XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My car is in

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My car is in

My car is in... Oh boy !!!!! 1990 black XJS convertible. I picked it up about 25 miles from my home. Vermont has some restriction on truck size were the trucker could not get off the interstate. So I picked it up across the river in New Hampshire and drove it home on the interstate.. All I can say is what a ride !!!! I took my 86 old mother on the ride and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice handling and definitely great acceleration.
I looked looked over the exterior pretty good and noticed a few small scratches.. I think that they might buff out. Very nice so far.
I need to do something with the hood gas struts. Ok so I opened the hood and noticed all of the stickers and labels are virtually unblemished. The hoses look like new, and the fuel rail is rectangular.. a couple of dash lights stay on
the horizontal yellow bar is vaguely lit. Emergency brake light is on, but I need to attend to the emergency brake; the cable seems stretched. The big item right now that jumps out at me is the slight gas odor. When I open the gas tank I get the whoosh sound. So should I start at the Rochester value and charcoal canister? Naturally the car will not see too much action until I deal with the marelli rotor and distributor.
Ok so the car temperature gauge needle while driving the 30 minutes home reached the lower portion of the N. That was encouraging. All the fluids were at maximum.. anyway oil and coolant.
I also see why heat is a major concern, it takes awhile for the engine to cool off after I drive. So I will be very aware of that.
I will try to post some photos soon. Thanks to everyone who has given me advise.
Happy 4th, and for those not in the U.S. Happy 4TH !!!!
Jim