XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Marrelli Dizzy Vent Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Marrelli Dizzy Vent Tubes

Can someone tell me where the left-hand vent tube at the base of the distributor goes (never heard it called a dizzy until this forum..haha)?
The right hand tube exists out the back of the engine and crosses over to the LH wheel well...I think. I'm wrapping up a couple weeks work and don't remember taking it off anything; i.e. a vacuum source. Curious thing is, it has a spring tension clamp on the end. I've earned my "Right of Passage"...Cleaned out the Vee (what an oily mess it was), New plugs (old ones were correct NGK and looked pretty good actually, but were gapped at .040 versus .025), HT leads (old ones had some cracked boots), did Palmer's dizzy shaft nub and silicone squirt.; new cap and rotor of course. Replaced cam cover seals (it already had the Gortex type, which I thought came about later from Ford (mine's a 90), so maybe they were replaced yet the Vee wasn't cleaned? Eliminated the Smog pump and pipes. Bought a 140amp CS130 alternator and moved it up to the smog pump location. Removed the radiator to have it rodded, but was delighted to discover its been replaced or re-cored; had shop add a drain **** though. Made some simple water filters/screens out of SS kitchen strainer mesh, and formed them into the upper inlets. Expansion tank appears to be newer also (in very nice condition). New hoses, including heater valve outlet feed hose (what a pain) Installed a custom made dual electric fan set up. (Removed from a 92 coupe I just bought...more on this new car later). Fixed some broken electrical connectors, installed newer injector harness that came on the parts car (yeah), and cleaned up and re-wrapped a bunch of wiring. I haven't started it yet; and I promise to take pictures and post them tomorrow. So, is the Dizzy suppose to just vent, or be under vacuum?

Last edited by Fla Steve; 09-12-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

The distributor should have a hose connected to the AAV intake hose, and then another that goes over to the left side inner fender. The end should have a small clear filter much like you would see on a small mower, or generator. It draws air in through that little filter.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The 'other hose' goes to item #5 in this picture which itself goes into the AAV hose:

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...alve-5-3-litre

Here's more:
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...e-from-v157116

Cheers
DD

Old 09-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

The above post is correct, you may find as I did the tubing is clogged with ****. It will be worth the effort to attach a new small filter to the end, I used a low density plastic/paper fuel filter off a gas lawn mower it works well and sucks air easily enough.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Okay so someone put a screw/plug in the nipple on the AAV hose...I was wondering. There is another tube by the Brake fluid reservoir with the small filter on it. I have to look from where it originates, but that must be the other vent to the dizzy. (So the vacuum at the dizzy was causing the "Noise" that treborefir was hearing in his "Good Grief" post.
IS there a NEED to have a Vacuum on the dizzy? Thanks everyone, and especially Doug for the links...cleared it up. Man you know how to find stuff. I find it very difficult to search for the IPBs (illustrated parts breakdowns).

Last edited by Fla Steve; 09-12-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
IS there a NEED to have a Vacuum on the dizzy?
Jaguar certainly thought so

You know how is goes with Jaguars. The fundamental design principle was "Never design something with six parts when twelve parts will do the job perfectly well"

Actually, there have been occasional reports of exploding distributor caps so apparently the vent system is justified.

Thanks everyone, and especially Doug for the links...cleared it up. Man you know how to find stuff. I find it very difficult to search for the IPBs (illustrated parts breakdowns).
They're not very well organized. It just takes some practice. I use the parts illustrations often; quite useful when you've forgotten how things go back together two weeks after you took 'em apart !

Cheers
DD

Old 09-12-2018, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

The ventilation is important as otherwise oil fumes can accumulate. Fumes, air and sparks don't go that well together

The following users liked this post:
Fla Steve (09-13-2018)