XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Minimum to run Lucas EFI on 5.3 v12

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Minimum to run Lucas EFI on 5.3 v12

Hey folks,

I think I've only made one post on here but am an avid lurker and I want to first say thanks for the wealth of info that's here on the x27. I have an 85 v12 parts car I purchased it cheap and got it running. The car is very tired, rusty (it's originally from ohio) and was very neglected. It's not worth saving. The motor needs new seals, vacuum lines, injectors, valve clearance job, water pump, etc.

Last week I pulled to motor out of the car because I will be using it in a one off replica. my username should give away what that is. It will be paired up to a t5 and 8.8 rear end. I'm planning to retain the original lucas injection but I'd like to bring it down to the bare essentials for aesthetic reasons. It is pretty basic already as far as I can tell. I will replace any corroded wiring, all connectors, new looming, new injector harness.

So what is really needed to run the lucas system?

ECU/ vacuum line to MAP
Injectors
FPR (Aftermarket-single)
air intake temperature
coolant temp sensor to ECU
ignition amplifier
injector resistor
throttle potentiometer
full throttle switch (I can't locate it)

What I will delete or already have:

air pump
air rails
silly dual FPR
over run valves
power steering pump
oil cooler???

I would like to remove the injector resistor and replace the injectors with low impedance injectors if there's a simple replacement because I need to replace the injectors anyways.

Another thing I'd like to do is relocate the throttle bodies to the front of the intake plenums. The original throttle linkage really bothers me visually and the side draft throttles will likely cause fitment issues with the inner wheel wells. I will build new sheet metal plenums with similar volume and weld them to the factory runners if I go this route. Is the original throttle potentiometer a 0-5v like a more modern TPS?

I've read the original oil cooler really does not do much, what are my replacement options? weld AN bungs on the feed and return and use a generic oil cooler and custom lines? The car will be street driven exclusively and if it's not necessary I will delete it.

Alternator- I'd like to relocate it to the valley on the front of the motor. Has anyone done this for a street application and if so, what alternator did you use as well as the pulley, and tensioner?

Thanks in advance for the help, I know this is a lot of questions in one post but hopefully it can make for a healthy discussion and hopefully I won't be given too much grief for not restoring the car, just the engine.