XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

modified XJS on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts
Default modified XJS on ebay

Anyone know this car? I'm thinking for $30k they could have beautified the engine compartment a bit. Wonder what the performance and dyno numbers are like?

Jaguar XJS Coupe | eBay

Gentleman’s Muscle Car - Custom 1988 Jaguar XJ-S ... Amazing condition!!

Highly modified street car that includes:
· 6.1 liter V12 engine with high performance fuel injection and intake systems. Engine has been completely gone through, no expense spared
· Very rare 5-speed Getrag gearbox
· 3.54 limited-slip differential
· Custom big bore rebuild, free flow exhaust
· High performance suspension and steering
· High performance tires on 16” rims
· European bumpers headlamps and fog lights
· Recent tune up (August 2014)

Many other things, too numerous to list

All developed and installed by Donovan Motorcar Service, a premium restoration company in Lenox, MA

Each of the performance improvements added to this XJS’s already considerable muscularity, has resulted in an automobile that is stout-hearted, tough-minded, yet well-bred. This Jaguar is perhaps one of the fastest XJS’s in existence, an XJ-RS for the enthusiast. Now available for less than the cost to reproduce, a reliable car for daily use or for track day events with the Jaguar Club!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

It doesn't look too shabby but 30K?

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

You'd have to question how well the vendor really understands XJSs with some of that description.

I wonder what the "high-performance " tyres are? The Air intakes and manifolds look stock and aren't even the better XJR-S type. I'd question the "high-performance" suspension and steering. And if that's a stock jaguar Getrag 260 box, it won't handle a 6.1 engine very well.

So, nice clean car, but $30k? Not for me.

Paul

Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

I mean it looks clean, but not tidy. That's always bothered me about the early XJS. Messy engine compartment. It's the one thing I covet from the final models: V12 badging and panels covering that mess in the valley. Well that and the extra displacement and 4 speed transmission. Otherwise, I'm an 89 man all day every day.

Agreed that the description is off. Doesn't sound like the seller knows these cars well, or has any real idea of what has been done.

The modified front chin spoiler / bumper without matching side skirts and rear valance looks like an awkward goatee.

$8k maybe. Not 30.

And Norri, thanks for posting the pics. I need to take 5 minutes to figure out how it works on this forum.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Then there's this one which I guess is on E-Bay somewhere too...

PerformanceDrive

Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default looks good but pricey

Nice looker and if the mods are legit a very nice package to own but the price is too high for what it is.
Not sure where he gets 6.1 litre, but a 0.30 over bore for a rebuilt engine would get you close to that displacement. If you tally up a engine rebuild, 5speed conversion and the other goodies, he probably has 20K or so invested in the car, and it would cost most other folks that much or more to do it to their own stock XJ-S.

Last edited by 75coupered; 08-18-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

AS dealers say "there's an a$$ for every seat". They buy low and sell as high as they can - two, three, four times the money if they can. We must be educated consumers!

Old 08-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Anyone know this car? I'm thinking for $30k they could have beautified the engine compartment a bit. Wonder what the performance and dyno numbers are like?

Jaguar XJS Coupe | eBay

Gentleman’s Muscle Car - Custom 1988 Jaguar XJ-S ... Amazing condition!!

Highly modified street car that includes:
· 6.1 liter V12 engine with high performance fuel injection and intake systems. Engine has been completely gone through, no expense spared
· Very rare 5-speed Getrag gearbox
· 3.54 limited-slip differential
· Custom big bore rebuild, free flow exhaust
· High performance suspension and steering
· High performance tires on 16” rims
· European bumpers headlamps and fog lights
· Recent tune up (August 2014)

Many other things, too numerous to list

All developed and installed by Donovan Motorcar Service, a premium restoration company in Lenox, MA

Each of the performance improvements added to this XJS’s already considerable muscularity, has resulted in an automobile that is stout-hearted, tough-minded, yet well-bred. This Jaguar is perhaps one of the fastest XJS’s in existence, an XJ-RS for the enthusiast. Now available for less than the cost to reproduce, a reliable car for daily use or for track day events with the Jaguar Club!
Man, that's too much. At $30K you're talking not only power, but about making an impression. $30K must include a superb and most likely expensive paint job finished to concourse standard. Inside it should feel pretty close to a new car, along with indication that the car has been well taken care of and never neglected.

Heck, I'd sell mine for $20K any day and, immaterial of what's under the hood, it'll pull to 60mph in 5.2 seconds. Doubt that this $30K COUPE can match that. And that's only the beginning, because this baby also features WOW looks and design out front and, it is a convertible, has 17" Revolvers with P zeros, awesome sound system, new wet sanded BRG, head turning engine start/stop button, true HID high and low beams, and, oh, I almost forgot: Nitrous injection system from the UK (Wizards of Nos), currently shooting 130 HP over the stock 219 HP via Digital Progressive Controller. There's a lot more about this car. This is just a hint. Disclaimer: To me, this is not a car for the strip. I don't think that the words "convertible" and "strip" (let alone "4,000 lbs") belong in the same sentence. Does it mean that "then there's no fun"? Absolutely not. You find plenty of opportunities for fun from surprised faces...

I'm actually thinking about what (the buyer) could do to this baby with the extra $10K, you know, as in $30K-$20K=$10K

Nice thoughts...

Cheers

Old 08-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1

Correcting my previous post.../
it says:
"Heck, I'd sell mine for $20K any day and"

meant:
"Heck, I'd be willing to sell mine for $20K".
It's just a subtle politeness adjustment. Somebody may misread the term "just in case" to imply over-confidence to sell the thing any time I want; not so.

Cheers,

Cheers,