 KB, 86 views)
The following users liked this post:
1100me (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

That's an interesting one. Late convertibles had a clear plastic transit cover. which was definitely regarded as disposable.

It may be that earlier ones had a more substantial cover. Or it may be that it was used by Jaguar Dealers as a protective cover when working on the car?

I'll do some more investigation and see what I can find.

Paul

orangeblossom (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

That's an interesting one. Late convertibles had a clear plastic transit cover. which was definitely regarded as disposable.

It may be that earlier ones had a more substantial cover. Or it may be that it was used by Jaguar Dealers as a protective cover when working on the car?

I'll do some more investigation and see what I can find.

Paul
Hi Paul Cheers

Its incredibly well made for what it is and on the other side of the Window Panel, it even has a Foam surround to protect the glass from Scratches.

The Bottom of it has hooks (like on the 'Tonneau Cover') and the sides are jammed in, when you close the doors.

While the leading edge at the Front tucks in before you lock the Soft Top down.

So it isn't going to fly off or anything.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Paul Cheers

Its incredibly well made for what it is and on the other side of the Window Panel, it even has a Foam surround to protect the glass from Scratches.

The Bottom of it has hooks (like on the 'Tonneau Cover') and the sides are jammed in, when you close the doors.

While the leading edge at the Front tucks in before you lock the Soft Top down.

So it isn't going to fly off or anything.
Or, it isn't going to be pushed off in one of those "heavier" duty car (brush type) automatic car wash places.

You, certainly, should not send a soft top through, those systems unprotected.

Also a lot of dealers like to use a pressure washer when "detailing" cars....this cover would be ideal for this.

Ford main dealer used a pressure washer on my 2004 Thunderbird soft top and blew out the stitching in several places....only had 4,000 miles on it at the time....of course they denied it and said it was like that when it went in for the recall issue......yea, right?

BTW....want to sell it?

Rob.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1100me
Or, it isn't going to be pushed off in one of those "heavier" duty car (brush type) automatic car wash places.

You, certainly, should not send a soft top through, those systems unprotected.

Also a lot of dealers like to use a pressure washer when "detailing" cars....this cover would be ideal for this.

Ford main dealer used a pressure washer on my 2004 Thunderbird soft top and blew out the stitching in several places....only had 4,000 miles on it at the time....of course they denied it and said it was like that when it went in for the recall issue......yea, right?

BTW....want to sell it?

Rob.
Car Wash!

Are you Serious!

The closest She's ever got to that are 16 Vestal Virgins, (when available!) washing her with Asses Milk and then drying her with their hair.

Not for sale unfortunately much too useful, if they were disposable covers then it might be the only one left in the World.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-29-2015 at 10:45 AM.
1100me (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Default Attention top manufacturers....

Thinking about it.....some manufacturer should pick up this idea.....I'd certainly entertain the idea of buying one.....got a lot of out door cats here (felix domesticus, that is)....great idea.

Back in the day (when I was earning good money) I had three soft top convertibles and I used to use the manned Auto car washes (really only wanted the undercarriage wash)...they eliminate the brush cycle and that clear coat protection stuff and finish of with a gang of "detailers". I was working such long hours then,I never had time to wash 'em myself....I still prefer the XJS to all of them.

I'm with you, on your washing "ideas".

Rob.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 AM

Oh....also, I really think we are talking about a dealer inspired cover here.

So they should want to protect any XJS convertible in their care.

Certainly, useful on (an as then) $60,000/$70,000 car.

Any useful logbook history with the car, that you found it associated with it?

It occurs, to me now, that this idea will only work well on the XJS (not the H and Es?) because of the clips...can't say I've ever seen another soft top design with clip pockets like that.

Hmmmm....I've got a sewing machine, I believe the clips are still available.....?

Thanks,

Rob.

Last edited by 1100me; 09-29-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thinking about it.....some manufacturer should pick up this idea.....I'd certainly entertain the idea of buying one.....got a lot of out door cats here (felix domesticus, that is)....great idea.

Back in the day (when I was earning good money) I had three soft top convertibles and I used to use the manned Auto car washes (really only wanted the undercarriage wash)...they eliminate the brush cycle and that clear coat protection stuff and finish of with a gang of "detailers". I was working such long hours then,I never had time to wash 'em myself....I still prefer the XJS to all of them.

I'm with you, on your washing "ideas".

Rob.
If the Virgins are not available then I have to wash her myself but as for going to a Car Wash, even with one of my Coupes, I would rather stick pins in my eyes.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Oh....also, I really think we are talking about a dealer inspired cover here.

So they should want to protect any XJS convertible in their care.

Certainly, useful on (an as then) $60,000/$70,000 car.

Any useful logbook history with the car, that you found it associated with it?

It occurs, to me now, that this idea will only work well on the XJS (not the H and Es?) because of the clips...can't say I've ever seen another soft top design with clip pockets like that.

Hmmmm....I've got a sewing machine, I believe the clips are still available.....?

Thanks,

Rob.
Its a bit of a 'niche' market, you hardly see any Sports Cars around these days, so going into production won't make you any money anytime soon.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I have one and it is identical in green. I have had my car 13 years now and purchased off the 1st purchaser. He even had his letter taking the deposit some months before delivery in 1989. At that time there was a waiting list for convertibles; the first Jaguar waiting list since the Arab Israeli war of the early 70's hit sales. He bought it as an early retirement present to himself and his wife. The green hood was neatly folded in the boot along with the toneau cover which was still in its sealed plastic bag - it had never been on ! I always thought it was a cover for delivery to keep the hood pristine and avoid marking by bird droppings.

Like you I put it on in the garage - and for the same reason. If I worked in the garage the four legged cat would always come and watch me and her favourite spot was on top of the wheeled cat - observing my activity with a look of bemused, partial interest.

orangeblossom (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by somethingsomewhere
Yes, I have one and it is identical in green. I have had my car 13 years now and purchased off the 1st purchaser. He even had his letter taking the deposit some months before delivery in 1989. At that time there was a waiting list for convertibles; the first Jaguar waiting list since the Arab Israeli war of the early 70's hit sales. He bought it as an early retirement present to himself and his wife. The green hood was neatly folded in the boot along with the toneau cover which was still in its sealed plastic bag - it had never been on ! I always thought it was a cover for delivery to keep the hood pristine and avoid marking by bird droppings.

Like you I put it on in the garage - and for the same reason. If I worked in the garage the four legged cat would always come and watch me and her favourite spot was on top of the wheeled cat - observing my activity with a look of bemused, partial interest.
Hi

I've got a Triple Car Garage, in which I keep Two of my XJS Convertible plus some space for a Workbench and other assorted stuff.

Each of those Cars has a Car Cover on about £250 each but I've also got a 'Cat' problem and as the doors are not Cat proof, they wander in and out of there all the time and are often found on the Soft Top.

The only pay off being that they keep any Vermin away, Rats & Squirrels etc.

But one day I opened the Garage door only to find that they had been using one of my Car Covers as a 'Scratch Pad' and tore it to shreds, so now as well as the Cover, I also put a Poly Tarp over the top of that.

So now I will be using my hood cover on the one I am using.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

I seem to remember that "in the day.." l saw these covers on new cars when they were on the delivery transporters. Most probably they were sent back to Jag after delivery or there would be a lot around now...But then i'm just guessing