XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

missing/tacho

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by davidireland
Hello, this is my first time on here. Right to buisness. I have an 89 xjs v12. about five weeks ago i parked the car up and left it for four days. when i went to start , no spark. Anyway changed the crank sensor at the front , a new ignition ecu, a dissy cap and rotor arm. the car is now running on b bank ok and on about two cylinders on A bank. have repaired a short in the injection loom near the throttle pedestal which did enable some of A bank to fire but she is still missing and the the tacho doesnt work, all other gauges do! Prior to parking the car up it was all tickity boo! any ideas, injectors perhaps or plubs?

I'm not an authority on Marelli ignition but besides what you've mentioned, there are two coils and two control modules (above the radiator) that might merit some checking.

Injector harness problems are common....yu may have more breaks besides the one you fixed.

I'd check for spark on all HT leads of A bank before anything else

Cheers
DD

Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by davidireland
Many thanks for your e-mail, I have swaped the coil leads over at the coil end and the distributor end and the same as before so I guess it has to be ,a break in harness, plugs or injectors. Just out of interest a friend of mine has a Plymouth Barracuda are the quite saught after in the States?
David

Baracudas are generally sought after, yes. Desirabilty and price depends greatly on model year and build specification. Some with the high performance engines and/or unusual color or build options can reach astronomical prices.

Cheers
DD